In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How was your hunting season?

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by swags, Feb 13, 2018.

1. swags

swags Moderator

With our season over here it’s always fun to look back and see some of the fun stories and experiences people had.

My favorite this year was opening weekend of bow season. My little girl had been waiting for months to go. She has a great setup for the elevated blind I made. I put a tripod rest in it and set the crossbow on it for her. She’s a champ and can shoot really well with it.

We had a little 5 point come in early that night and she was really excited. She got buck fever though and ended up missing the deer. She was bummed and wanted to go home. But I talked her into staying, then right before dark we had three more deer come in. She ended up making a great shot. I helped her steady the crossbow and she nailed it. The deer ended up only making it about 20 yds and crashing right in front of us.

There’s nothing more exciting then a kid getting a deer. The look on her face was priceless. And every time we eat the meat from that deer she relives the moment. Those are the best memories I could hope for as a dad.
    E9F0882E-CCCD-4A08-9420-EB66D5CBD320.jpeg

2. bocefus78

bocefus78

Our weather sucked when I could get in the woods. Too warm. Too windy. Too rainy. Very early rut Etc.

I managed to wack a couple does for the freezer. The only shooter I saw was a 140" ten, that got his butt whipped and had 3 broken tines. He got a free pass.

I hosted a special needs youth hunt on gun opener for a guy and his daughter. Had a methhead doing mag dumps from an AR too close to where she was hunting, so I spent my opening day on the phone with the dnr, and patrolling property lines.

Surely you or the wife knocked one or or two down I'm guessing?

NH mountain man, Loon, swags and 2 others like this.
  3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

My wife gets a buck every year . No need for me to even go:handshake:

We did try making jerky. It was a bit too dry:emb:

4. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Congrats to her, Both of you will never forget that. My grandson killed a doe on a pine plantation down the road. I found a crossing and my son had a ground blind so him and me went and put it up. I had planned on hunting it at the three day Christmas hunt we have. he wanted to hunt it at regular gun season and I told them go ahead but don't kill my big buck I have tied to a tree there. lol

This was at the end of regular season and I was bucked out so they went and got in it one afternoon and right at dark my son calls and said you wanna come down and get this deer. so I bring the truck down to the blind and they're still looking for it. their looking around the pond, I told them it probably ran over the levy to a thicket. went over there and there she lay. this was his second deer.

SANY3404.JPG

5. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

I killed these two opening morning, one at 7:30 and the other at 8. the smaller one was running through a cutover and I got him. he looked bigger than what he was. probably wouldn't have shot him if I had a longer look, but he still eats good, the other one came through same cutover chasing a doe. he did pause to let me see him better. either one is a big deer but my buck hunting was over early. The hardest part was draggin these two through a cutover that was really rough to a lane where I could get the wheeler to. drug them about 75 yards each. then had to put them on the wheeler. I was a tired old goat.lol then had to take them back and gut and skin.

SANY3411.JPG SANY3416.JPG

Chaz, woodsman416, blacktail and 6 others like this.
  6. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Also got a small hog at muzzeloading, two came towards me and I let em get within 50 yards and shot.

Picture1028171904_2.jpg

7. swags

swags Moderator

I did get the buck I was after this year. Ended up being a night I almost didn’t go. It was a monsoon of rain at home and I almost skipped hunting that day. But my brother and I decided to go. We drove through the rain and it ended up being a perfect night. No rain and it was chilly. Right at 4:00 I saw a small buck walk into the food plot. As soon as that deer hit the plot another one came out, ended up having 5 different bucks show up in 5 minutes. The one I was after was the last buck out. He ran a few others off and came back in, gave me the easiest shot I’ve ever had with my bow. 9 steps from me, quartering away with his head down. Ended up being a perfect ending to a hunt.

5B4DC7D9-165D-4757-9AB4-E5FAD2AD6646.jpeg

Chaz, NH mountain man, XXL and 13 others like this.
  8. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Really nice 10.:thumbs:

9. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

I shot 15 including two Sika hinds. No horns for me this year...

Still too many deer around here...

10. Will C

Will C

image.jpg Didn't take the gun off safe this year. Deer kill down I my local area, no real reason. Highlight was the bear my nephew shot. Not a common thing in this area of NY. Kid shot it at the base of tree stand, 3 yards. Weighed 165 lbs dressed.

11. lukem

lukem

Kinda sucked. The weather didn't cooperate at all. Wind was wrong most of the time. October and want November were stupid hot. When the weather was right i was covered up on spike bucks and yearling does.

Got 3 does in the freezer...so we'll eat good, but not much in the way of good hunting.

12. clay shooter

clay shooter

very nice picture well done

NH mountain man and stihl sawing like this.
  13. clay shooter

clay shooter

nice picture well done

NH mountain man and stihl sawing like this.
  14. clay shooter

clay shooter

nice picture well done

stihl sawing likes this.
  15. CNE deer

CNE deer

swags That's awesome you have to be proud of both deer!!

16. fox9988

fox9988

I got a button buck. A week after that my wife got a big doe. A week after that my daughter got a button buck. A week after that my wife got a nice 9 point buck.

.......All with vehicles :hair::headbang:

17. swags

swags Moderator

Lol

18. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Wow, that's some bad luck for sure.

NH mountain man and fox9988 like this.
  19. rdust

rdust

No bucks for me this year, took one doe with the gun on state land and one with the bow in my yard. The one at home was a mercy kill, she had a broken front leg(hit by a car I assume) and was being chased by coyotes the night before I shot her. Long story short my yard was full of coyote tracks, blood and deer hair in the morning. I followed her tracks in the morning expecting to find a body and jumped her off a bed, went back, grabbed my bow and put an arrow in her. Most the meat was good minus a front shoulder and I had to cut out a small bruise on her rump. :)

Pick of the gun kill, bow kill happened when it was sub zero, no time for :ithappened:. :rofl: :lol:

29B676A3-484E-401F-851E-2A24E8FC010A.jpeg

20. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

More of a duck hunter. Mostly bluebills and goldeneyes. Went with a few buddies. Each of us hit a limit. But man, was a rough day. image.jpeg