In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Home insulation

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Nitrodave, May 30, 2020.

1. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

Who here is an insulation guru ??

Got a quote today from Retrofoam...
    have a quote coming also for dense pack cellulose in the walls.

working on a modular , 2x6 walls, and fiberglass batts.. assuming they are r-19

problems, concerns, results ?? Is it even worth doing ??

or would money be better spent on new lp smart siding and a wrap of tyvek ??

already going to blow a bunch in the attic area... have cathedral ceilings... so hopefully just fill up attic ...
    And yes we will add the air channels.

2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I would do the attic and see how much that helps, that’s where a lot of heat leaks. How are the windows?

There a folks here that know a lot more than I do about insulation, I’m sure they will help out

Good luck!

3. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

I’ve been doing a ton of research... it gets confusing on what works and what doesn’t.
    Then it’s a matter of how much perfume is too much for the pig.

4. Stinny

Stinny

We're thinking about blowing in cellulose overhead (attic space) in our 26x44 ranch too, Nitrodave This house heats up so fast, on a 75 degree day, it's nuts. And, winter heat loss is so much I have to roof rake snow, from the eaves, every snowfall. Built around 1980. Have not opened the hatch up there yet, to see what's what... expecting roof trusses, with 6" fiberglass insulation only. Thinking 14" of cellulose would help a lot?

Hope some folks chime in...

5. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

Absolutely... it is my understanding that cellulose helps with air sealing. Much better when dense pack, but can’t do that in an attic.
    This house cools off too quick for me too...

6. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

Fiberglass batts in an environment with airflow, they don’t do much.

7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Fiberglass batts loose rating for insulation at -10 or so but they don’t tell you that!

8. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

What was pice on foam? It is great for air sealing and R value but BIG $$

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Air sealing means just as much as the insulation value itself...you can do a lot with a Seek thermal camera (turns your cell phone into a thermal camera) and a few cans of spray foam!
    I have had foam blown into my walls where there was no insulation...didn't make a huge difference surprisingly. (brick house BTW)
    I replaced really old Pella windows with quality modern windows...no difference really (except for looks)
    I have "cut and cobbled" foam board around the sill plate and rim joist in the basement...seems to have helped a bit.
    Have also beefed up insulation in the attic (was very little originally) once (helped some) and am in the middle of a second and final round of air sealing/insulating the attics (cape cod style) I think adding a good layer of blown insulation in the upper attic is going to be the most "bang for the buck" for me, but every house is different.
    If you are going foam, look into "Airkrete"...all of the advantages of regular spray foam (plus many more) and none of the negatives (except price) Home | Airkrete - All Green Light Weight Cement Insulation!
    If I had it to do over again I would definitely use Airkrete...very disappointed with the foam I got.

10. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

$3.85 a sq. Ft. But then there is currently a 16% discount.
    Within financial reach IF it is worth it.
    Has lifetime transferable warranty. Sounds like they really stand behind their work. Or they have a good sales pitch . :smoke:

11. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

brenndatomu this was through Retrofoam co. Air sealing is the primary reason for doing the walls. I just don’t want to remove the interior walls and insulation to seal everything up.

12. Stinny

Stinny

Anyone have good or bad stories using Home Depot's offer of "buy 20 bags cellulose insulation and the blower rental is included"? Will the blower send insulation thru about 100' of hose no prob, or...?

13. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

Those machines work good for loose blown.. attic stuff... but they don’t have the power for dense pack... maybe a medium pack...

14. JCMC

JCMC

I had 18" cellulose blown into attic a couple of years ago along with window replacement. It has made a significant improvement but still need to do some foundation sealing. Oh! my house was built around 1790.

Nitrodave, Chaz, Stinny and 2 others like this.
  15. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Hmm...I need to look it up again, but I think it was Retrofoam...that sounds right.
    It was done by a reputable local insulation business, but they usually shoot the type where they spray foam on open walls (closed cell) and IIRC this was only the third house they had done with filling wall cavities...and they were having trouble getting the formula "just right" that day too.
    Before I had it done I read up on it read where they say it shrinks 2% when it cures...I thought hey that's no big deal...well do the math...14.5" space in the stud cavity x 2%=0.29" gap...over 1/4" gap! So much for air sealing!
    Google "Retrofoam shrinkage"...that'll get you thinking. Then google Airkrete shrinkage...I got a quote from Airkrete...it was a little more money so I went with the local guy with a good reputation. Oops.
    I just ran into that local insulation company at an expo over the winter...I talked with their rep about the problems I had, he said they have long ago quit spraying that stuff...just too many problems with it for them to continue standing behind the product. He said the issue I was having with the paint peeling off the walls was the first time they heard of that particular issue...but then again like I said, they were having equipment problems that day...he kinda had a worried look on his face until I told him I didn't really hold them responsible since the owner had really drug his feet in doing my place since I wanted it done from the exterior, and he had never done it that way...Oh, and the plaster walls cracked from "over pressurization" too. I had basically talked him into doing the job, and he gave me a little discount since I was a "guinea pig" of sorts. Pinching pennies bites you sometimes. :headbang:
    Fortunately, this place wasn't terrible to heat and cool before, and is a little better now than when I first started out on this journey...and honestly, since we heat almost totally with wood now (used oil back when I did the wall foam) its not going to be something I go any further with once the attic is finished (DIY)...my wood furnace just plays with the load on all but the very coldest days of the winter...and the central air doesn't struggle with the load either (electric bill goes up maybe $20/month when I use the AC much, so not worth fooling with much more really...I would be done with it already except for the upstairs bedroom is still a little hard to control the temp, especially in the summer...but I just recently realized that the attic ventilation is inadequate too, so need to add some vents while I'm at it.

Chvymn99, Chaz and Backwoods Savage like this.
  16. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Nitrodave before you sign up, you should make a call to John Dennis. 989-845 727 or 989-274-4242.

For what it's worth, he did a lot of insulation for us and also for Pallet Pete. I've also got him a lot of business a long distance from here. He told me once he goes almost anywhere. He has a large crew if needed and they work fast but do excellent work.

Perhaps one of the best things about him is that his prices are much, much lower than most.

Insulation being put in.jpg Insulation-2.JPG Swiss cheese-1.JPG

Chvymn99, Nitrodave, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  17. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Yup the difference is astounding too. Very good for the price. Our entire house was $3200 if I remember right. Most we called where between 6k and 9k for similar service.

Chvymn99, Nitrodave, Stinny and 4 others like this.
  18. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

I will call them Monday. Thanks.

Chaz, Chvymn99 and Backwoods Savage like this.
  19. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

Did they do any attic insulation? Or just walls ?

20. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Both here.