In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Harman auto sensing issue

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by dotman17, Feb 27, 2020.

1. dotman17

dotman17

This probably should be posted in the other forum but my hope is there are more eyes here. My room temperature dial stopped working and I am hopeful to avoid a spendy service call. Here's my issue. The auto feature is not working. If I attempt to put it in auto mode from a cold start in a cold room, it fires up for about 2 seconds then immediately shuts down. So I again stop and restart with the same results. Yet if I put it on manual mode, let it run for a few minutes, and then switch it over to auto mode, it seems to be working. At least it did yesterday. I again ran into the same issue this morning (stove did not come on in auto mode) and I fired it up in chilly room temps in auto and the same failure cycle repeats itself. I know auto mode is working after I switch it over because I will come home ten hours later and the stove is still on and maybe a third of the hopper or more is still loaded. If I manually burn, I get about 8 hours before it's all gone.

So it fails on any auto start (pellets don't even drop) but it does seem to work (the sensor that is) when the stove is already going. It's not the burn pot or combustion chamber as I can clearly get it to start manually.

Any thoughts? Or am I going to have to call someone out?

ivanhoe likes this.
  2. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

What model stove is this? Age? When it fails to start is the status light flashing and if so how many times? Check the connections on the room sensing probe and just for kicks give the board a hard reset by unplugging the stove for 30 seconds or so and plug it back in.

ivanhoe likes this.
  3. dotman17

dotman17

I own the Accentra 52i I bought back in 2017. I checked for flashing lights and there are none. I briefly looked at the sensor and didn't notice any irregularities. I guess it means I need to pull the box out on rails and take a peak. But the fact that it works (or seems to) when it's already started troubles me.

Anyway, I like your idea of a hard reboot.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    ivanhoe and Harman Lover 007 like this.
  4. Tullytown

Tullytown

Thinking your room sensor probe could be the problem. No lights flashing so boards prob not an issue.

dotman17 and ivanhoe like this.
  5. subsailor

subsailor

If the stove runs in stove mode but won't in room temp mode, it's probably the sensing probe. It happened to me many years ago when the stove was relatively new.

6. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

52i. Yes definitely slide her out and check the wires. I have a friend with one. We found a pinched wire in his. While it’s out check all the venting etc

7. dotman17

dotman17

I recycled the power and that didn't do it. So I gotta rip it open tomorrow.

ivanhoe likes this.
  8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

Shouldn't it be on warranty, it's not a old stove!
    Pinched wire probably isn't covered so I would check that first before going further with this....

Lousyweather likes this.
  9. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

2 years on the circuit board.
    pinched wire ought to be giving you a 4 blink error if its the RSP. My money is on a dirty potentiometer, or a failed one on the CB.

ivanhoe likes this.
  10. unbidden

unbidden

As suggested, change the room sensor probe. Before you do however and if you haven't already, get the sensor off the floor. While your back there, clean the ESP (exhaust probe sensor) with a green scrub pad.

ivanhoe likes this.
  11. dotman17

dotman17

Yeah probably above my pay grade. Likely I'll buck up and watch and learn.

I dunno. Let me pull it out and see what kind of mayhem I can get in.

Nice links by the way. Well the first one anyway. The second is a dupe.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    ivanhoe likes this.
  12. dotman17

dotman17

Actually the Room Temp auto mode completely fails whether I try from a cold start or I switch it from a manual. So it would seem I have a connection issue, a dirty something or another, or a faulty sensor/probe. Let's see if I can't find that dirty something or another and clean it first before I take a sledgehammer approach and replace the whole wire kit.

Lousyweather and ivanhoe like this.
  13. dotman17

dotman17

ivanhoe likes this.
  14. unbidden

unbidden

By dupe if you mean the link isn't working, try it again as it works on each computer I've tried. If by dupe you mean after-market, scroll down and you'll also see the OEM version. Just to be sure try: Harman Room Temperature Sensor, 3-20-00906-AMP

ivanhoe likes this.
  15. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

connection issues with the RSP will nearly always give you a 4 blink as well......they are fairly cheap (the RSP).....get one and try it, as mentioned by unbidden above

ivanhoe and Harman Lover 007 like this.
  16. dotman17

dotman17

What I meant is that your 'room sensor probe' link is the same as your 'ESP' link. No big deal.

Anyway, as mentioned, my auto mode just shuts down now whether from a dead start or even after switching over from a manual start. No status blinks, no nothing. Waiting for the last batch of pellets in my hopper to burn so I can pull it out easier.

ivanhoe likes this.
  17. dotman17

dotman17

Just curious -- what the hell is the potentiometer? Oh wait. Here it is Lousy.

[​IMG]

I'll try cleaning the motherboard with air. Otherwise, if we are talking about actual components on the motherboard -- forget that. I'll try replacing the probe first. :)

ivanhoe likes this.
  18. dotman17

dotman17

So I was unable to get to it this weekend... though I'm about to pull out the stove today. But rereading this thread, I remembered another symptom. Just before it went out, the days leading up to it, I noticed the stove was underperforming. That is, even though I just cleaned it out, it was coming up about 2 degrees short the last few days before the whole thing went kaput. Like it 'petered' out. Thus, I am doubting I will see dirty motherboard parts or a pinched wire or the sort. I'm thinking the sensor just went bad. I'll know shortly but I'm guessing I have to replace the probe as mentioned.

ivanhoe likes this.
  19. dotman17

dotman17

So I took out the exhaust probe sensor (ESP) and wiped it clean. Benefits of burning quality fuel I guess, because that was basically clean after 3 years.

ivanhoe likes this.
  20. dotman17

dotman17

So can somebody tell me what that green and white twisted pair is? It's been unconnected for as long as I have owned the stove (I think). You can see the open red connector on it just to the right of the flashlight beam between the door and circuit board.

ivanhoe likes this.