In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Here is my next project.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by clemsonfor, Sep 7, 2014.

  1. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    IMG_20140902_101548_154.jpg Its a Bush hog razorback. Rz60

    Gear box had oil in it and appeared to be not watery. I know this thing hadnt been used in years. From looking at pictures they all get these tears in the corners...poor bracing I guess and many of them have the circle where the deck flaps and the blades leave a ring on there. This one had the skids ripped off so the skirt was really bent from laying it down. And looks like the c over was caught on a ditch bank or a tree stump.

    A little beating and weld I g and I should have a serviceable 5fter.
     
  2. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    Double layer that corner with 3-4" wide 1/4" flat bar or 4x4" angle and wrap the first 6-8" of the corner with it will really help. If you can find some leaf springs use them for runners. Good hard steel. Just wrap it around a little so you don't weld so close to the part that will be in contact with the ground constantly. They can get brittle if they get too hot.
     
  3. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Looks like all brush hogs get bashed up in the same spots ! I redid my Dads Woods brush hog a few years back. It was a fun job ! Good luck :)
     
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    concretegrazer likes this.
  4. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I am going to weld some 2 ft pieces of 1.5" or so angle to redo the skids. Have to figure something out for the corners.

    I actually have straightened out the bent corner with a 16lb sledge. And almost have the not so bad side stitched back up. Then going to put the skids back on. I will used a 2piece angle skid on the side. A flat piece and a piece at 45 angle.

    This is only going behind a 24hp yaYanmar so unless I am going wide open and hang it on a stump I thing it will just stop the tractor...hopefully before I can do that kind of damage again!
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  5. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I have also seen this BH set up with the chains for the back support pieces or the flat bar back support. This on has chains. I thought it was a previous owner did it but inone of the lliterature pics from BH (parts manual maybe) there is the pic of it set up with chains. I have seen several on google with chains as well. I have also seen some with skids all the way to the back where the manual shows the skids only like 10"s back or so.
     
  6. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Some pictures of the horrible splatter where someone tried to weld it back together. I dont think more than 2 shoots were ever stuck on here??? IMG_20140906_152805_194.jpg IMG_20140906_152842_887.jpg IMG_20140906_152858_819.jpg
     
    Pallet Pete and Chvymn99 like this.
  7. Gary_602z

    Gary_602z

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,464
    Likes Received:
    12,340
    Location:
    Lake Odessa, Michigan
    Looks like I welded it!:)

    Gary
     
  8. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I mean I am no pro and just have a cheap HF flux welder but I can do way better than that! Thats like you grabbed your buddies stick welder for the first time ever and splattered the thing all up and called it good.You need to practice a bit before you can weld.

    My first attempts ever looked like that but iI didnt think it would hold.
     
  9. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Yup that's a real professional alcoholic weld lol... I would recommend using a small steal plate on top and welding it up using that as a patch. Some beads are ok but being a brush hog you would want more strength on that spot. Nice find btw!
     
    Chvymn99 and mdavlee like this.
  10. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I didnt want to pay too mich for one cause I am not sure how tall of grass I can cut with it. The 4fter I have is all that the tractor wants in tall grass like knee high thick stuff but in maintenece cutting I am pretty sure I can use this one.
     
  11. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Wow......Rabbit chit welding @ its finest on that top plate. "Here, hold my beer, watch this..."
     
    Chvymn99, Pallet Pete and clemsonfor like this.
  12. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Here is the bad crunched corner now. Played it from the bottom to keep the hole from packing with crap. Thought about plating the top but think I may just weld the areas I cut out back to the bottom plate? Ideas?

    Got to plate the other side that had that great weld on it next. I am pretty happy with how the skids turned out. After I welded them down I noticed that I should our lifted the fronts up about an inch as thats how much skirt was ground down by not having g them in place for years:eek: IMG_20140913_175745_245.jpg IMG_20140913_175827_076.jpg
     
  13. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Here is the side that had the chicken chit "certified drunk" splatter welded crack. Plated up with some random plate that I had laying around. IMG_20140920_150747_160.jpg
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  14. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    And this was the crunched corner that was real bad. IMG_20140920_151219_882.jpg
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.