In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Healing bench/saw repair therapy

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Mtnbikerfred, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Mtnbikerfred

Mtnbikerfred

IMG_20200319_162433560.jpg Anyone else enjoy taking things apart, with little hope of ever getting them back together, let alone running again? Well, grab your BIGGEST tool and let's get to it!!! J/K...

This was the first saw I bought. It was used, and I immediately tore it down and cleaned it early last year. It had a new plug and filter, and ran great.

Shortly into the season, a common problem (just a nuisance really) reared it's head. The oil line from the tank became an "automatic drain". So I kept it full, and never set it down right side up anywhere I didn't want it to piddle bar oil...

So, deeper we go. Like an onion; peeling back the layers until there's nothing left but tears and regret...

It'll get both the in and out oil tubes. They're more like hard plastic than rubber at this point. Oh, and a new bearing behind the clutch.

It can be a cathartic. I was listening to Bach, and huffing two-cycle exhaust from tuning the MS 391.

I'm anxious to hear your DIY stories. Especially if they run again afterwards.

P.S. I do have another project that might never leave the healing bench I'll share sometime. Walboro carbs be dammed!

2. Screwloose

Screwloose

The doctor is in surgery.

3. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

If it is broken and doesn't work like it should then then just take it apart , what do you have to loose? It was already broken so just have at it.
    A complete saw that doesn't work cuts just as well as a bunch of parts in a box , you never know until you try.
    Take it apart step by step and take pictures as you disassemble. It is easier now a days with all the technology at you finger tips to do so. Years ago you would still be waiting for your pictures to be ready at Photo -mat and then when you got them back you would be disappointed that your pictures didn't come out anyway.

Go for it !

The biggest problem I see in your picture is...………………………...NO HAMMER :thumbs:

4. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

My saw broke, I took it to the dealer to get it fixed. I'm one of those people who doesn't know which end of the screwdriver you use to pound in the nail.

I can sharpen my own chains, clean up the saw, fell a tree safely in any direction I need to, and tie my shoes, but I ain't fixing anything.

5. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Can you fix me a sandwich ?

6. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Oh yeah! I'm known for my cooking. I fixed my wife a smoked turkey with Brie, Sauteed apples and a cranberry - Dijon dipping sauce, on grilled honey sesame bread for a quick dinner tonight.

I'm also known for my pizza, Indian, Middle Eastern and Moroccan cuisines. My biscuits and pizza are my most requested.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  7. Mtnbikerfred

Mtnbikerfred

I won't need it until I try to put it back together.... :D

8. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I love to cook too but I am leaving here now and headed your way for a turkey sandwich , holy crap that sounds good. :stirpot:

9. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

It will fit , trust me I got a hammer.

10. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Come on my brother! You are welcome here any time. Order ahead for fastest service!:rofl: :lol:

11. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.:D
    If the hammer won't fix it, it must be an electrical problem.

12. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Hey I want you for my friend and I am one those who can fix just about anything.

I did antique pocket watch restoration for about 30 years for a hobby.

IMG_1373.JPG

Then about 15 years ago I decided I wanted to heat my house with wood and bought a cheap non running chainsaw on ebay. After fixing that I bought another until today I have about 60 saws. All used and a lot of them needed work. Then after I retired I worked part time in a shop doing nothing but chainsaw work for 3 years. Now I just keep stuff running for myself and once in awhile I will modify one for the fun of it. I like tinkering and having fun with stuff. It can be relaxing for me. Of course I cannot cook for nothing.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  13. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

That looks like a 455 rancher on your bench.

14. Mtnbikerfred

Mtnbikerfred

It is. First saw I ever bought. It's served us well, and is getting a much deserved "spa treatment"

15. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

You are right about the oil lines they get hard after some use and time and then they start leaking oil like crazy. I replaced some when I was working part time.

16. Warner

Warner

I had a co worker at an auto shop that would buy new cars/motorcycles/jetskis etc. then proceed to “modify” them to make them faster/louder/better until they would be an unreliable piece of junk. Then complain about the manufacturer.

He would always say I was lame because I left my stuff stock. But my stuff always got me to work he could not say the same.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

17. Mtnbikerfred

Mtnbikerfred

On a brand new saw (or anything), I agree. But buying used, I'm going to verify its "barely broken in" status myself. For instance, my 391 came to me from a guy known to buy food gear, and take care of it. I asked him when the last it was serviced. He said "it's never needed anything, or let him down", but he had a faller buddy of his look at it every couple of years....

This is what I found: IMG_20200120_113733664.jpg
    The air filter wasn't clipped on properly, and there was sawdust in the intake. IMG_20200120_112531817.jpg this isn't a lot of use, but I can assure you,i hadn't been "cleaned" by his buddy...

18. Screwloose

Screwloose

Or drawing sketches by hand, sticking parts in cardboard/styrofoam.

Mtnbikerfred and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  19. Screwloose

Screwloose

I really like the bench

20. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I have two of those watch benches. With lots of watch tools. Thanks.