In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hot morning

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jo191145, May 22, 2024.

1. jo191145

jo191145

Too funny!!

I’ll do the 6-7 shift. He can do the 7-5. Big party afterwards. No pool tho.

T.Jeff Veal, jrider, John D and 4 others like this.
  2. Timberdog

Timberdog

What kind of snake is that?

3. jo191145

jo191145

Eastern Diamondback

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

How did those sash weights work out?

T.Jeff Veal, brenndatomu and jo191145 like this.
  5. jo191145

jo191145

They work well. You can (almost) see them in use on the tarp to the right :) They did fail to keep the tarp down in a storm with the “rope ridge” allowing air over the top of the wood. Once I removed that rope and allowed the tarp to drop down they havent failed yet. As much as I like the rope ridge air flow I’m considering doing away with that feature. Just too many failures with storms.
    The cheap rubber bungee cords have failed. Rubber Chinese bungee cords aren’t worth a dime. I found that out years ago but had hoped it was a fluke.
    I did buy 100’ of quality bungee cord material on a roll at the suggestion of brenndatomu but it’s so pretty I don’t want to use it. The disappointment would be too great LOL
    I’m out of window sash weights so using green red oak splits for weight.

IMG_3271.jpeg

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive bought the cheapo bungees and they don't last. Both the "rubber" and bungee cord types. What's the scoop with this special roll of bungee cord you bought?

7. jo191145

jo191145

It’s just quality bungee cord material on a roll. Can cut to desired lengths. I have tarp clips and hooks to go with it. Biggest issue I have is mental. Didn’t want to cut a bunch up then decide to change something making them useless. Besides you brought me the sash weights so I went in that direction. Clothesline rope can be cheap. Time will tell how cheap you can go and still be useful.

8. jo191145

jo191145

This pic was supposed to be a video. Thought it would be a good time to video the log arch pulling the logs to it. I seldom try to back over a log, just not worth the effort with a winch. Nasty section of forest. Very rocky section at the bottom of a a steep hill. We never went on this area of our property to get firewood until recently. The pic isn’t the hill just as far as I felt backing into this mess. Big white oak on the right which is what I started out to get. Small red maple came down with it as well as an ash. Cut some of the oak top and maple that was jammed into a double tree. Decided to winch out the maple first because I was lined up with it. Oh well, guess I don’t know how to video well.
    IMG_3301.jpeg

Not enough speed to get up the hill. Slid back down to the bottom until the longest log smacked into a tree :) Got the log hung up a bit against the tree, atv stuck because of the hang up. Had to cut four feet off the log. Made it up the next shot WOT spinning all th eway. I’m not going back down there anytime soon. That WO can stay down there. I have nice flat land to clean up with less rocks hiding under the ferns.
    These two sticks are all I accomplished this morning. Too much effort, too little return.

IMG_3305.jpeg

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Used baler twine and old cinderblocks...;)

10. Elm-er Fudd

Elm-er Fudd

Only two things I hate worse than summer…mowing grass and maintaining the pool. If it wasn’t for those two things, summer would be my 4th favorite season.

11. jo191145

jo191145

Too weak and too heavy. Blocks will rip the eyelets out of a tarp. They’ll also chafe through a rope rather quick. Wood works well and I have extra. The green oak may be a little too heavy also. Too much weight also makes the splits in the pile want to poke through the tarp. Even with the rubber strip on top i noticed it looked taut after some wind and sun stretched everything out. Next time I’ll try seasoned

12. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    We had to have a tarp on a roof for a couple of months many years ago. We used water filled plastic bottles for weights to keep the tarp from leaving in a wind.

13. Dok440

Dok440

I moved the splitter under the trees a few days ago. Makes a big difference. Obvious right? It means moving the wood more but so worth it. I don't process the wood during the heat of the afternoon, only mornings and after dinner. 93F and getting hotter every day. I have one more fairly large three stem oak to process then can I put the firewooding away until the Fall.

That's a really nice setup with the log arch, wood bin and conveyor!

14. jo191145

jo191145

The Bible tells us God made light. What it neglected to report was by afternoon God said Hey this is crazy, let there be a Lemonade tree grove with shade :)
    93 is up there IMO. I’ll be avoiding anything like that I hope. Keep cool.

15. Dok440

Dok440

Lemonade- now that sounds good!

16. jo191145

jo191145

When it rains it pours. No rain, just a myriad of breakdowns
    First I was pulling the conveyor to recenter it inside the pen. Center does matter. The electrical contactor gave out when I had it pulled over. Couldn’t release the winch rope and that’s one heavy conveyor. Had to cut the rope to get it off :)

so the arch is down, can’t bring more wood, I’ll split what’s there. Then my atv died. It would fire but die immediately. Pulled the old JD out of its slumber and dragged the atv and splitter back home. I never leave expensive stuff in the processing area. ATVs drive by, most of those are good people but these days,,,,,,
    FWIW I found a mouse nest in the air box. Computer sensed a little less air than normal and put the engine in “safe mode”. Happy I didn’t have to bring it to a dealer.

Today I just finished with some shorts I had laying around. Got little piles of these things all over. Soon I’ll bring them in my mother’s basement and let them dry down there. Sounds bad but it’s better than the alternative. I catch my mother all winter scrounging pieces of wood laying in the processing area. Argue all I want she won’t stop. Now at least they’ll have some time to dry. :)

IMG_3306.jpeg IMG_3309.jpeg IMG_3307.jpeg IMG_3308.jpeg

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

$uck$ about the breakdowns. One of my adversions to OPE. Always at a bad time it seems. Well is there ever a good time for a break down? At least you weren't way out in the woods somewhere.

My mom would've been doing the same. Cant change em.
    Thursday it will be two years since she passed at 96.

T.Jeff Veal, John D, MikeInMa and 2 others like this.
  18. jo191145

jo191145

Does the O in OPE stand for ornery? Yeah equipment breaks but the other option is breaking myself LOL
    The truck is having issues too. For a while there I was down to the Honda Civic. Can’t do much woodin with that. Scout vehicle only.

Sorry about your mom. 96 is a long life my friend. Now I know where you get your stamina.
    Mines 89 and just figuring out she can’t do everything she wants. Stubborn is not always a bad thing but it can bite you in the learning process.

19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Stuff a few rounds in the Civic. The "car hoarding thread" is fun to post in. Can it haul the trailer? :D

Whats wrong with the truck?

T.Jeff Veal, MikeInMa and jo191145 like this.
  20. jo191145

jo191145

That poor car has had a hard enough life already
    Truck overheated a few weeks ago. Not blowing steam just saw the temp gauge go high then drop down. Switched to electronics and watched numbers fluctuating. Not normal. About a quart low on coolant, shouldn’t have much of an effect it holds 6.5 gallons. Figured it’s the thermostat getting ready to go.
    I did find gunk all over the radiator cap. It’s radiator sealant. I never put any in. Wondering if a dealer would do that? Don’t know why they would but nowadays with warranty work I wouldn’t put it past them.
    And the front shocks both rusted through and let the gas out. I’ll tell ya they use some crappy steal on these new trucks.

I was just thinkin this morning. You may get a laugh out of this. The last breakdown I never mentioned was yesterday. That time of year to switch from long pants to shorts. Found my old shorts and went out to split those chunks. The button on my shorts popped off, no belt. I was so frustrated by all the other crap that went wrong I just dropped the shorts and split the wood in my underwear LOL
    Now that Ct redneck for ya LOl

T.Jeff Veal, Dok440, John D and 3 others like this.