In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Giz/Emma and everyones pets on the board

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Loon, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Congrats! On the new family member….

2. Warner

Warner

089C4CAC-52D6-4EB1-9213-9DCA6718DC0D.jpeg I don’t think he likes it here much! Lol

3. yooperdave

yooperdave

Let the shrieking begin!

4. bogieb

bogieb

She us so cute!

5. bogieb

bogieb

Looking downright uncomfortable there - why do you abuse him so? :rofl: :lol:

6. Stinny

Stinny

:rofl: :lol:... Giz would prolly be embarrassed... Mia can't even begin to keep up with the Giz monster shreeeeeekin. She does have a cool "wolf" howl tho. Head tipped up and all. Guess the tiny hounds still have a tiny bit of wild gene in em. Now, all I gotta do is keep the foxes, coyotes, bobcat, owls, hawks and eagles... from snatchin her. Lately, all have been seen in the neighborhood... :dex:

7. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    campinspecter made a sunburst of fishing line from our clothesline pole that kept the eagles, owls and hawks away. From the pole, he had lines going out to our fence in a sunburst pattern. It didn't have to be solid just enough to interrupt the flight path of an eagle. It worked very well. As for the others, I don't have any ideas other than a small fenced area very close to the house and letting her go out with supervision especially at night. We lost our little male to a cougar in our back yard when he was farthest from the house.

8. Stinny

Stinny

I remember when that cougar showed up there. Must have been hard to lose the little guy that way. The fishing line is a good idea, and not too costly, for the birds. For now, she's always with one of us... on a light pull retractable & harness. So far, so good... but our ground predators aren't very shy. For now, all I can do is watch the tree lines closely when it's dark, while walking in the lit areas. Thanks E. Hey to Allan.

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Mine does that on MY side of bed and snores loud!!
    Think the bulldog from Tom & Jerry … his lips flap too..

He will move If and only If he wakes up

10. yooperdave

yooperdave

Weighed "Cooper" a week ago and he tipped the scales at 41lbs. Just over 4 months now. He is definitely 99's dog!

IMG_20220809_201752298.jpg

Knothead, Chvymn99, eatonpcat and 6 others like this.
  11. bogieb

bogieb

No pictures today, but thought I would pass on some first hand experience for cat owners. Going to discuss the, ugghh, cat boxes.

I have 3 cats and 2 large litter boxes - tried 3 boxes for a while and 1 was always ignored, so reduced to 2. I've always used T*dy Cat litter. I swapped over to clumping when it came out and use the 4-in-1 (black lid) type - after experimenting, that controlled odors the best and none of the cats avoided it (1 cat wouldn't use the blue lid variety). Even cleaning the boxes every day, and mixing in baking soda based deodorizer when needed, the odor was controlled, but it still wasn't the best.

All the hype seems to be on the crystal cat litter. With the 40# containers of T*dy Cat up near $20 each, and going thru about 1/2 a container per week, I was kind of looking around at alternatives. About a month ago I saw "mini crystals" at W*almart. It was in a 4# bag for $6, so I figured what the heck, I'd try it out. I completely cleaned and scrubbed 1 of the litter boxes, dumped in the crystals and covered it with about 1" of their regular litter. Two of the cats liked it and once the clay litter was mixed up by paw action, I had to scoop few clumps from the litter. So, not only did that box not smell at all, I just had to scoop the poops (and stir the crystals), and the crystals didn't stick to the litter box so there was no scraping. Oh yeah, I didn't have to add any litter in 3 weeks. I have since entirely changed that box over to crystals.

Within a few days of starting the crystals, I started looking for a change to the other litter box. I agonized over the different types out there and finally found walnut shell based litter. Mixed that into the other box. Well, that to does a very fine job too. Walnut litter clumps harder and smaller than clay, and it doesn't stick to the litter box. It also naturally controls odor so there is no perfumy smell. I mean, it said all that on the bag but I was skeptical. Although, unlike the crystals, I still scoop out clumps of urine, those clumps are much smaller and I add only a little more litter every 7-10 days.

So, between the two types I use a lot less litter, there is no smell, don't use any deodorizer at all (even in the container I use for the waste), and any clumps don't stick to the sides/bottom of the box. Oh, and there is less tracked from both boxes. If you have been thinking of trying either of those options out, I encourage you to do so.

Chvymn99 and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  12. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Thanks for the info. Mom has only one cat now who will spend quite a bit of time outside and then comes in and uses the litter box. We have been using T*dy Cat light so Mom can handle the containers. How heavy were the packages of crystals and walnut litter?

13. bogieb

bogieb

The Vibrant Life mini crystals come in 4 and 8 pound bags at Walmart. There are other, more expensive crystals out there too (Wally World does carry other brands - I tried the cheapest to see how the cats would react). Also, the crystal size may have something to do with acceptance. But I really have no idea on the differences, I just saw the "mini" and the price and went that route.

I found the Naturally Fresh walnut litter at my local Agway (farm and garden store) and it is in a 14 pound bag. The link does have a store locator and I see it is on Chewy and Amazon too. Also, at the bottom of the website is a sign up for coupons, which I just signed up for. There may be other brands of walnut litter out there so it may depend on the area you are in as to what is locally available.

If you decide to try a non-clay litter, make sure to follow the directions on the container for changing her cat over. It will be something to the affect of cover the bottom of the box with the new litter, then add 1" (or more) of the old litter on top. That way it will be turned over slowly by the cats' natural actions and gradually get it used to the new texture.

14. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

bogieb Thanks for the info especially on how to change it over. I wouldn't have thought of that. I will have to research to see what is available here.

15. Ron T

Ron T

They both got bathed yesterday. 20220821_102222.jpg 20220821_102304.jpg

16. Ron T

Ron T

Bandit snuck in his favorite log today. 20220823_180500.jpg 20220823_180504.jpg

17. Ron T

Ron T

Today is national dog day!! IMG959575.jpg IMG959571.jpg

18. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

19. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

A friend of ours had two new puppies born yesterday on National Dog day. They were border collies and they are so cute! Sorry I don't have pics. I just saw them in a Zoom meeting.

20. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Chvymn99, yooperdave, Ron T and 3 others like this.