In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Got a free MS170

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by basod, Dec 1, 2013.

  1. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    They sell cylinders for clamshell motors alright. You can still have a good rod, crank, bearings and a base cover to transfer over to a new cylinder. It's a good bit more work to swap a top end on clamshell designs too.

    But I would not open a clamshell motor if I had the option to just transfer the whole thing into a chassis.
     
    clemsonfor likes this.
  2. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Tell me about it!! I pulled the 390 apart when the decomp valve fell apart and jambed the piston to the cylinder. That was a pain to pull it down. That was also my first major saw dissasembly!