In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Getting leaners on the ground

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by billb3, Dec 30, 2013.

  1. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    from Last Winter
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    With some persuasions, on the ground
    IMG_0279.JPG IMG_0280.JPG IMG_0282.JPG IMG_0281.JPG


    I need some pulleys.
    Need to get these up the hill, strip the bark off and maybe use them to build a wood shed.
    Simple, whole log. Don't own a sawmill, plus they're a bit small in dia.
    But still heavy for pine.
    Leftovers for firewood.
     
    Gark, papadave, Pallet Pete and 2 others like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,179
    Location:
    Central MI
    Not sure why but I've always enjoyed cutting those type of trees.
     
  3. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Good job
    No barber chairs
    Some good framing wood for the shed. :)

    You stack & burn the brush?
    No snow yet this year?
     
  4. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Every .single .one .was hung up. :mad:
    I don't think I've ever had a pine barber chair. Maple on the other hand .......

    I do need a wood shed, especially for pine. It gets soft and rots in the marine atmosphere here.
    I don't bother burning brush. Usually just spread it out on the forest floor. It assimilates naturally.
    I have a chipper but the motor seized. Pine branches make good kindling if you have time to smash 'em into small pieces. I have a couple bags of shingle rejects and cut-offs yet to turn coals to flame from building a garage. I'm getting soft.

    Had 4-6 inches of slush freeze and make getting around difficult, then it warmed up and I can work outside when I get a chance and some daylight. Still would rather be outside than in during the day.
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  5. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Where ?

    "I don't bother burning brush. Usually just spread it out on the forest floor. It assimilates naturally"
    No wild fire issues I guess. ?
     
  6. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Not often enough that people get concerned about it in that part of the state. Last BIG BIG fire in Southeast MA was nearly 50 years ago. It stopped when it hit Massachusetts Bay.

    http://massmoments.org/moment.cfm?mid=154
     
  7. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    No need to burn it and make smoke really. Got enough acres to just spread it around. As long as I don't make piles and maximize wet ground contact it rots pretty quick. I also have a brush and trash dump on the edge of a cliff that acts like a compost pile. Let nature do the work. Mix of leaves, green and brown - it breaks down pretty quick.
     
  8. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    64/65/66 we had a pretty good drought going on.
    We lost some huge old hemlock stands.
    There's swamp and pond all around me, some of my maple comes from the swamp.
    Would rather see juniper and cypress growing there like should be anyway.
    Wish I had the time and $ to do some planting.