In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Here's how to split firewood and save your back!

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Ontario Firewood Resource, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Ontario Firewood Resource

Ontario Firewood Resource

2. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Nothing new under the sun or snow. People been using tires and mauls for ever.

He did have a pretty accurate swing.

3. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

The only thing is his wood seemed to be easy to split and he got away with striking the wood farthest away from him, taking a chance on breaking his handle, on numerous occasions in this video. Splitting a log end, by reaching across other wood, to hit a round on the far side, is a recipe for a broken handle, probably sooner then later, at least if he was splitting the kind of wood I split by hand.

4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

He's a new member, just wanting to show us his ideas...

5. clay shooter

clay shooter

looks hard work, i would buy a spitter,with all the wood be hind him.

6. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

And it's not a bad idea at all.

I have never tried a tire as I always do my initial splitting in the woods at the falling site, but I am considering adding a tire to a chopping block for the porch, for some smaller splitting of splits just before they go in the stove. I think it would be very handy there, to keep splits from falling over as they get smaller.

metalcuttr and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  7. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Yep, hard work, but good exercise. I love splitting wood by hand, but I hate exercise for the sake of exercising, but I can split wood, and I look forward to it.

8. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

9. clay shooter

clay shooter

i went out the field today and cut 3 trailer loads of wood.

10. In the Pines

In the Pines

bungie cords work as well also. I never bothered with it it works great with straight grained wood.

11. Ontario Firewood Resource

Getting the right tire makes a difference. Its hard to find a 30 incher

12. Ontario Firewood Resource

Its a fiberglass handle so no snapping. No sign of wear and tear so far, at least two years in..not heavy use but plenty over time, Ive broken fireglass mauls in one day before. Its all about control and comfort when swinging.

13. Ontario Firewood Resource

Nice! I usually pick up wood myself but tomorrow I'm getting a full 40 yard bin of red oak dropped off by the company that provides me with a rolloff when I send out 6 bush cords in my own 40 yard bin.

14. Ontario Firewood Resource

I love everything about my business...except American elm! no maul with that stuff unless its bug-killed and dry AF. Good adrenalin rush with the pace of production. A month ago I split a half bush cord in 13 minutes. Unfortunately the camera shut off but I still uploaded the video. I knew it shut off (squeezed the shutter button in my pocket while swinging) but I didnt know how to join videos at the time so I didnt bother filming again and I was right in it too to see if I could fiinish without stopping for a half a second

15. Ontario Firewood Resource

I never tried but I'm only guessing that you have tospend to much time adjusting the bungie

16. Ontario Firewood Resource

Thank you, years of practice makes it all look so smooth. I was right into it when I started selling firewood. An artist moved out and had a giant red oak log about 3.5 to 4 ft wide and 4 ft long, All I had was a Stihl 023 with 16 inch bar found during scrapping and Id make cuts as sdeep as I could all the way around and then split until I got access to the core to finish each 16 inch section

17. Ontario Firewood Resource

I have three splitter. The high output machine that I had broke and I have two slow single style wedge splitters. I make up for their slowness of the machines by operating the machine efficiently (readying new blocks while the ram is travelling) and splitting with the maul all the small diameter and easy big diameter pieces. I also rent out my splitters or split wood for customers.

18. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Yep, I saw you had a fiberglass handle. However, like you said, you can break them. I know the snow made it more difficult and you were trying to stay clear of the camera, I just noticed that you struck the wood farthest away and your handle would hit the closer wood, sometimes. I have broken handles out that way, of course I use all wood handles.

19. Ontario Firewood Resource

I'm gonna order a couple of those Jauregi axes from Spain. Never cared for the best axes as my use is biased towards work so I don't really want to run down stuff like that. Got my fibreglass maul at our local Lowe's equivalent and it works just fine. I had a Garant 4 pounder and I broke the handle on that after splitting many coins into smoker wood chunks to bag up

20. JackHammer

JackHammer

Good smooth chopping. I am super careful to keep the handle parallel with the ground as the ax falls. I am paranoid that I will lose a toe. Kickin' azz just wouldn't be the same with 4 toes.