In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hauled firewood, guy wants to give me a tractor

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Casper, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Casper

Casper

It's first bath, likely, ever.

Screenshot_20210701-205152_Gallery.jpg

2. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Annnnnnnnd....... you win I think. I think you might have even more "stuff" than I do. Glad that tractor looks like it's gonna work out!

3. Casper

Casper

I'm buying a 55 gallon drum of hydraulic oil tomorrow. Half will go into changing the fluid in the Massey, it's very milky. Some into the new old log splitter. And, some into the PUG.

I am not sure how water is getting into the system, but this has always been outside. Maybe it's condensation that never had a chance to evaporate? I don't know.

4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Check around the shifters & levers. I know on my M water intrusion was happening due to a dry rotted boot on the shifter.

5. Casper

Casper

The rear end has nice and clean oil. This, an industrial model, has a separate reservoir of 24 gallons of hydraulic oil. It appears to be integrated into the loader frame on the right side. It doesn't look like it could hold 24 gallons, but I guess with cylinders, pumps and all the lines it might hit that high.? The seals on the valve body for the loader seems to be as good as new. Maybe the vent cap is the culprit?

Chvymn99, MAF143, JimBear and 2 others like this.
  6. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Vent cap is a possibility for sure. I doubt it's condensation if the rear end isn't contaminated. I know I keep a tarp over the operator station on mine & it seems to solve the issue.

Chvymn99, MAF143 and brenndatomu like this.
  7. JimBear

JimBear

Chvymn99, brenndatomu, MAF143 and 2 others like this.
  8. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I
    I read all the posts on your new tractor I have a little input for you I seem to remember the old masseys have a screen filter in the trans that can affect the 3 point operation simple check ,also if you need a manual I have purchased many reproduction manuals from a company called JENSALES they also have new and used parts . last if any of your hoses are just pipe thread on the ends check your local farm store they have premade hoses that are a lot cheaper and seem to hold up well Good luck looks like a very decent tractor JB

9. Gasifier

Gasifier

What did you put all over the tractor?

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

The deal was just so sweet...
    [​IMG]
    Just needs [​IMG] now...

Eckie, MikeInMa, eatonpcat and 6 others like this.
  11. Gasifier

Gasifier

Degreaser?

12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My guess, yeah...its one of those "foamer" guns you can put on the hose...
    Amazon.com

MikeInMa, Gasifier, JimBear and 2 others like this.
  13. Casper

Casper

Yep, mine goes on the end of my pressure washer. Foam cannon.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    MikeInMa, Mag Craft, Gasifier and 3 others like this.
  14. Casper

Casper

Finally made it to a different hydraulic shop recommended, first by the owner of Euclid Hydraulics, since he was busy last week with getting a crane repaired and then this week, he is solo in the shop. Secondly, by my cousin whom I saw over the weekend who is an Excavator.

Diversified Fittings in Perry. Super fast, fairly priced and refitted the wonky fittings that go into the valve body and replaced the rubber.

Screenshot_20210707-161430_Gallery.jpg

15. Flamestead

Flamestead

16. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

I just saw this thread, great tractor! That will serve many generations to come. One thought, park it in front of the door of your barn/garage at the other farm, put a battery disconnect on the negative battery wire (hidden) and then if they know how to jump across the starter solenoid, they still won't get it to run. Solves so many problems as well as fire deterrent.

17. Casper

Casper

Had to make a slight mod in hose routing. The compression fitting, when the hose is routed the original way, interfered with the valve body lever mounts. I was able to swap them and change the connection at the other end. Lower pic is the modded version. Teal colored line swapped with purple in factory setup in upper pic. It is clean looking and doesn't seem to cause problems so I'm happy with it.

Collage 2021-07-07 21_37_50.jpg

Interference when setup factory way:
    Screenshot_20210707-214511_Gallery.jpg

Hydraulic filter comes in tomorrow, I used about 3 gallons of the milky hydraulic oil to purge the lines. On one cylinder I needed to use a cut off wheel and cut a couple fittings so I could use a 6 point socket to remove them. They were in there pretty tight. You can sort of see the dirt in the "top" port compared to a cleaner lower (in pic) port. Threads are were you can see the dirt/debris. Screenshot_20210707-215524_Gallery.jpg

Offending hoses and fittings:

Screenshot_20210707-215102_Gallery.jpg

I'm thinking this system must only hold 24 quarts, or 6 gallons. It was pretty jittery when raising lift beyond half way. Oil gets changed tomorrow.

Attached Files:

Gasifier, MikeInMa, SimonHS and 6 others like this.
  18. Flamestead

Flamestead

19. Casper

Casper

That's it.

I wish I bookmarked the site saying 24 quarts. I saw it when I was debating getting the tractor. Now, I can't find it. Six gallons of hydraulic oil seems more inline with capacity by looking at the space available. Also, I have a difficult time believing 3 gallon out of a 24 gallon system would cause the jittery movement above the half way point. Half the oil in the system?...that makes more sense to me, especially with older equipment. I know there was some spillage, but most oil went into the waste oil bucket I used to purge the lines so there is a fairly accurate measurement.

I guess we'll know in a few hours when the filter comes in to NAPA.

20. Flamestead

Flamestead

It could easily be that someone typed 24gal into the tractor data site when it was supposed to be 24 qt.
    Looks like it is quite similar to a MF 135.
    One link says the transmission takes a heavier oil than standard hydraulic oil.

I bought a Prince 21gpm PTO pump once and it called for a reservoir to match the gpm. I had it running a Farmhand F11 loader with maybe 5gal total, and never had a heat issue. I’m betting you are right (6gal for the loader).