In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Help, How to Place a Snow Fence?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by wildwest, Jan 9, 2015.

1. WaddleRemodel

WaddleRemodel

Never know when shady fellow show up. He better be careful everyone in Wyoming carry guns

Stinny and wildwest like this.
  2. 343amc

343amc

All I can offer up is if you're going to use t-posts to put the fence up, use the heaviest gauge t-posts you can find. It gets windy where I am (probably nowhere near as windy as the open plains of Wyoming), and I found out the hard way that standard light gauge t-posts don't hold up well. We had a nasty wind/snowstorm a few years ago and I woke up the next morning to see half my snow fence laying across my driveway. Over half the posts broke off at ground level.

I used the heavy gauge 6' t-posts next season and never had that issue again.

Stinny, WaddleRemodel and wildwest like this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

This bbq sideways in the background used to be just outside the backdoor of the house, along with the 2 yellow toys 2015-01-10_16-04-40_830.jpg

Stinny, WaddleRemodel and 343amc like this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

x2

WaddleRemodel likes this.
  5. Butcher

Butcher

Third house from left, south side of road? I don't think fence is going to help out back around the out buildings. They are so close to the wooden fence the only way a snow fence would help would be if you put it in your neighbors yard. Maybe some to the left of your drive way no closer than 50 feet. I would defiantly cut down any weeds/brush along your front lot line. They are catching snow and making pile up where your drive way meets the road. With all that open water to the north and west of you I can see why you catch a lot of wind.
    That is, if I read the picture right of coarse.

wildwest likes this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks Butcher!! You are kind to take the time to look for me :) Yes that is the correct house. After what I have learned here, the fence would have to be in neighbors yard like you said, thanks for confirming. I won't ask them for that :wacky: We will build another yard out front for next winter, where there is room for a snow fence like you described. My husband and I are used to doing everything ourselves, but things changed. I found a fantastic young man that will come out here and is capable of almost any task, dh is reluctantly realizing he is not superman and letting the hired help take on tasks my husband considers his duty.

I will have the young man mow/cut down the entire property next spring :saw:

Thanks again friend :handshake:

Stinny likes this.
  7. XXL

XXL

Late summer or fall would be a better time to knock down the weeds as they will just regrow over the summer.
    Also is that wooded fence on the right in the first photo yours or the neighbors? It's acting like a snow fence by slowing down the wind and creating a drift behind it. If it's yours consider removing it or changing it to a page wire fence. However the drift along the fence is no comparison to the one near your out buildings so the wooden fence may not be as big an inconvenience. That tree behind the buildings is most likely another issue. Anything that slows the wind down will potentially cause a snow drift.

wildwest likes this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

We own the fence, previous owner put it up. Posts are well sunk RR ties, easy peasy to replace with wire, + I would like a better view, I cant see the mountain over the wood fence!! :) Neighbors seem to like the fence but it, think they like it hides all the vehicles......I would rather see the mountain/lake above the vehicles than the wood posts, no bother to me :)

I am getting rid of the sheds. They are dilapidated and attract skunks/rats underneath. Too bad there is not a better market for reclaimed barn wood here (left shed), I'd give it away happily..... I am guessing I will have to hire someone to remove them ($$). We moved here about a year ago, downsized by almost 1/2, enough out buildings here *if* I have something to store without those sheds.

thanks for you informative posts and input:)

Stinny likes this.