In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Half cord for $240

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

You guys tempt me to start cutting wood and selling it, with your prices that you get. But, in this country, firewood goes for $50 to maybe $65 a rick (face cord) x 3 per cord = $150 to $195 per cord, and a lot of people would expect it delivered for that price.

What does tempt me is tree removal, I know one man that has made a good living, doing that. But he has to keep a lot of insurance up, and also equipment. I guess that is why he charges as much as he does.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  2. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Always hated it when camping in a couple Nebraska State parks with signs stating $500 fine if caught cutting any non-bought wood. I asked a ranger and he said even dead and downed wood isn’t to be cut and burned‍♂️‍♂️‍♂️ I actually bought 10 bundles from them that trip but that was the last time we went to that park. I later heard that they had an agreement with their bundle supplier to. It allow firewood any other way than the bundles. Crazy and it was obvious the sticks all around vs most parks where campers pick them up for kindling.

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

That would pizz me off having to buy their wood. I wouldnt stay there either out of principle The campground we regular sells wood bundles (state park) but ill be dammed if im gonna pay for firewood. Ive brought my own and scrounge my own too. Ill go as far as driving to a wooded area and cutting then bringing it back. My brother and i used to do that years back. Campers today are so lazy. Her and i observed a mother and daughter leave and come back with McDonalds last time we camped.
    We cook right over the fire except for breakfast where we use the Coleman stove.

4. WESF

WESF

For a really premium service in a tourist area, $1000/cord wouldn't surprise me.

In my area, I can buy green "mixed hardwood" that's been handled with a skidder and run through a processor for $220/cord. But the cords are always short, they're dumped, and the guy only takes cash. He doesn't seem all that busy.

On the other hand, there's a guy who delivers genuinely dry oak that he bucks and splits by hand before aging it in an old barn. He only buys straight trunks, so the pieces are basically all perfect, no uglies. He takes payment by mobile app, and delivers a neat stack that's at least a true cord while people are way at work. Just punch a couple buttons and add instructions for where you want it stacked, and it's magically there when you get home. He gets $659/cord, and he was sold out before Halloween last fall.

The point here is that firewood in some markets isn't really a commodity, it's a service. People will pay a huge uncharge for a premium service over a commodity product.

I bet just about every city and vacation destination has a $1000/cord market for someone who knows how to provide it.

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  6. billb3

billb3

I've travelled a fair amount and I'm no longer surprised at what the market will bear at different places.