In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hot Hemlock

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by JDU, May 23, 2024.

1. JDU

JDU

No, not stolen goods. Hemlocks behind camp got bent and some broken from ice/snow storm last winter, and never recovered. Got permission to cut them down (state land). I don't go out of my way for Hemlock but use it as starter wood and hot fires when opening up camp in winter. Doesn't last, but burns hot. And obviously, did not have to go far to the wood pile.
    The hot part of the story was yesterday afternoon it was pushing 80 with 80% humidity. Took several breaks when splitting and fortunately a thunderstorm came along and ended my sweat fest and meals for the blackflies before finishing. Had to hydrate on the front porch with a couple or three cold ones!
    :coldone:
    DSC02291.JPG DSC02486.JPG

2. jo191145

jo191145

Yeah I’d say those are close to home. Many wood folk take the summer off. Those who don’t have to readapt every year to the weather. The older I get the worse it gets :)

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice that you're putting them to good use. Manageable size too. Yeah, not fun making firewood when its hot and humid.

JDU, jo191145 and John D like this.
  4. billb3

billb3

Sadly that happens too often with atlantic white cypress here. The deer really gobble down the seedlings so there isn't much regeneration that makes it.

JDU likes this.