In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Has anyone tried these things?

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Backwoods Savage, Jan 30, 2018.

1. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Well you've probably been hunting longer than I've been breathing :D but I usually have pretty good luck hunting the wind and going slow.

greendohn and Backwoods Savage like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I used to do most of my hunting like that. Today, I usually sit in a tree or blind.

3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Dennis, but don't you see deer while out on your tractor and using your chainsaw, I sure do. I mean deer must be able to see, smell and hear you then.

Here I think the problem is a month before deer season everyone and their brother go out and sight in their hunting rifles. Might as well put up flashing neon signs DEER Season starts soon.

brenndatomu and Backwoods Savage like this.
  4. swags

swags Moderator

I bought one on clearance at cabelas for less then half price. Had it not been on sale I wouldn’t have bought it. But I can say it def helps, not a guarantee though. I’ve had a lot of deer that should have easily smelled me come right in. If your willing to try it, I don’t think you will be disappointed.

I bought the one that you take with you and attach to the tree or blind. If your planning on a bag or tote version, like others said they are cheaper to make by far. The ozone generators are not expensive.

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Yes, we see deer all year long. But they act totally different when you are on the ground walking vs on the tractor working, at least most times. In addition, their reactions are different in different months of the year and for sure once they are disturbed, their reaction becomes much different.

As for the sighting in of rifles, I used to think the same. However, over the many years we've lived here, we used to seldom hear rifle shots except in the fall. Now it is a year around thing. Shoot, I remember one day I was sighting in a rifle (a .308) and was surprised to see a couple deer watching! But I also believe that deer relate fall and the changing of leaves to hunting season. I notice a change in them.

Chaz and Canadian border VT like this.
  6. chris

chris

yes they are keyed into the seasonal temp changes as well as daylight hours. And I swear they are keyed into the week before Gun season here as they simply vanish at that point and go nocturnal until about the end of Dec. I hunt the wind as it were, knowing your terrain , even on a windless day there are thermals to be aware of.

7. ironpony

ironpony

The absolutely best hunter I personally know, he finds a tree, puts his stand up in it, pees on the ground at the base of the tree, climbs up to his stand and shoots a big buck every time.
    Truth.

Backwoods Savage and greendohn like this.
  8. greendohn

greendohn

Had to vacate the house for 24 hours when a skunk sprayed under the house. Vacated because the commercial ozone machines were running, they were the size of a small refrigerator.
    They worked in eliminating the odor completely.

Backwoods Savage and bocefus78 like this.
  9. Lucy

Lucy

Ozone benefits and dangers: Trying to find info on using O3 safely i found the following. The big "shocking" with hi O3 output machines can be very dangerous. What happens is that materials in the area break down, especially synthetics, plastics, foams, carpets etc and when they break down they start releasing gases. Those are the same kind of gases that kill people in fires. If you can detect any different smells in the area after you shut down the O3 unit and air it out then you probably have break down in some materials and they are off gasing. Washing them won't make a difference. This is a serious problem for people who cannot smell.
    It seems most of these problems occur with high powered commercial units. Another problem is that ozone dissipates much slower in colder temperatures, I think it said 140 hrs at 32 degrees fahrenheit (can't remember for certain). O3 is a toxic gas, don't inhale it even a short time can cause serious damage to you respiratory system.
    So overall i'm now worried to use these little gadgets. Fortunately they don't have a very high O3 output. Think I'll wait until it's warmer outside.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Chaz and Backwoods Savage like this.