In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Grainy night pics...

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Lucy, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Lucy

Lucy

I finally bought a couple of trail cams. My budget doesn't reach to the fancy ones and i don't need cell reception because you can't get it here in most places. Any suggestions for some that are pretty good for the night?
    What i got:
    The Apeman H68 is nice for the day, love the wide angle but the night pics are awful. Very grainy and complete white out in the light circle and close to the camera. Customer service people are nice but can't change that. So it's going back.
    The Akaso would be ok but isn't very sensitive it misses most things and then has empty pics and videos or tail ends of animals that passed through. It also claims a 120 degree angle and that is just not true, maybe 90. Probably less if i actually measured it. So that is also going back.
    There are so many cameras out there, i am at a loss which way to go. Do you have any experience with some lower priced cams that are sensitive enough to pick things up?

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  2. bocefus78

bocefus78

These are all I use anymore. Super cheap and last a year or two.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...18-c-13897.htm?tid=-656779046777045432&ipos=4

I buy a few each year this time of year when They are on blowout clearance.

Pretty dang good for the price and I've ran many different brands before. Bottom line is they all break in a couple years...especially if out 365.

For $40, they have a good trigger speed, good battery life, and decent flash range.

There are some other models on that same site also on big clearance fwiw...check them out too.

Backwoods Savage and Lucy like this.
  3. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

Wild game Terra 5 or 8. Both cheap.
    If you look on Amazon they are $50+- and the reviews show the same picture and video quality I get.
    None of my cameras work in the cold though. Around 20 degrees without newish batteries they don't work.

4. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

I picked up an Enkeeo 12mp camera off Amazon just before Christmas and have been really satisfied with it for the price. It's 12mp and can hold up to 128gb card I believe. It will record video with sound but I have yet to attempt video. I just wanted pics. Also includes some pretty handy info at the bottom on the pics. It has a screen on the inside if you want to view pictures with that. I just have a SD card reader I plug into my phone to download pics that way. I have had it out during snow and rain and it hasnt gotten a drop of moisture in it. I got some pics below of the deer at the feeder late at night. Tried to find ones of the same deer you compare them. Also included a daylight shot if your going to be getting images during the day. Got a pic of it on the tree with the included straps too. I hope this can help you out.

Edit:
    Forgot to add I am using Amazon Basic rechargable AA's it takes 8 of them and I am getting about 11 days of consecutive use out them. Around 2-2.5k pics before they need to be charged [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Backwoods Savage, milleo and Lucy like this.
  5. Lucy

Lucy

Maybe that is why my Apeman keeps shutting itself off. It was down to 9 degrees this morning when i checked. The Akaso didn't seem to be effected by the temp.

6. Lucy

Lucy

Th
    They are pretty sharp much better than mine. Like your little camera hood.

Backwoods Savage and jfhrtn like this.
  7. Lucy

Lucy

I'm going to order one. The reviews seem good and pics look pretty impressive.

8. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

Lucy my wood splitter is about 50yds behind the camera on the other side of the lot so I figured with all the bark I got laying around I would make a little hood/roof haha. Especially with the snow that has been coming through. One thing I do I to the rubber gasket that seals the camera housing is put a little PTFE oring lube on it to seal out any potential moisture. I get the stuff I use at the local pool shop. I normally use it on all my flashlights but works great for any other rubber/nitrile seals. I'll post a pic of what I got below[​IMG][​IMG]

Horkn, Backwoods Savage and Lucy like this.
  9. Lucy

Lucy

Thank you, that makes sense. I'll get some and apply it when the camera gets here. Got lots of bark from splitting so it also will get a little roof :thumbs:

10. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

I think just about any PTFE lubricant would work. Vaseline would probably work in a pinch. A product called Super Lube is also a pretty decent product and can be found at most any automotive store [​IMG][​IMG]

11. Lucy

Lucy

Hi jfhrtn, Thanks for all your help. Tried out the cameras together. The enkeeo is a keeper. I'm impressed that it even has a sensitivity setting. Day and night are really good and it picks things up very well, no tail end from disappearing animals.
    the Apeman H68 is great during the day good pick up and great wide angle view. The night jpegs are ok but the videos are horrible, called the company, they agree something is wrong with the camera and they would return half the money. What a joke, half the use of the camera is defective and they want to return half of the money? It goes back to Amazon. The Akaso picture quality is ok, day and night. However, it doesn't pick things up. mostly tail ends and empty frames. It also goes back. Bought a couple of Bressers from Walmart for $ 25. They are really pretty good, just jpegs but 5 in a row and pretty good pick up.
    I'm after catching pics of a weasel or similar kritter. It went after a rabbit the other night when i disturbed it. The rabbit got away and the kritter was p...ed off and gave me a few really hoarse hisses not quite like a cat's. Unfortunately it was in a briar patch so i couldn't see it. I'm really curious what it is.

12. Lucy

Lucy

The cameras were all out in heavy rainfall with wind gusts up to 40 mph and in temps down to 2 degrees F. No problems with any of them. They all worked.

13. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

Next time you are in the market for a cam check out UltraproX cameras. I started running a few of them this year and so far im impressed for a cam under $100. The trigger speed is unbelievable and the picture quality is right up there with the $200 cameras

14. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

Lucy not a problem at all on the help. Glad I could help you out in some way. I have been really impressed with how well it picks up animals coming in from the side. If I was producing the Apeman's I'd return the full amount to hopefully get the customer back once the issue is resolved. I'll have to keep my eye out for the Bressers and might pick one up to hide in the tree line to watch my splitter and canoe. Hope you can snag a pic of what hissed at you in the briar patch. Be interesting to see what it is.

15. Lucy

Lucy

Didn't catch the little hisser yet but the rabbit is really scared of the camera. It carefully peaks at it through the grass and then takes a big leap to get on the other side of the light. You can only tell it's there by watching the pics in succession.
    The pic is a doe the Bresser caught.
    The rabbit, look for the glowing eye. I can't post them in succession to show the movement.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Horkn, milleo and Backwoods Savage like this.
  16. Lucy

Lucy

Wo sells those cams? Can't find them at Amazon or Walmart.

17. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Lucy, sorry I did not find this thread earlier.

I've had experience with Cuddeback, Wildgame, Browning, Moultrie and Bushnell. Overall, I have to give the highest marks to Wildgame and Browning but Browning is the higher priced one.

I have a couple quite old Wildgame that works great except they don't take quite as good of night pictures as they did when new and they also take lots of batteries. I tend to take all video pictures now and will get a couple hundred most weeks and get a couple months or more from the Wildgame. The Browning are more expensive cameras and take both great day and night pictures and also have sound. Those take fewer batteries. But overall right now I have to say the Wildgame cameras give more for the money and they take great pictures; video or still.

Here are 2 pictures taken with Wildgame cameras. The quality is not as good as if you took still pictures because I had to capture them off videos.

WG1.jpg WG2.jpg
    Here are 2 pictures taken with Browning cameras. Again, the pictures were videos so I just had to capture off them so the quality is just a bit off. I'd post a video but they are too large unless I posted them first on youtube and I really don't want to do that.

Notice to this camera also gives moon phase and temperature along with sound.
    Big 9a.jpg 9a.jpg

18. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

Besides battery performance Wich other cams are suseptible to..
    The only complaint I have about my wild game cams is that occasionally you get blurs but even expensive cameras will do it. All I wanted was a solid pic after running into him half a dozen times in person.
    Pictures of computer screen:rolleyes: IMG_20171121_114250353_HDR.jpg IMG_20171201_142438132_HDR.jpg

Lucy likes this.
  19. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Looks like you need to put the camera a bit further back. That blur also is caused from a quick movement of the animal. I've never got this but then, I use videos rather than still shots. You get so much more information and a sense of what is happening.

Boomstick and Chvymn99 like this.
  20. Lucy

Lucy

Thanks Backwoods Savage, I also took mostly videos and don't like posting on youtube. I'm still trying things out. Just got a 6 volt battery that i'll start this weekend. Got some interesting pics. Max my big lab got himself some big hunk of meat that he didn't bring home and hid somewhere. No wonder he wasn't very hungry at suppertime. A coyote followed that same trail the night after, probably smelled Max's kill and was looking for it.
    I have them out right now and will pull the cards this weekend to see how they did.

Attached Files: