In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Help keep small towns alive.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Greenstick, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    I was surprised by an offer to give opinions that are out of the standard white collar norm to bring business, tourism, interest or main street revitalization to a new non-profit trying to revitalize our dwindling town/main street. We are 45 miles to a big box stores type town, and have a population around 2000. What types of unique attractions, business, events, ect, have you seen that help small towns remain relevant to want to live in, visit, or at least pass through while on a trip. What makes some small towns have that unique character that is missing from so many rural towns that just get driven past and not remembered? Odd and off the wall isn't dismissed by this group. Other than a yuppy mall or golf course what have you seen work or think would work?

2. Screwloose

Screwloose

Personally I think small towns get ruined by progress. When I grew up we played ball in the main street, now I know what a squirrel feels like just trying to cross it.

3. yooperdave

yooperdave

Don't quite know how to say this and not intending to start a "debate"...……….But...…:picard:

What keeps small towns great and attractive is keeping "citidiots" out of control once they move in. I have seen this and heard from others time and again about non-residents moving in to small rural areas with great big new prosperous ideas; get themselves elected locally and before you know it, too many ordinances controls etc. not to mention the continued influx of non-residents.

The latest example was talking to a couple natives from Bozeman and how too many from the west coast have migrated and made things for the worse.

4. Greenstick

Greenstick

That is why I have a cautionary glimmer of hope with this group. They are locals and the little I have spoke individually with one of them said that is why she suggested me, not a grand stand money bags idealist. Is that a compliment or a put down?!?;) I am curious to see how their first meeting goes and what direction things take. I'm not going to get overly involved but hope to be a common persons bank account voice of reason. There have been several big projects that were pet projects of the who's who and I think this group is the result of big tax $ being spent how the select few wanted without regard for most of the town. Hopefully this group can make community the investment and not the mayor and his buddies hobby the investment.

5. JustWood

JustWood Guest

My business covers a 60 mile radius of my town.
    My trucks are decaled with my home town. When customers see the town they always say ,,, " that's where you get the giant sweet rolls at the town dinor"
    Yup !
    This dinor makes all food from scratch and the sweet rolls are the size of a cantaloupe with an inch of frosting.this place draws them in from everywhere!
    Another thing that draws a lot of outsiders is the Amish and a massive farmers market they started 10 years ago.

6. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Bowling is coming back into vogue, so are skating rinks. I always thought if a small town truly embraced limiting light pollution and put in an astronomy park they would have a lot of visitors during meteor shows, eclipses, and other such astronomical events. The shops could stay open late and they could have sidewalk sales or something similar.

7. jdude

jdude

You have to develop a "destination" mentality. An antique mall type set up would be a good idea, if you have a large building in the downtown area that someone would take and set up rental spaces for people the have collectables and antiques to rent space in. A decent family style restaurant would help too. People enjoy spending a day traveling to a specific destination to spend the day shopping and eating.
    We have some Amish communities in the area that do this type of thing and thrive. they also have huge flea markets with outside space to rent.

8. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Also, get a "world's largest."

9. Greenstick

Greenstick

That is one idea I already had:yes:.

10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

A "flowertown" type festival.
    monthly town square music nights
    wing-offs
    bbq compititions

promoting...
    *anything thats listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
    *haunted tours seem popular
    *famous graves
    *museums, locally made arts and crafts
    *historic chapels for weddings
    *local architecture
    *any natural landmarks

not letting in chain stores

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

We have 32K in my town. One Walmart. Two grocery stores and 2 hardware stores. Interesting.

12. Screwloose

Screwloose

In regards to the flea market I will say that one was started by us about 10 year's ago. On Saturday and Sunday literally thousands of people pass through. A few local shops do quite well on those 2 days.

13. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Agree with jdude an Antique mall or two. Also a good Chamber of Commerce sponsoring things like we have:
    Art in the Park
    Car Shows
    Kids Easter Egg Hunt
    Home tours
    Kids Fishing Tournament (shameless plug, I donate 500.00 a year plus bait and tackle because that is the future of our business).
    Develop or build on assets that you have in your community whether it is people/ organizations, natural beauty or recreation such as lakes or mountains, a GOOD city manager can be worth their weight in Gold in getting grants for downtown developement.
    "If you build it they will come".
    Gary

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  14. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

A nonprofit 501c3 "Friends of" group is good for securing grant money also.

15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Mountain bike trails (single track) are a big deal if they are put in right. Bikers will come from other countries for bike trails. Our Friends (of Raystown Lake) group, IMBA and RMBA put this together.
    Allegrippis Trail

16. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Definitely a seasonal festival.

I agree with many of the other suggestions.

A brewery just opened here in Wiffle near where the summer festival is held, and they are having live music, trivia, etc.

Great support/advice seeking thread Greenstick :yes:

17. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Yes, Micro-brews are a big deal now also.:yes:

18. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

How about something western themed like a rodeo. Or Buffalo days celebration. In the northern part of our state, where the economy is so tourism dependant the towns gave permission for ATV's to travel into town on the roads. The result is 1000 miles of connected trails called "Ride the Wilds". The motels, restaraunts, gas stations, etc. are doing real well.

19. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

World's largest atom. You just have an empty display.

20. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

I'd pay to see that.