We are on holidays and came across this gem of a building. I thought I would share some pictures with you. It was built in 1952-1953. Here is a link on some info for it. Glass House (British Columbia) - Wikipedia The living room Downstairs bedroom the kitchen the viewing tower
View from the tower the tower again View spot of the lake the view of the lake. My attempt at a panorama shot. the sun through the top edge of the bridge Front of the castle from the road. This was built to be lived in and still has family living upstairs. People walking into the house from the road to see the inside became such a problem that the family moved next door and began selling tickets to people who wanted to tour the place.
Wild construction! Were those solid glass bricks that were set in cement? I'm a little disappointed that the interiors were wood paneled, I would have wanted to see the light shining through the walls.
I was in Victoria on Thursday and we toured the Craigdarroch castle.... I would have much rather seen this place!!!!
Looks like it is frozen in time with those furnishings. I have a pink matching 1950''s toilet and sink that would look great in there... It's on the list to go...
They are old embalming bottles that the owner just had to find a use for. He hoarded and scrounged over 500,000 bottles to make the place. He was an undertaker. The bottles are about 2 1/2" inches square on the base and about 6 -8" high.
I really like Craigdarroch castle as well. Our English cousins get a charge out of our Canadian size castle.
We didn't get to see the bathroom but it was probable small. I think it was upstairs. The door leading to the upstairs was very small.