In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Harman auto sensing issue

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by dotman17, Feb 27, 2020.

1. dotman17

dotman17

IMG_20200302_163950.jpg

Attached Files:

ivanhoe likes this.
  2. dotman17

dotman17

Actually it's a solid green wire I think with one side white or faded. That side is not visible in photo. What you see a solid green wire.

ivanhoe likes this.
  3. dotman17

dotman17

Also it's a quarter inch nut and a pain to get to if using a tiny wrench. Time to upgrade my tool set.

ivanhoe likes this.
  4. dotman17

dotman17

Ok it seems to be working... at least initially. I didn't do anything but removed the ESP and cleaned it which was basically clean, air dried the motherboard which basically was clean and reseated the connections for both the room temp probe and ESP. I dunno. They seemed pretty secure to me. It was probably just my breath.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    ivanhoe likes this.
  5. dotman17

dotman17

Lousyweather please take a look at that top photo. What is that green wire with red connector?

ivanhoe likes this.
  6. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

looks like the ground wire to your distribution fan

ivanhoe likes this.
  7. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

that wire doesn't connect to your circuit board.....likely the ground wire to the distribution fan is off...........some yahoo with big hands got in there!

ivanhoe likes this.
  8. dotman17

dotman17

To ask a completely dumb question: is that bad? What happens if it remains off? Should it be fixed? And where can I ground it to? With that connector, it looks like it plugs in somewhere. You mentioned the distribution fan?

If that came off, then it occurred the very first time I pulled out the stove when I didn't know what I was doing and didn't even know it had come off until I noticed like after the fifth time. :)

ivanhoe and Lousyweather like this.
  9. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

Im sure one of the "everything must be grounded because...." gurus will chime in, but, yea, it should. There should be a place back there to plug that thing into....check the wires coming from the distribution fan...there will be a green one.....

ivanhoe, imacman and dotman17 like this.
  10. dotman17

dotman17

"Grounding wires do not have electric current running through them most of the time, and commonly have exposed wires and connections. A ground wire takes excess electric current away from electrical circuits when there is a surge or electrical issue detected. The grounding wire takes the electricity to the ground through a grounding rod or pipe where it can safely be neutralized. On modern electrical outlets, the third and circular plug is the grounding wire connection for electrical devices that may need to divert electricity from causing electrocution."

ivanhoe likes this.
  11. badbob

badbob

LOL.People misuse "grounding". the "return" line, in A/C systems.(ya most people still think in DC terms). The return converse/interactive voltage in A/C systems works through the neutral leg, not the ground leg.The internet is your friend,use it.Basically, if your current is diverting to your ground leg, your house has a wiring problem.Or/and, perhaps the programming on your board has been disrupted/corrupted.In my short life experiences, Harman control boards are one of the most dependable control units out there, austroflams are probably a bit better.Anyway,good luck, and stay warm.

ivanhoe likes this.
  12. dotman17

dotman17

So yeah i copied that crap off of some junk site I have no idea. Basically I understand it should be reconnected. But it seems like it's a spillover and from what you are saying, you don't think Harman faults or surges very often. I guess what I'm saying it it's been that way for at least 2 years and that stove still is running like a champ. Maybe if I have time some night I'll pull it out and see if I can't reconnect it. But I'm not sensing the critical nature that I do so.

ivanhoe likes this.
  13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

Just to be safe, test it for live power :smoke:
    Your electrical schematic should show wiring colors IIRC!

dotman17 likes this.