In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Healing bench/saw repair therapy

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Mtnbikerfred, Mar 20, 2020.

1. JCMC

JCMC

I prefer stock saws and sharp chains myself!

2. Kimberly

Kimberly

I tore into my sister's Honda transaxle with only two bad printouts from the dealership; no repair manual. Her son was horrible on vehicles and she foolishly loan him her only car. He sheared a pin in the differential shaft that then allowed it to slip and cut a hole through the casing. I had the case repaired and then put in new clutches and servo seals. I did the work for her because she could not afford to replace the car and she was divorced from her worthless husband. I don't care for Hondas myself. He also over rev the engine; I guess he thought a little four cylinder engine Honda was a race car. The timing belt slipped and about four vales bit the dust. Luckily no pistons were harmed. Took the head to a shop to check it out and surface. Put in new valves and a timing belt and she drove the car for several years after that.

3. Mtnbikerfred

Mtnbikerfred

That was easy...

IMG_20200328_143236717.jpg IMG_20200328_153511350.jpg
    And the healing bench/repair therapy center awaits...

IMG_20200328_153128771.jpg

There is another victim to be looked at. She's a long term patient that I don't really want to talk about... Lolz!

IMG_20200328_155618165.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  4. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Friend of mine just picked up an 015 just like that for $10 , yup $10 and that little thing rips.
    He is a big collector of old saws ( especially old homelites ) . He is up to well over 40 saws as of now. One of those guys that could fall in a turd-pile and come out smelling like roses.

5. Mtnbikerfred

Mtnbikerfred

I've bested him. This one was $Free.99
    Step one: we admitted we had a problem...
    Yeah, I'm more of a "corpse flower" guy. This saw looked great, but...

I had high hopes. Someone bought a new bar, chain, sprocket, for it. Then, as the story goes, left it sitting for years with bad gas in it...

I've had the carb off and apart a few times. Bought and wasted a couple of rebuild kits and my time...

I'm going to say this in hopes of being proven very wrong, and shown the way. Ready?

STUPID WALBORO 015 CARBS ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO REBUILD. THEY'RE OBSOLETE AND NO ONE HAS A REPLACEMENT!

There. I said it on the interwebs. *Someone* will come along and prove me wrong (I hope).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Chazsbetterhalf and buzz-saw like this.
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Fixin em is not my thing. Ill do the basics but thats about it. Now with older age eyesight and dexterity even that is tougher.

Chazsbetterhalf and Mtnbikerfred like this.
  7. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

You beat him on price , If it was free.
    He did drive about 3 hours for an old home-lite and the guy had this one as well. With fuel cost and his other half going with him he paid the price. :eek: Saw $ 10 ; all other expenses = priceless.

Admitting a problem ; he says he doesn't have a problem.
    Except walking through his garage around everything piled up. ( It's bad !!!! )

Can you take the carb apart and soak it in something like acetone and an ultrasonic cleaner ? Just a thought??

Chazsbetterhalf and Mtnbikerfred like this.
  8. Mtnbikerfred

Mtnbikerfred

CLEAN YOUR SAWS EVERY YEAR!!!

Take them apart, covers off, down to the case and tanks, and blow/vacuum/brush out all the dust and oil packed in behind the clutch and chain brake.

I thought I'd get through the season since superficially, this one didn't look "too bad". Then I remembered it was the one the guy I got it from said he had a "faller-buddy look at it" when asked about service.... So, it needed more cleaning than I'd done already.

The drive pin for the oiler might not have been in the notch. It wasn't oiling right at all. I probably used two cans of brake-cleaner, and brushed for 30 minutes to get it clean.

It went back together beautifully, and seems to be puking oil in all the right places now...

IMG_20200619_114744379.jpg