In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How much should a full log truck cost?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by VOLKEVIN, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

I’d love a load of black locust.:yes:

TurboDiesel, bear 1998 and FatBoy85 like this.
  2. BDF

BDF

I found a vendor not too far away (will deliver here) that sells a truck full (stated to be 7 cord, but they claim between 7 and 9) for $800. All hardwood, and they may be able to supply all oak. I thought that price was a bit high but it sounds better now that you mention yours is $950. Same deal on the size too apparently; they take all trees that are bigger than [10" diameter on the small end] to process into lumber and sell off the rest.

Brian

bear 1998 likes this.
  3. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

$1200 here last time I asked a couple years ago, hard to figure being in the most forested state in the nation

Loon likes this.
  4. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Loads like this make me happy!:D
    02028B5A-B65C-468C-BBBE-80ACD213B737.jpeg

5. Blstr88

Blstr88

The guy I buy from charges $900/load but he gives it to me for $800/load since I've been buying so much from him so consistently. It's always 8-9 cord per load. Last two loads were almost entirely red oak with some sugar maple mixed in. He tells me most firewood people don't want the red oak since it takes so long to dry...I burn in an OWB so I don't care if it's completely seasoned, so he gives me the oak! Love it

bear 1998 and VOLKEVIN like this.
  6. Warner

Warner

Any chance he delivers to the monadnock area I’d love to get a load of all oak!

bear 1998 likes this.
  7. Blstr88

Blstr88

Nah he wouldn't go that far, we're north of lake Winni on the NH/ME border so you're a bit of a haul.

bear 1998 likes this.
  8. Warner

Warner

Figures. Thanks for the reply!

FatBoy85 and bear 1998 like this.
  9. dannyrc

dannyrc

I love that log truck set up you have there!!

bear 1998 likes this.
  10. JustWood

JustWood Guest

Get a couple loads to be ahead of the game and contact some tree services. I got my dad set up with 2 tree services and they cut all his wood to length all under 4' delivered FREE. Also set up a hoist on an I beam he already had in his shop. Loading these monsters is a breeze. I get slabwood and lumber cutoffs to fill in around the big stuff.

Attached Files:

11. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Reading this back Kevin, OWB are just impressive for loading. What’s the width of your door??

12. Woodslave

Woodslave

LodgedTree that's why I sold my OWB after 10 years, I love cutting wood but it was starting to feel like a full time job. KIMG0078.jpg

Loon, bear 1998 and TurboDiesel like this.
  13. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

That is why I bought an inside wood boiler, from everyone I talked too, just putting it inside cut the wood consumption miraculously in half. There could be issues with insurance, and room to place it, but half the consumption sounded good to me.

MikeyB, Woodslave and Farmchuck like this.
  14. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

So will your indoor boiler burn coal and wood both?

15. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Yes, I would not buy any stove that would not burn both kinds of fuel to be honest with you. It is 90,000 btu's burning wood, and 120,000 btu's burning coal.

I actually went to a stove shop to talk about indoor wood/coal stoves, and after describing to the guy the high end propane boiler I have and it's efficiency, the guy said that there was no way I would ever get a decent return on investment from a new indoor wood/coal boiler. At the time they were $7000, so saving $1200 a year in propane would take forever in terms of return on investment.

I actually left kind of dejected. But then on a sell/swap magazine a week later there was a guy selling a USED wood/coal boiler. The price was $700, which was 10% of the cost of a new one! It was easy to figure out the ROI on a $700 stove would be about 3 months, now that made sense. So I bought it.

Now don't get me wrong, it was in REALLY rough shape. But what when you buy things, sometimes a person has to overlook rust. But I started from the bottom, took everything apart and cleaned it up, and then painted it. I even tested the water jacket under pressure for a week, and it never lost 1 psi, so I was fortunate in the buy.

This is the same indoor boiler that my wife posed in front of in her Little Red Dress that guys on this forum tease me about all the time. The long handle that my wife's left hand is resting on is the shaker grate lever. The red bottom, under the ash pan area, was fabricated by me to hide the concrete blocks this boiler sat on to get it higher off the floor for easier loading. This stove also has the option of a coil to aid in domestic water heating.

DSCN1714.JPG

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  16. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Nice. What kind of coal do you burn? Range? Chestnut?

17. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Lots of people burn coal around us down here in PA. Mining was big business here years back.

18. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I burn Reading Anthracite Stove Coal out of Pottsville, PA.

Maine is the most heavily forested state in the nation so firewood reigns here as a heating source for sure, BUT there are quite a few coal burners like me too. That is because Maine grows a lot of potatoes, and somewhere in PA there is a big potato factory. So they haul potatoes down to PA, and then with our cold winters, they back-haul coal (bagged) in those same trucks on the return trip.

Farmchuck likes this.
  19. BrianK

BrianK

Local Craigslist ad

Tri-axle load of firewood logs

Tri-axle load of firewood logs - $625 hide this posting

[​IMG]

Triaxle load of firewood logs delivered, $625 within 25 miles of Ebensburg, will deliver further for additional charge, all hardwood

20. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Pottsville is not to far south of me. And you are correct there are a PILE of potato chip factories in PA