In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hookaroon

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by 94BULLITT, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

Chaz and 94BULLITT like this.
  2. Red Elm

Red Elm

Effect_20160328_165832.jpg

I had the Peavey company make me a 60" Pickaroon with the Penobscot head. With this sucker I can stand on the ground behind the pick-up with the tailgate down and still reach almost to the front of the bed. NICE!

I have found the Penobscot pattern head works the best on our very hard woods, ie. hedge, pecan, etc.

Chaz, Eric VW and A Visitor like this.
  3. A Visitor

A Visitor

Looks good.
    I bought a Peavey Holbrook style head only and definitely need to reshape the point .
    [​IMG]

Chaz likes this.
  4. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

How about a picture of the head so we can see what a Penobscot looks like.

metalcuttr and Chaz like this.
  5. Red Elm

Red Elm

1459212221016-662320500.jpg

The Penobscot, BOTTOM, compared to the Katahdin. Both by Peavey. I like the 15" Katahdin when working in the stacks, but prefer the heavier and straighter Penobscot head in the timber loading from the ground. The Katahdin has more "hook" to it. Wish I would have had these years ago.

metalcuttr, Chaz, Darkimpulse and 3 others like this.
  6. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Thanks for the comparison.

7. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

Just be careful, it will go thru the bed of the truck!!!

metalcuttr, JackHammer, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  8. Gavorosalini

Gavorosalini

Are you still liking the 60" length? Im in the same school of thought of reaching the front of the truck bed from the back.

metalcuttr and Chaz like this.
  9. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Old thread.

I replaced the tips on my two Logrites pickaroons to the new style. Couldn't throw out the old tips so I made a 6' footer for pulling rounds and firewood out of the back of the truck. Works very well. 0126201709.jpg 0126201710.jpg

10. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I had the Fiskars 28" hookaroon. I didn't really like the tip that much - it dulled quickly and doesn't bite well.

Just picked up the 30" Logrite. The tip is way better - easier to hook and easier to release. However, I don't like the handle because it is symmetrical and it's a little easy to hold it just off center thus causing a misstrike. If it had the handle of the Fiskars and the tip of the Logrite it would be perfect. I might make some finger molds out of some hockey tape and wrap it with some tennis grip. I think that will help and will be easy to replace as opposed to the foam grip that already has a rip in it after only a few weeks.

Also the logrite is 30" and I do like the slightly longer length. Less bending but still light and easier to reach that piece you have your eye on on top of the pile.

Logrite

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fiskars:

[​IMG]

metalcuttr, Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  11. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Logrite used to make it 1 3/8" diameter.....but they changed it to 1 1/8" now so it's much better. That is way smaller than their cant/peavey diameter which I also own.

Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  12. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I've also started to just touch up the tip on the logrite using some 120grit sandpaper and just taking some nice easy strokes......Trying to do that after a few days of use so it doesn't get to the point where it needs major work. Has been staying pretty darn sharp doing it this way.

metalcuttr, Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  13. Gavorosalini

Gavorosalini

Ive got the pickaroon from log ox, that doubles as a cant hook and timber stand. The point on it is great. Like the other round handles i do miss strike often and have managed to lose the pins that hold it on as well. It also gets to be a bit heavy by the end of the day. Rightfully so, being as it is used for prying large logs around. For grabbing rounds out of the truck bed I feel like a 60" would be perfect. But also thank a 15" would be pretty handy too. Anyone have experience with the Garrett Wade pickaroons? They look nice to me.

metalcuttr, Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  14. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

For all of you that use the hookaroon to grab logs/rounds near the cab in the bed from the tailgate area I highly suggest you take a look at the HarborFreight cargo unloader. Here's a link to a thread I started on it........

It has saved my back so much pain - no longer do I need to get up in the bed and toss rounds out. I just crank the sheet and the entire bed just moves right off as if it were on a conveyor belt. You do need to be mindful of anything that may get snagged at the wheel wells but that is minor work comparing to unloading the entire bed manually.

I've only used it so far for rounds (of all sizes including huge ones) as well as splits. It's great for unloading 1/3 of a cord (bed capacity) and dumping it into a driveway. You can also use it for gravel, mulch, dirt, sand, etc....

And it's only $40.

HarborFreight Cargo Unloader! AMAZING!

Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  15. Gavorosalini

Gavorosalini

Those look pretty slick and appear to work well. My thought was because i use multiple truck bed trailers and trucks would be swapping it back and forth or buying multiple ones.

Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  16. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

First world problems. :D

"What truck should I drive today? Eenie, meenie, minie, mo........."

Heh heh. I just leave it on all the time. Doesn't get in the way and since I've got it locked on the tailgate pretty good I don't want to loosen it unnecessarily.

At $40, buying multiple ones is not that big of a deal. It's got to be the best bang for the buck mod on any vehicle I've ever owned........even better than the $250 push button start for my MINI.....and that's saying a lot.

Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  17. Chaz

Chaz

Huh.. UPS must be tracking me online..
    :eek:

Delivered this today..

20200904_191301.jpg

Not the quad..
    :doh:

LordOfTheFlies likes this.
  18. Gavorosalini

Gavorosalini

Not a bad problem to have, more than one truck that is. But, its more like which one will start today or which one aint full of crap already, or which one has air in all 4 tires, or which one requires the least amount of moving other stuff to get it out, or which one already has the car seats in it cause I dont feel like moving those heavy a** things again.

Chaz likes this.
  19. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Here's a Pickaroon/ax, I made out of an old broken Kelly True Temper Perfect double bit ax. I have used it a lot. Today I put a new handle in it. I shoehorned a single bit ax handle into it. The original handle was still good, but I had been wanting to try this Adirondack type double bit ax handle set up for a while. I think I am going to like it. I set it up with the curved side towards the pick, so that when I pick up a split, it hangs better in my hand for lifting and swinging the wood into the bed of my side by side, truck, etc. They make those actual Adirondack handles but I was having a hard time finding one to buy at a reasonable price. It's a little challenging to modify a standard singlebit ax handle to fit a double bit, but I think I have as solid scold on it. We will see how it holds up.

Ax Handle Change to Pickatoon AX.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Mag Craft and Mitch Newton like this.
  20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Peavy Hume 28-32"
    I love mine