In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How long do firebricks last?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by saskwoodburner, Nov 7, 2017.

1. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Curious what stove you're running and how long the firebricks last or have lasted before they give up and need replacement?

I've been running my Englander 17 going on the 4th year now, 3-3.5 cord a year. I cleaned the stove up the other day, and while taking ash from the bottom (I always leave a layer except for top down chimney to floor cleaning days) I noticed the right side wall brick cracked about 1.5 inches up from the bottom. I jury rigged a few pieces of steel to hold it in place and went on my way.

Now this morning I'm stirring coals before I boot up the morning fire, and I notice the left side has a crack, same place, and upon more inspection, one at the back has a crack in it.

So what gives, did I win the lotto because they lasted this long, or did the built in self destruct code activate itself at 4 years 2 months?:D

Not gonna cry about it as I've saved a ton of $$$ running this little reactor.

So what kind of luck do you guys have?

2. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

:popcorn::beerbbq:

wildwest likes this.
  3. papadave

papadave

I have one in the back of the 30 that's cracked, but it doesn't pose a problem. I probably banged a split into it at some point.
    I might replace it next spring.

4. yooperdave

yooperdave

The bricks in the fisher knock off I have have never been replaced by me. That stove has some good use as it is obviously a pre-EPA, but then again, when I load it (used to load it) I would place the chunks in the burn box, not throw them into it.

5. papadave

papadave

:whistle:
    Placed is how I do it too, but I think I place a bit too heavy handed sometimes.:picard:

6. Warner

Warner

I think it depends on a lot of things.
    Type of brick, care when loading, what kind of heat cycles the list goes on. The bricks that have been in the stoves I have used have been cheap and eaisly replaced so it has been no biggie when one need attention.

If you do take them out take a pic or draw a map Incase you don’t have time to put them back or your like me and CRS

7. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

Base/baffle bricks- indefinitely or til a dumb move by me.
    Back bricks- first aggressive load technique (could be first year, could last 30yrs).
    Stoves that use firebricks as part of the baffle system are nice; easy to replace but rarely need replacement.

8. Highbeam

Highbeam

I find that the base bricks get corroded/eroded. It's like the surface spalls off. You'd think they should be protected under the ash but I suppose it gets pretty hot down there.

I have never replaced any bricks in the current stoves since 2012. My last stove was a stoner with no firebricks and no cracks.

9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Well woodn’t we all if our hands are getting burned? I try to place too. The ash seems to help

Camber, saskwoodburner and papadave like this.
  10. SolarandWood

SolarandWood

I've put ~80 cord through the BKK and the bricks are heavily eroded but none are cracked. Erosion pattern not surprisingly is a radius from the middle of the stove with the corners in pretty good shape. They all need to be replaced at this point other than maybe the lower base layer.

11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

In all the years of wood burning I can remember only one firebrick being replaced.

Our present stove, the Woodstock Fireview is into it's 11th heating season. Brick is still in good shape.

12. Grahamt

Grahamt

Just searched fire bricks in threads and ended up hear .
    18 month in and probably burned for 15/16 month and my back brick has cracked .
    Is it a get it replaced asap or do it now ?

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

How large is the crack? From what Ive read, if the crack is hairline then leave it until you clean up for the non-burning season. Large cracks may just cause the brick to fall if its one that’s standing up. But I don’t think it’s going to be a bother unless it becomes a hole.

14. Grahamt

Grahamt

IMG_7451.JPG On the lower back piece smack bang in the middle

15. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Noticeable, I hope others chime in on this soon.

Grahamt likes this.
  16. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

We get about a year and a half, maybe 2 before one or two crack. My wife and 17yr old son both add wood, so I'm sure it just gets thrown in there sometimes. I ask nicely but you know how that is. They are cheap enough that I don't raise too much stink over it.

17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Dennis are those regular firebrick or soapstone.. my firebox is soapstone lined half inch (roughly) pieces of soapstone they don' seem to wear or Crack no evidence of wear starting year 3 ... the lightweight almost white brick from BBS those I replaced whenever broken.. every couple years

18. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

6th burning season here with my Englander 13NC.....................I found a couple of bricks that were broken in half up0n cleaning my stove at the end of last years burning season, which was the 5th burning season with my stove. The broken bricks were on the walls/sides of the stove. After cleaning; all I did was put the broken bricks on the bottom of the stove................as they're usually covered with ash 98% of the burning season.

No performance loss at all. In fact, burning is better, because I'm burning wood that's been entered into the "3 year plan"!!!

BWS regards!!!!:thumbs::handshake:

19. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Just regular brick.

FatBoy85 and Canadian border VT like this.
  20. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

This will be the failure of my baffle boards and bricks. Id be willing to bet that me and my big mits will cause more damage than normal wear and tear ever will.

papadave likes this.