In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Has your weather changed in your lifetime?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Timberdog

Timberdog

For those who are interested in hearing the other side of the story and opposing viewpoints, this is well worth the 36 minutes to learn about the history behind the global warming issue and how the global warming scare began. This was put out by John Coleman. For those of you who do not know him, he is a climate scientist, meteorologist, and founder of the weather channel.

But of course there are people who don’t want you to see that video so watch it while you can. Think I’m paranoid? Think again:
    Congress urges Google to act against 'dangerous climate misinformation' on YouTube

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  2. Felter

Felter Banned

I am most certainly interested. thank you for posting, first thoughts on the video. well at 2:25 he says the earth is spinning around the sun at 17,000 mph. off the top of my head I knew the earth is moving at roughly 67,000 mph. so that is the first fact this "scientist" got wrong. How Fast Is Earth Moving? | Space
    at 2:49 he says "the big bang continues to expand the universe" I don't want to get into a discussion about religion and the big bang, but lets just say I don't see how its possible that "in the beginning there was nothing, then it exploded." but that's just my personal belief.

at 3:26 he shows a chart that shows since 1979 the planet has warmed, clearly that graph has increased, he minimizes it by saying "its less than one degree" but it does show an increase. do you agree that the graph shows an increase?

at 4:17 he shows yet another graph that shows an increase in earth's temperature. he points out that it is inconsistent with the "various spaghetti of the many models of atmospheric warming created by various people who have gotten tens of millions of dollars of federal grant money..." do you see how this second graph also shows an increase in the earths temperature?

at 5:40 he mentions graphene as if it is some new source for energy it most certainly is NOT a source for energy- Graphene is actually a transparent and flexible conductor that holds great promise for various material/device applications, including solar cells, light-emitting diodes (LED), touch panels, and smart windows or phones. According to information from Changzhou, China-based 2D Carbon Graphene Material Co.,Ltd, graphene-based touch panel modules have been sold in volume to cell phone, wearable device, and home appliance manufacturers. For instance, smartphone products with graphene touch screens are already on the market. In 2013, Head announced their new range of graphene tennis racquets. As of 2015, there is one product available for commercial use: a graphene-infused printer powder. Many other uses for graphene have been proposed or are under development, in areas including electronics, biological engineering, filtration, lightweight/strong composite materials, photovoltaics and energy storage source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene
    at 5:42 he mentions thorium, which is is a weakly radioactive chemical discovered in 1829. it has been used for years in tig welding electrodes. It has been suggested as a replacement for uranium as nuclear fuel in nuclear reactors and several thorium reactors have been built. clearly research on thorium has not been halted due to climate change.

at 8:14 he shows a graph that shows the ice melt from 2002-2014. which again clearly shows an overall increase in the melting of sea ice. I am curious why he only shows a few years even though he admits we have had the satellite imaging technology for 35 years. why not show the last 35 years? most likely because the satellite imaging, is inconsistent with the idea he is trying to promote.

that's all for now but I will gladly come back and continue destroying this video, using more facts.

brenndatomu and Midwinter like this.
  3. Felter

Felter Banned

oh and john coleman? who was he? a quick search revealed this: John Stewart Coleman (October 15, 1934 – January 20, 2018) Experts have questioned his credibility due to his lack of relevant academic credentials, and said that he had NOT conducted any scientific research in the area of climate change. Coleman's views contributed to his decision to drop out of the American Meteorological Society.

source: John Coleman (meteorologist) - Wikipedia

4. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Back to the original question.... “ has your weather changed in your lifetime”?

my answer is yes. Last night and this morning it snowed. The night before & yesterday morning it did NOT snow. So my answer is yes the weather changed in my lifetime !!!

5. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Summarily dismissing decades of peer reviewed scientific research published in accredited independent scientific journals is dubious...and then suggesting that the scientists behind the research who devote years of education and personal sacrifice are in it for the money is ridiculous...and then backing it all up with an interview published in a magazine is ludicrous.

Felter and Midwinter like this.
  6. Timberdog

Timberdog

So whatever data I present you exclude, and accept your own. Is there anything at all that I could present that you won’t immediately deny? I doubt it. I can play the game of tit for tat too, accepting my data but “destroying” yours and we won’t get anywhere at all. But that’s not really how the scientific method works. Sounds like you just want to argue.

Felter likes this.
  7. Timberdog

Timberdog

Well that is what they accuse John Coleman of ...being in it for the money from big oil. Guess it’s ok for them to do it though. But of course if you have gotten awards and tons of money and someone wants to debate the facts with you, why take that risk ya know? Just declare “the debate is over”. In science the debate is NEVER over! And from all the debate going on everywhere I’d sure say the debate is very far from being “over”. But any scientist who bucks the system is labeled a heretic and burned at the stake of public opinion. Then a vote is taken as if that is what decides scientific fact.

8. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

I have travelled extensively over the course of many years, many times to the same places repeatedly, around the world, over the course of decades. Forests and reefs are burning and dying. Animals, birds, and fish are going extinct at an increased rate every year. It is right in front of you.

Those who thinks that 8 billion people cannot, and are not, affecting the planet are completely delusional. It could not be more plain.

We could turn this little fishbowl that we have been blessed with, into ashes in less than 24 hours, if we decide to do so.

But, instead of doing it quickly, we are doing it a little more slowly, and less deliberately. Terraforming it for jellyfish and algae. In the name of economic growth, almost all of which is accruing to people who don't care about you.

In school, I learned to make judgements based on the magnitude of outcomes. If the denyers are right, everyone pays a little more for clean air, clean water, clean energy, generally a better world. If you are wrong, your children and grandchildren are all toast. It's happening right now. Look to Australia and California.

Why take such an ill informed position? Unless you are a fossil fuel company executive, there is nothing in it for you. If you are a fossil fuel executive, your children and grandchildren will curse you.

Midwinter likes this.
  9. Timberdog

Timberdog

Don’t have time at the moment to pick at you point by point but the issue John was making about Graphene is that it is in a developmental phase and he had hopes it could be used for solar energy which you even quoted as being used for solar cells... so I don’t get the big deal you are making of that. There’s no big deal to make as if that somehow was a big zinger to discredit him. Seems like all that discussion of graphene just a big waste of space and is a tangent drifting way off topic as a diversion.

10. Timberdog

Timberdog

Always the big oil accusation. Nope. Don’t work for an oil company. You’ll have to do better than that.

The reason behind the ebb and flow of life and weather on the planet has been reduced to one reason and one reason alone by the media. There are no other possibilities. Doncha know it’s cuz o global warming. That’s it. We took a vote. We have consensus. We got it figured out. There is no other possibility so get in line or we’ll kick you out!

NH mountain man and Stinny like this.
  11. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

So what exactly is in it for you?

And if you are wrong?

I don't have kids, nor political affiliation. I don't care other than it's sickening.

12. Timberdog

Timberdog

What’s in it for me? The Truth. But don’t be sickened. It’s going to be ok. “Global warming” will not end life on earth. And what if you are wrong? Whole lotta stress for nothing. Probably causing a lot of unnecessary heart attacks and stress related illnesses not to mention lots of other economic ramifications.

NH mountain man likes this.
  13. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Already answered that. A better world.

Why do you capitalize truth? That is what you think is in it for you. And you are mistaken. You are not included in that group. They are using you.

Felter likes this.
  14. Timberdog

Timberdog

First it was a typo, Then I left it for emphasis. No one is using me. I am an independent thinker. We just disagree.

NH mountain man likes this.
  15. Felter

Felter Banned

this isn't MY data. I'm just doing searches and fact checking. I didn't draw the maps I posted. I'm not a writer for Wikipedia or dictionary.com, or nasa. I'm just a guy searching for, and presenting, facts.

yes there is something you could present, you could present a link to the annual temperature ranking of a major city dating back to 1872 like I did. or you could post a map showing the arctic circle. a picture of a growing glacier, a link to a website, a Nasa picture, or a picture of your own, my mind is like an open book, I'm not forming an opinion and looking for facts that reinforce my opinion.

as of this point I'm still waiting for you to reply, to anything I've posted. Ignoring all my questions, ignoring facts and information, and retaining ones own opinion is not scientific.

16. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

17. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Unfortunately I know how 15 to 20 people can trash our house over the Holidays, so I can't believe 7.5 Billion people are treating the earth any better.

Gary

JoeinO, Rush Battle, Thor and 5 others like this.
  18. Stinny

Stinny

:rofl: :lol:

JoeinO, Thor, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  19. Felter

Felter Banned

at 10:00 he shows a graph showing a decrease in tornado's here is the actual graph showing the exact opposite.
    [​IMG]
    appears he used a mirror image of this graph
    source: Tornado Graphs

at 10:58 he says "we haven't had a killer heat wave since the 50's" below is just a few killer heat waves.
    1972 – in New York and Northeastern U.S. Almost 900 people died;
    1980 – estimated 1,000 people died in the 1980 United States heat wave and drought
    1995 - at least 778 deaths in mostly in Chicago
    1999 - 502 deaths nationwide U.S.A
    Source. List of heat waves - Wikipedia

Midwinter likes this.
  20. Timberdog

Timberdog

Sorry, got preoccupied with life and no offense, but posting you back is at the bottom of my list of things to do right now. I will get back to you when I can with my own tit for tats as time allows. But one thing I first posted that you ridiculed the name for but failed to grasp its significance I will explain before I go. The odd sites link shows where temperatures and other weather measurements are acquired. They are in close proximity to many heatsinks such as air conditioners, heaters, car engines parked nearby in paved parking lots, buildings, etc. I mentioned this earlier but you ignored it and did not address the significant issue of data collection centers which supply the raw data from the sources which you quote. If they are supplying erroneous or skewed information it skews everything. Why not put thermometers far outside cities in the wilderness? Yes some are there. But many, many are located in population centers and where placed there years ago. As these cities and their human populations grow the increase in human activity along with an increase in use of heat producing buildings and equipment has to affect these instruments yielding higher readings. Again, these devices supply the data and you completely gloss over this with zero acknowledgement. This makes me think a deeper discussion will just be a waste of time.
    Odd sites
    USHCN GHCN sites

This issue is also discussed in this video:

and in this article:
    Garbage in, garbage out: More bad warming data - WND

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    NH mountain man, Felter and Stinny like this.