In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ghosts of the past

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Eric Wanderweg, Mar 17, 2021.

1. RCBS

RCBS

The biggest Wolf tree in my woods started to fall apart about 6 years ago. The wolves get spared the loggers blades usually because they are very branchy down low to the stump. Another gigantic red oak that lived at a corner boundary fell two years ago. My idea of gigantic is 4'+ diameter. No idea how many rings those contain, but fairly safe to assume they were around before steam engines were.

I think you'll enjoy this Eric. I found it a couple years ago and thought it was interesting. He has a couple others.

Lately, I have been trying to source free Lidar maps of my property. After watching a guy reveal American Indian earthworks around my State with it I am fully intrigued. I think it would show all my trails giving me a 'map' of them. Might be some other interesting stuff hiding also.

Eric Wanderweg and John D like this.
  2. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Yeah absolutely, I've watched all of Tom Wessels' videos on the New England Forests YouTube channel, many of them 2-3 times. There's so much good information in there :handshake:

John D likes this.
  3. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Glad you got a kick out of it :) I'm big into forest forensics in my area too. I love finding old homesites, abandoned civilization, wolf trees, former pasture lands reclaimed by the forest, etc. I have more old relics and junk than space to store it all :picard:

sms4life and John D like this.