In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Got an idea

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by T.Jeff Veal, Nov 17, 2019.

1. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I have read about having the soapstone to absorb the heat and slowly release it. I am thinking about getting a piece of soapstone cut to fit the top of the Blackcomb. Any thoughts on this idea? Might even get a couple pieces for the sides if I can figure out a holder for it.

Thor, M2theB, bear 1998 and 2 others like this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I think Woodstock sells pieces of it for this very purpose...

3. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I didn't see any on their website. Might have to call them

4. NVhunter

NVhunter

My parents did this with their old Fisher insert. They set a big 1.5" thick 18" by 12" slab on top of it. Seemed to hold heat for a little while longer after the stove was out. They bought it from a company on the west coast I believe. Shipping was too much from the east and it would probably arrive in pieces the way these shipping companies handle items

5. webby3650

webby3650

The issue is that it could possibly over heat the top of the stove, and the secondary air tubes. The stove is designed to be able to dump heat, if it can’t it might cause problems.
    The other thought is sure it might release a small amount of heat into the room after the fire dies out. Will it be enough to make a difference in your heating needs? Also, it will make it take all that much longer to get usable heat into the room on a re-fire. Soapstone is an excellent insulator!

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

This is one thing I was thinking about too...might work out OK if the stove is a little big for your space though? As long as it doesn't cause internal issues...my unprofessional opinion if that it would be OK, unless the stove was overfired...then soapstone on it would lower the point where damage would be done, I think...

7. moresnow

moresnow

Slowing down heat release by forcing it through a add on rock seems counter productive to me. About like hanging cast cladding on a perfectly good plate steel stove design! Aesthetics or visual appeal I guess? :whistle: Just my humble opinion. FWIW

8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

No, not vain, just wanted opinions of it might would work similar to the other stoves, even out the heat. I like our Drolet

9. moresnow

moresnow

What else is there to talk about at 11:45 Sunday night:) Definitely let us know if it works out.

10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Several people have done this. A few have said they notice the difference but most have not noticed much at all. I don't recommend it even though I love the way soapstone evens out the heat. I also remember scoffing at this idea of "soft heat" that you get with soapstone. Ha! I bought a soapstone stove and absolutely love the soft heat it gives. Yes, there is a difference.

You can call Woodstock and they will sell you some if that is what you want.

11. webby3650

webby3650

I’m not a fan of this “soft” heat. My hearthstone Mansfield made soft heat for sure. I never really felt like my Fireview was all that “soft” . It was a much better heater than that Hearthstone!

12. Backwoods Savage

You may not but I certainly notice it! In addition, we used to fight getting heat to the rear of the house. Not any more! We don't use a fan at all for getting heat back there and it stays nice and warm thanks to the radiant heat.
    The soft heat? Well, heat up a steel stove and you are like the old Indian saying about white man build big fire; stand way back. Indian build small fire; stand close. When you can't get too close to the steel stove lest you burn thyself, you can heat up the soapstone and stand right next to it without that harsh heat.

Thor, Hoytman and brenndatomu like this.
  13. webby3650

webby3650

I prefer the big heat after a long day in the cold. In reality though, the BK is similar to that soft heat, except I can run it up to 900 if I choose to!
    Either way, our houses are warm.

14. Backwoods Savage

That's pretty hot for sure! I'll bet that is not soft heat!

brenndatomu likes this.
  15. RGrant

RGrant

I say go for it. I can't think of any harm that would come of it.
    On my old VC Vigilant I had a lodge cast iron griddle that I put on top of the stove that I would cook on somewhat regularly. There were times when I'd bring the griddle from the stove into the kitchen and while it might be a placebo effect, I really thought the heat was harsher when the griddle top wasn't on the stove.
    Out of habit I still keep the griddle top on my new stove.
    It has some weight to it, but it's still cast iron, not soapstone.

16. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

Previous to getting my Woodstock Fireview for my living room, I had a Garrison One "smoke dragon" from 1980 when we built the house. It was a "state of the art" steel woodstove made in Claremont NH, just south of Woodstock. It was a large stove, shaped very much like the Fv and they placed a beautiful 3/4" thick polished soapstone as an option on the top of the stove. On the inside of the stove they also placed soapstone bricks on the base and along the sides of the stove. It was a great stove of the day, and with the right wood it would cruise nicely with minimal smoke at the chimney.

So yes, get a soapstone top and put it on there. Here's a pic if it comes through.
    garrison woodstove stove fireplace 3d model

17. jo191145

jo191145

Well I can certainly tell the difference between steel, cast and soapstone. Had all three in my living room.
    Steel and cast will heat your face and freeze the back of your neck. Stone is a wraparound gentle heat.

will one slab on top be an improvement? Don’t know. Seeing as TJ is from Georgia I would say it should be. Don’t really need a blast furnace in Georgia.
    It certainly makes relights easier. It’s nice when there’s a little heat left in the stove to keep the flue warm and induce the draft.
    Having had a Fireview and now a PH I would never go back to metal.

Backwoods Savage, BCB and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  18. webby3650

webby3650

I’ve also had each of all of the different types. Too many to mention actually... I’ve got a woodstove habit.
    I’ve enjoyed all of my cast iron stoves, not all of my steel stoves, did not like the Hearthstone Mansfield! Absolutely loved my WS Fireview. Most of which were in the same living room. I feel like the Blaze King is the best of both worlds, when it’s locked down and cruising the stove makes a nice mild heat while still burning clean. My issue with other metal stoves has been trying to have a low fire on milder days, it can be difficult without secondary combustion crashing. I’d like to get my hands on a PH!

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  19. Hoytman

Hoytman

Radiant heat is just that...radiant. Want less of it in a steel stove...build a smaller fire. It's pretty simple. Soapstone by it's nature will not allow too much intense heat to get through...it absorbs it and slowly releases it. Will it get too hot and put off crazy amounts of heat...yes...but just imagine how hot that hell is inside of that stove. It's used because it heats slowly and that's what gives a "soft" effect, and it holds heat or retains it well, but it can get hot if you want it to. I wouldn't want it that hot myself...defeats the purpose of having it...for the soft feel and the ability to maintain heat after the fire is gone.
    I would tend to pay close attention to the words above, then...

... proceed with caution if you just have to try it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    T.Jeff Veal and Backwoods Savage like this.
  20. jo191145

jo191145

Being concerned with trapping heat on the stove is a valid concern. Modified or not ;)
    That leaves the question at what throttle the particular stove is usually run? Can you turn it lower?
    If your trapping heat in the secondary’s simply turning it lower will cure that issue. Secondaries require heat. It’s never a bad thing unless it’s running away uncontrollably. Stove should run more efficiently with some heat retention at the top.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.