First time cutting from bull dozed pile was by myself so took the easy stuff. Son and son in law want to help this weekend
Yep, those piles can turn into a cluster fast. When you get some help, turn two of the lower logs with the truck & chain to make stringers, then pull a couple off the top onto them. Saves chains & knees & back. Rinse & repeat & in about 6 hours you'll be really sick of it.
The greenish colored stuff with the thick bark looks like Honey Locust I think. Heavy & high BTU. Other one maybe Silver Maple?
I’m not one to worry much about what kind of wood it is. We burn anything we can get. I classify wood in one of two categories. Ready to burn and not ready. And free is always the best.
I'd say that most of that is cottonwood. Cottonwood, like basswood, is a bummer in that you'd think it was something much better, then it isn't. That said though, it does burn, you'll just burn more of it. I'm burning some basswood right now fwiw.
Redneck , you got yourself a load of free wood and plenty of it. Enjoy the day cutting with your son & son in law. Get it while the getting is free!
First pic looks like Sassafras to me but I’m terrible at Iding wood. Dont think I’ve ever seen a Cottonwood.
Redneck i aint picky either, the only stuff i turn down is willow and if its for free even cottonwood got more btu's than usual.