In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Git'ter done down in Dixie

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by T.Jeff Veal, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Midwinter

Midwinter

Wow, those are huge! And you have to get them down a hill? Video for sure, if you have someone to hold the camera, I think you'll be plenty busy. And pics of the bucking, and splitting, and a final tally of the number of cords you get out of those beasts, too, please!

barns1, Chaz, Screwloose and 3 others like this.
  2. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

T.Jeff Veal impressive logs, straight grown and ready to be milled.

3. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

We spent a couple hours this morning bucking up and splitting some of the smaller oak and hickory logs we got recently. Starting to fill the big shed Midwinter. Probably stack it Monday morning. IMG_20190316_195627.jpg

4. Midwinter

Midwinter

Ooh the big shed!

Chaz, Screwloose and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  5. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Here is one short video my hunny did. We will get a better one next week when we go back up there. Probably cut that small tree and move a rock so it will be a straight drive up.

6. Midwinter

Midwinter

I love it! Your buddy on the back is the counterweight! Did you have to go down the hill too? Many more logs to go I imagine. Be safe!

barns1, Chaz and Screwloose like this.
  7. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

My friend was standing on the counter weight...lol...I want to get a video of the whole hill...first trip up, pulled a 20ft 18-20" dia log, got kind of exciting, tried first hooked to loader, nope, turned around and hooked to ball on counter weight, lifted log, made a little progress, then front end got off the ground, try again, got a big bucket of dirt and made it up then. Now we are cutting the logs 6' and bringing them out on the forks...had 8 logs on the trailer before the rain stopped us, so we made about 5 trips up and down the hill, glad I have a seatbelt for going down....hunny says I'm crazy, she might be right, but I love doing this...

barns1, Chaz, Screwloose and 2 others like this.
  8. Midwinter

Midwinter

That sounds like a carnival ride. Also, a log arch would have been handy, but it sounds like you managed with the forks. And rain as well, making everything slippery? Yikes!

barns1, jo191145, Chaz and 1 other person like this.
  9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

It's kind of Rocky, didn't get slick getting the logs out, dirt road on the other hand....lol

10. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

IMG_20190318_120444405.jpg
    Got the pile stacked this morning, just a little over .4 cord. Had a little tulip poplar that I stacked separate, so close to 1/2 cord done so far.

11. Midwinter

Midwinter

All that empty space is great motivation! Up here a tight packed volume like that would take a long time to dry, but in the south it must bake just fine.

12. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

It does dry faster, once we get about 2 rows done, I take the end wall down and put a couple fans blowing through.

13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

As Midwinter said earlier in this thread, "it's raining wood", an older friend called yesterday, wanted to know if we were still getting wood. My hunny said "Yes sir". He had a couple oaks taken down about a year ago. We managed to get the main trunk sections of the bigger tree out. He may bring his skid steer home and root out more of it. Piled up and tangled bad. Other main trunk already had gotten termites in it, so left it for now. Got 4 good logs 22-30" dia. I seriously need to have a southern GTG or go in recovery program...not....

Attached Files:

14. Midwinter

Midwinter

Better than letting them go to waste! Especially if you have the equipment to handle them. You can start saying no this summer when it's 95°!

Chaz and Screwloose like this.
  15. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Wouldn't that be against FHC ethical code of honor to say NO TO WOOD... especially if it's some primo wood? Sounds almost blasphemous..,:startled::hair:
    Told ya I was :wacky::loco: :crazy:

barns1, Stlshrk, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  16. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Well, we made it back to the woods yesterday, managed to get all we had at the staging area bucked to 6' and loaded on the trailer. Made 2 trailer loads, 26 logs to the house yesterday, 34 total so far, got about 3-4 more trees to clean up. Did get better videos made. My hunny did the first one, standing about mid way down the hill.
    I did the second one on the tractor all the way to the trailer. It's kinda long, but some beautiful woods. Very enjoyable day. Hope y'all like it.

17. Midwinter

Midwinter

That's a long drive! At least no rain this time. You are right, very pretty woods before leafout.

18. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

:binoculars::binoculars:, yes mam, beautiful day. Thanks

Chaz and Screwloose like this.
  19. Chaz

Chaz

That is quite a ways back in the woods.

Lovely though.
    :binoculars::yes:

Can't recall, but are you north of Atlanta?

Surely don't recall such rolling hills much south of Atlanta, especially as far down as Valdosta.

20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

We are about 2 1/2 south of Atlanta and 4 hrs north of Valdosta. Kinda middle of the state, we have some ridges here and there. That place where we were is one county north of us. It has several rock outcroppings. That hill is over 125 ft tall. I'll take some better pictures if I can when we go back. Look up Deepstep GA on the map. That's where we be.

Midwinter likes this.