In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Homemade beef jerky

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Pallet Pete, Dec 10, 2016.

1. wellin

wellin

Looks good.

saskwoodburner and Pallet Pete like this.
  2. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

anyone ever use a food dehydrator for this?

saskwoodburner likes this.
  3. savemoney

savemoney

No, I do open the door at the end, and let the oven cool down with the Jerky in it. Just bought 4 lbs of top round today. It was on sale at our local Hannafords. $2.49 a pound. They sliced it up for me. Very lean. They didn't get it as thin as I like so I will roll it out some. I paid $15 at the butcher shop for two pounds. They cut it right. But it is easy enough to pound or roll out to be thinner. Eat that for a snack. You won't be hungry.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  4. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

IMG_0736.JPG

Pallet Pete, TripleF, raybonz and 3 others like this.
  5. savemoney

savemoney

I have, but I don't really care for it for meat. The reason being that the hottest they get is 160. That is the lowest setting to assure germs are distroyed. I have a lot more faith with 180 F in the oven. I have read that some folks do leave the oven open a bit but that increases the time needed to dehydrate the meat. I don't want dried out meat, or crispy meat. After the meat is done the way I want it, I do bag it up and keep it in the refrigerator. Just another way of germ control. I don't know if it is all in my head or not, but I think the jerky is better after a week. That is why I try to stay ahead with it. A couple peices and I am satisfied and able to keep on my diet.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  6. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Dehydrators work fine, but are kind of pokey if the jerky is thick. Even if you use a jerky gun, you'll still have to move pieces around later on for best drying.

Been awhile since I had a production run of jerky, but here's my poor mans way for the best jerky. I use a smoker, the oven, and a dehydrator all at the same time.

My smoker is kind of dinky, it's an ancient lil chief? Dad got at an auction sale for $1. If you run your jerky in anything that kicks out smoke for the first hour or so, and then removing it and putting it in the oven or dehydrator to finish, you'd almost never know it wasn't cured the whole time in a smoker. That's my quick cheat I discovered by accident.

I found the smoker and the dehydrator take longer as stand alone, so if you're in a hurry, run it in the oven first and then finish up in the dehydrator.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  7. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Another thought on using the oven (not trying to overtake Pallet Pete's posting here, trying to add to it) is to pre-heat it to around 220-240 and shut off the oven before opening up and filling your racks. Stuff it with jerky and wait a few minutes so the heat from the oven warms the air. Then turn it to it's lowest setting. It will heat up quicker because it's already warm, and when/if it calls for heat, your oven element won't crank on for very long.

I honestly can't say if it makes a difference, but I feel good about doing it that way!

I also leave the door cracked a smidge (1/4 or 1/2") as I don't believe it cools the stove to any great amount, and it may create a slight convection to help dry the jerky better. Again, I didn't test this in a lab, but it sounds reasonable.

8. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

As saskwoodburner said, I pre heat the oven, and leave it closed for the first 10-15 minutes, then set the oven to 200 and put a wooden spoon in the door, put the meat rack right on the oven rack, no drip pan, put foil on the oven rack in the bottom if your worried about drips, put the meat as high in the oven as you can, usually takes no more than 3 hours. Heat and air flow are the keys to quick drying...sound familiar huh? I do this with plain unmarinated beef and use it as dog training treats, keeps fine in the fridge. Marinated should keep even better, the salt in the marinade will take care of most of the bacteria. Higher end dehydrators can be set for higher temps if you are really worried about the bacteria.

9. savemoney

savemoney

Just finished taking 4 lbs out of the over. I started it on Thursday, but on Friday, we had no power, so they stayed in the marinade for another day. I sampled them tonight. Very strong pepper effect. I used the same amount I always use. I have a method. I start with every ingredient on my right and move it to my left as I use it. This recipe calls for one teaspoon of black pepper. I used white pepper because that is what I have on hand and have used before. But wow, this is really some "blackened" jerky. I won't be overeating this stuff. I wonder if the extra day of marinating increased the bite of the pepper?

Pallet Pete, Chvymn99 and DaveGunter like this.
  10. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

You gettin all French and fancy on us Larry:)...Mise en place
    Mise en place - Wikipedia

Maybe the beef had a little more fat in it this time?... the fat will absorb the heat of the pepper. If you ever get ahold of something painfully hot and want to get the heat out of your mouth, eat a piece of cheese or drink some milk slowly.

Pallet Pete, savemoney and Chvymn99 like this.
  11. TripleF

TripleF

I read.....keeps fine in fridge.....but "jerky" doesn't need to be refrigerated correct? If It's dried out, it's dried out. Adding the potential for moisture
    from the fridge can increase the possibility of mold.

12. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

I'd say around here it's almost a miracle type event if jerky would last long enough to go bad! I've frozen bags of jerky, and thawed in fresh paper towel to soak up condensation and it was fine. I've always thought the combination of dehydration and curing salts that come with the jerky mix I use, probably keep it safe.

I've also forgot jerky in my hunting jacket pocket in early October muzzle loader season, and discovered it 4-5 weeks later and ate it with no ill effect. You need to park your bite for about 5 minutes though or you'll loosen teeth!.

13. savemoney

savemoney

Had a few pieces again today. Not nearly as pepper strong as noted yesterday. They are two patches mixed separately. have to wait and see if there are more real peppery ones. I did get a phone call while I was trying to put the ingredients together

Pallet Pete likes this.
  14. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

what happened to the jerky shooter????

Pallet Pete likes this.
  15. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

:thumbs:

image.jpg image.jpg

16. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Well here are my impressions after three attempts to make with the jerky gun.I give up it is a piece of crap and not worth the cardboard it comes in...... I got so pizzed off this morning I tossed it in the trash. It broke on me and I was sent another then I ordered a second different brand and it was also crap.

I think I will stick to my normal style of beef jerky.

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and Chvymn99 like this.
  17. savemoney

savemoney

upload_2017-4-9_10-0-13.jpeg upload_2017-4-9_10-3-15.jpeg
    These two make fantastic jerky. I use 85% ground beef. I like the end that makes two strips at once. I put them strips on stainless steel racks and put those in the oven @180 F for 3.5 hrs. Then open the door to the oven and let the whole thing cool off. One recipe uses two pounds of beef. I have made this several times with really good results. Both the jerky maker and the seasoning are available on Amazon. I like to clean up the jerky maker, then run all the parts through the dish washer making sure the parts are sanitized.
    Just to be on the safe side, I store my processed jerky in the refrigerator.

Chvymn99 and Pallet Pete like this.
  18. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Are you too strong for your own good?:eek:

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Where exactly did things go sideways?