In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Has your weather changed in your lifetime?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Timberdog

Timberdog

Do you think that someone who doesn’t believe in the theory of global warming is for pollution and destruction of natural resources? Just curious...

2. SkidderDone

SkidderDone

Well I can't resist a good GW debate :D. ***SOAPBOX ON*** I've looked at this for a long time now and things are so politically charged and manipulated it's almost impossible to determine what's real. With that said my take is this. I have a hard time getting behind a movement where all of the predictions of what is going to happen have been wrong. All of them. One would have to ask, would you be willing to remove much of the technology that we enjoy today based on predictions that have been 100% incorrect? Car gone, cell phone gone, computer gone, food at the grocery store gone, chainsaws gone (o_O), log splitter gone (o_O), tractor gone, abundance of heat for homes gone, reasonable access to medical care gone, solar panels gone :))), Prius gone (no I don't have one :rofl: :lol:), good access to clean water gone, slavery NOT gone...

I also have a hard time getting behind a movement when the data presented is by and large generated from computer modeling developed and used by people who get generous research grants. I think it's pretty obvious to see the built-in conflict of interest there.

Now none of this would really bother me if this was just something that a science journal published as science. But that's not what's happening here. I'm being forced to hand over more of my hard earned money (and freedom), money that comes out of my kids mouths, to combat something that you can't see, can't prove I'm contributing to, and none of the dire predictions that's driving the hysteria have even come close to coming to fruition. So yeah being that I'm forced to foot the bill, I think it's only right for my betters to be right at least once.

Now do I want to destroy the planet (if that's even possible)? No of course not. I think we should all be good stewards of the planet. With that said, if you think that man is causing climate change due to CO2 emissions (ya know plant food), America isn't the one you should be pointing the finger at (not even top 10). If you want to point the finger at someone point it at China, India and the ME. What makes me want to go outside and turn on my full size pickup and let it just idle for hours (just cuz), are the elites that fly around in their private jets telling me I'm a bad person because I'm not vegan. If you want me to trade my rib-eye for crickets to save the planet from cow farts, you're gonna have to do a lot better than computer models that make hockey sticks and "trust me the world is gonna end. Someday..." ***SOAPBOX OFF***

3. jrider

jrider

If people would like to get to the economics of things, don’t you think your taxes have already supported one side for as long as you’ve been alive?

Attached Files:

Felter and Midwinter like this.
  4. jrider

jrider

5. Timberdog

Timberdog

Amen.

NH mountain man, JoeinO and Felter like this.
  6. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

7. Timberdog

Timberdog

So just to be clear before I waste a lot of time and energy posting and typing...you want me to post a bunch of links?

NH mountain man and Felter like this.
  8. jrider

jrider

I’m not saying there aren’t issues but I like to bring this up when people mention being taxed all of a sudden when they’ve been taxed indirectly from the fossil fuel industry for their whole lives

Felter and Midwinter like this.
  9. ironpony

ironpony

yes it has, growing up on Long Island I remember winters having a couple feet of snow. Loaders piling snow at the end of the block because there was no place left to push it.
    Now it seems it never snows or gets very cold anymore.
    That is the honest answer to the question. however the fact that was not mentioned is I have moved away.
    A survey is only as good as the facts presented.

Felter and Gary_602z like this.
  10. Stoveshamster

Stoveshamster

Long Island has just had the snowiest 20 year period on record. I’m 47 and lived here all my life and am obsessed with the weather. So I know!!!

11. RGrant

RGrant

I love reading about nearly anything- that's one of the reasons I'm on here daily but post somewhat rarely. But I can't stand arguing about anything, so I like to keep my comments to myself.
    Let me just throw this out there that this resource is pretty neat if you'd like to check it out- World Of Change
    It's by NASA.

Midwinter and Felter like this.
  12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Bad study if you read it states that number of 10x is derived from indirect cost, pollution, health care costs and climate change costs.

I am not saying that humans don’t make a mess, the pictures of the mass slaughter of elephants for ivory or Buffalo for furs while wasting the rest of the the animal is absolutely appalling.
    However, I was alive when they all thought it was a great idea to switch from paper to plastic because it was better for the environment because we were going to cut down trees.:picard:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  13. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

Never said that, but if you want to make a battle out of everything that does not see things your way, go right ahead. Just leave me out of it. All I was trying to say was this planet has finite resources. There is no other planet nearby that we can colonize, so we are stuck here. In my lifetime I've had an opportunity to work and had more than I needed available to me. I hope the future generations will have the same opportunities. If we start the trend towards responsible stewardship of this blue marble we can help make sure that happens.

Maybe global warming is another false alarm but there are so many hungry people in the world today. There are so many sick without access to medical care. There are people that have no place to live or cannot afford fuel to heat their homes. Every winter I read about people that froze to death or died from CO poisoning. Too many people are the wrong religion, or color, or gender, or any other difference, and they suffer for it. If global warming is not a concern, there are so many places that people with time & resources can help.

I tried to present my views in this thread without putting anybody down, tried to use my experience and facts I've verified to explain my views, I did not disparage your or anybody else's views but I did try to say why I disagreed with some.

I'm gonna go back to trying to finish the rebuild of an old two-cycle so I can scrounge some firewood tomorrow. I'll leave this discussion to the experts.

KaptJaq

Midwinter, Felter and Stinny like this.
  14. Felter

Felter Banned

no offense taken. and ya I am in the same situation. :yes:
    my apologies for not grasping the significance of the odd sites link. I interpreted odd sites as "ODD" sites. meaning they are unusual, and out of the norm for temperature gathering sites. I did a search but I can't find a pictures of the temperature gathering instruments. so there is no facts to post. no facts that prove you right or wrong. so its just an opinion at this point... I found the instructions for the proper location of a thermometer. Proper Location for an Outdoor Thermometer also I did a search for the number of thermometers far from civilization, but couldn't come up with a accurate answer. most likely cause "far from civilization" is too vague. so there is no facts to post. my apologies for not addressing this sooner...

one final question though are we both clear about the location of the arctic circle? and do we both understand that there IS land mass in the arctic circle? You never addressed it so idk. I'm just trying to find some common ground.

15. Felter

Felter Banned

absolutely not!!

there is so many lies on both sides, I'm still gathering facts and data at this point. the facts are easy to believe. ppl are not!!!

16. Stinny

Stinny

NH mountain man, Timberdog and Felter like this.
  17. Felter

Felter Banned

well said!!! one thing though, your hard earned money that goes to climate change is 350 billion over the past decade which goes to clean up and disaster assistance. that amount it is expected to rise if temperatures rise.
    Rising temperatures, the erosion of topsoil in farming states, and erratic weather events are expected to drive food costs up between 3% and 84% by 2050.
    Impending water shortages can effect the costs of natural gas and even sustainable energy in coming years.
    so you see there is not some big pile of money that scientists are opening their pockets for that you have to foot the bill for.

source: Climate change has cost the government $350 billion — here’s what it will cost you

Midwinter likes this.
  18. Stoveshamster

Stoveshamster

You and I disagree on some things but I gotta say that reading through these posts yours have been very fair and respectful. Don’t know how anyone can have a problem with them
    People need to learn how to disagree and relax

19. Felter

Felter Banned

that's not what I said. what I said was, you could present a link to the annual temperature ranking of a major city dating back to 1872 like I did. or you could post a map showing the arctic circle. a picture of a growing glacier, a link to a website, a Nasa picture, or a picture of your own

20. Felter

Felter Banned

VERY well said. :tip:

Midwinter and Stinny like this.