In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How much land are you working with?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by RDG, Oct 19, 2020.

1. RDG

RDG

I burned some Hackberry while living in Western Iowa (Honey Creek). Put out good heat but not nearly as long of a burn as Oak.

2. Slocum

Slocum

We have 19acres. 16 woods. Mostly sugar maple with red and white oak, poplar,cherry, honey locust, hackberry,elm and only a couple hickory. Mother Nature gives me more than I can cut.

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

No land as we rent but have access to the few wooded acres and can take any dead or fallen. Only problem is i have to wheelbarrow it out. Most of my wood i scrounge roadside, through connections or the occasional tree /chain saw job.

4. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Yep, that is pretty much what I have read about Hackberry fire wood.

5. Old Nate

Old Nate

This post really discouraged me... I own 1/3 acre no woods at all. Everything I’ve gotten so far has been scrounged or craigslist finds or friends that have had trees cut down on their property.

6. RDG

RDG

I’ve owned less than 1/3 acre and scrounged like a champ. It’s all good, wood is wood.

7. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

2.88 acres. Mostly Douglass Fir, Ponderosa Pine, Limber Pine, Bristlecone and Aspen. My property is well fire mitigated - so the trees that are still standing are my pets.

I get most of my wood from doing tree work in the area for friends, and from an arborist buddy in Denver.

8. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Got around 700 acres on the family farm. Mostly pasture and timber. Grow enough crops to feed the cattle and sell a little. We have a lot of timber to cut on and it is pretty steep and rugged (for Iowa). We cut Elm, White Oak (mostly Burr), Red Oak, Black Oak, Honey Locust, Hackberry, Cherry, Black Walnut and Shagbark Hickory. Softer woods include: Maple, Willow, Boxelder and Cottonwood. Those are our most common.

9. RDG

RDG

You must be in the eastern part of Iowa. That’s a lot of land!!

10. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Yes, Eastern part. Between Cedar Rapids and Marshalltown right along U.S. HWY 30.

11. RDG

RDG

I rode through there a few times on my way to visit my sister in Lancaster Wisconsin. Very pretty area.

12. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

2 1/2 Acre lot. About 1 acre wooded. Austrian Pine, Cherry, Hickory, Oak & two Walnut trees, also some Mulberry. I've got access to about 1200 acres of farm ground & other private lots to cut on, so I only cut dead on my own. Mostly the Pine.

13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Less than 2 acres here...lots of trees, but I rarely cut anything here, other than storm damage...but have access to hundreds of acres of woods...way more wood than I can use. I actually have wood stacked up off the ground still in the woods at work...and down trees that I made sure were basically up off the ground too, until I can get to them. I may just tell a coworker to cut some of that...he just bought a new house and is finding out that it may not be that easy to heat...has LP furnace now...probably looking for a wood furnace soon...

14. MAF143

MAF143

We have 75 acres and 63 of it is woods. Many species of hardwood here and 3 homes get heated out of it at this time. Still way more wood than we need. Ash is my favorite and there is still some standing dead that is still good, but some of it is getting punky. Hate to see it go to waste. I had just cut dead stuff for years, but after getting advice from a state forester and learning how to cull the not so great trees so the best ones can grow better and faster and to make great lumber, we have been able to get up on the three year plan quickly. The sawmill is aweful handy as well for "free" lumber. The wife likes the house at 74* all winter and the woodstove makes that easy and inexpensive while keeping me in much better shape than being a couch potato.

I like being outside in the woods whether it be on a quad or with a chainsaw in my hand. The wife loves it here too, she grew up in this woods and played in the creek a lot. We enjoy walks and swapping childhood stories of growing up in the woods.

15. RDG

RDG

I have a
    I have a lot of family up in north central Ohio , Sandusky,Plymouth,Willard, Tiffin, Norwalk etc.

16. jrider

jrider

8 acres at my moms where I process all of my wood. 5 acres is field and that’s where the tree companies come in and dump. Have cut standing dead in her woods but not much. The property has state forest across the street and behind us so it feels much bigger as it’s a long walk to access the woods behind us. There are 6 property owners within this island inside the state forest. Not a bad slice of pie here in south Jersey.

Attached Files:

M2theB, Midwinter, Horkn and 6 others like this.
  17. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Every time we tell someone how much land we have their mouths drop open. Most people have suburban .25-1.5 acre lots. I’d love to have more. I told my wife if I could have a 200 acre spread in the mountains I’d love it. Her.....not so much

18. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

22 acres about 1/2 woods, Ash, Shagbark Hickory, Red Maple, beech and just a couple of Red Oak!

Slocum, M2theB, Horkn and 7 others like this.
  19. RDG

RDG

There is another 87 acres just to east of my property that I could probably get at a reasonable price but the people who logged it should be put in jail. They absolutely destroyed that land a few years back. Pretty sad to see honestly.

20. Krackle_959

Krackle_959

We have 153 acres, 150 of it is wooded, 60% hardwood and 40% softwood. It is more than I will ever be able to manage in its current state, as it hasn't been touched in 60 years. I just cut 10+/- cord of maple, red oak, ash, and white birch to create a 500' woods road to get logging trucks to where the landing will be. The plan is to have it selectively cut this winter to get it back into shape for better future wood.

People are shocked we have as much land as we do in this area, most are on 5-10 acres or less, we really lucked out with this property.

M2theB, DaveGunter, Horkn and 6 others like this.