In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Help with removing gasket

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by shaggy wood dump hoarder, Nov 24, 2020.

1. shaggy wood dump hoarder

shaggy wood dump hoarder

Hey folks, been a while. I'm in need of some ideas on removing my door gasket from my boiler door.

Every year I need to replace it, and taking the old one out is never easy, I usually end up getting a wire wheel on my grinder, go outside and just turn it all into some nasty dust. It's the only way I can get it out. Sometimes I can get a start on it and tear out 8" but it usually breaks before getting much out. The only time it's ever come out easy is when I bought to small of a gasket and threw an old extension cord behind it to make up the difference. Hey, it worked pretty slick and for a long time!!!

So I'm curious if anyone has a better solution than what I've been doing, I know it shouldn't be that hard.

Screwloose and mat60 like this.
  2. lukem

lukem

How much adhesive are you using? Should just need a little in the corners and a fan or 2 along the edges.

Not sure about removing the old one....

mat60 likes this.
  3. shaggy wood dump hoarder

shaggy wood dump hoarder

Zero adhesive. I've tried with and without and makes no difference in any way from what I've found.

mat60 likes this.
  4. lukem

lukem

Is creosote holding it in from the outside then? Got any pics?

mat60 likes this.
  5. shaggy wood dump hoarder

shaggy wood dump hoarder

No sir, it's just a deeper than stock channel, I rebuilt the door, which was also a pain to remove from the stock door. It just gets hard after a year of use and needs to be swapped because it starts to draft and burn all my coals up. Ended up wire wheeling it again. Place in town that deals wood stoves of all sorts said that's what they usually do as well when they come out hard.

The gasket I put in today leaked smoke when the fan kicked on so I ended up shimming it out with cable on 1 side, that should make it easier next time

6. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

7. JustWood

JustWood Guest

Got an air compressor ?
    How about an air hammer with a forked or cupped chisel?

XXL likes this.
  8. overactor

overactor

What unit do you run? I have a Central Boiler Classic edge 750. I changed the door seal last night after I fired up my boiler. Used a flat tip screw driver as a scraper also had a new small wood chisel thats pretty razor sharp to use as a scraper if I needed

XXL likes this.