In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Getting a new truck, compare RAM EcoDiesel vs F150 Platnum??

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Machria, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Machria

Machria

Is "in"? OR Is "out"?

brenndatomu likes this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

In, in :rofl: :lol:

3. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

OK? So the Eco boost beat the Dodge by a few seconds in an all out race?

I bet that Dodge still got over 20 MPG. While the Ford EcoBull was around 9MGP.

Just sayin..

Laying the wood to the floor is fun. But torque and fuel economy is where it's at.

My 5.4 L 2003 Ford F 150 FX4 Crew cab would love to grow up to be this smaller motor. I've put 165,000 in 13 yrs on that 5.4. And I'd take my little 3.0 liter any day.

I'd buy the dodge.. Best half ton out there.

The day an Ecoboost gets 27 MPG on a good day, downhill, with the wind at its back??? Well?? I may buy one. Till then? This little European Motor kicks azz!!

20160620_170323.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Canadian border VT and Barcroftb like this.
  4. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

And the 2.7 is twin turbo.. As is its bigger cousin. So double the trouble when something goes wrong!!

Barcroftb likes this.
  5. Machria

Machria

LOL!! Good point on the economy. Regarding the tow race up hill video, I found it VERY interesting the EcoDiesel beat the vaunted Ecoboost off the line every time. When I initially (page 1) posted I personally have found the Ecodiesel seems to have more pep at slower speeds, most folks in here refuted that observation. Well, I went out and did the test drives again, 10 minutes apart (a 3.0 ecodiesel VS the 3.5l Ecoboost), it's not my imagination, that diesel feels peppy'er. And according to Fords little tow test, that looks to be true when towing 9000 lbs as well. ;)

My 5.4 only has 123k on it, and she can only dream in her deepest sleep of getting 27mpg. My wallet can dream too, can't it? It sure did hurt filling that truck up during the $5.70 a gallon gas days 2 years ago. My 5.4L sure does have a drinkin problem! :D

DexterDay and Barcroftb like this.
  6. Machria

Machria

DexterDay , maybe you missed the above ....

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Barcroftb likes this.
  7. Horkn

Horkn

The ecodiesel is a diesel, had a turbo, and Italian. That's triple the trouble. ;)

MasterMech and eatonpcat like this.
  8. Machria

Machria

FUGGETABOUTIT!!! Ya ain't gonna have no trouble!!!

Barcroftb and eatonpcat like this.
  9. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, the ecodiesel stepped out off the line first, vs the 2.7 ecoboost. It should with 420 tq.

That said, that was the smaller ecoboost in the video, and it handily beat the ecodiesel in all other aspects other than the initial jump.

2 seconds slower 0-60 is a lot of time. The stopwatch doesn't lie.

If you talk mpg of the ecodiesel, you have to account for the diesel fuel costs, which you said are a bit worse where you live. Ecoboost only requires regular gas. The DEF isn't free either, it does add up. A friend has a 2015 3.5 ecoboost supercrew 4x4. He gets at least 22 mpg on the freeway. And that's with bigger than stock tires.

I just look at empirical data. Then I crunch numbers, and test drive things. Then I buy what I want that I can live with for a few years, and hope I made the right choice. If it isn't, at least I've made the best informed choice I could.

I'll also watch you guys buy these trucks and eventually when I buy one it's going to have even more data, good or bad, to make an informed decision.

Canadian border VT likes this.
  10. Horkn

Horkn

Lol. That's one main reason I'm not looking at the Aprilia motorcycle vs the BMW and Yamaha. The Italians can and will leave you without a ride for a while.

FIAT = Fix It Again Tony ! :rofl: :lol:

11. Machria

Machria

WHAT??? Your suppoda get one first, so I can look at YOUR data!!

VS FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily

12. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Fuel economy :emb:...Take off your skirt and go put on some pants!!:cool:

13. ironpony

ironpony

I will keep my paid for 2002 Cummins 6speed, that gets 20mpg reliably. No extra pollution garbage, will pull or haul anything you can throw at it. Go down south buy one for 12,000, put 30,000 in the bank and enjoy. You do not need it for work or hauling it is just a driver. Better yet if you are worried about mileage and want a diesel buy a VW.

14. Machria

Machria

Considering the below... I need to put the skirt on!! ;)

Saving the $ would certainly be nice, especially right now since I was just fired from work this week after 23 years on the job. But I still need a more reliable truck, so a car/suv would not really be an option. I have an offshore fishing/cruising boat I enjoy using. It often requires lots of gear, gear that you often do not want in a car or SUV cabin. It can be wet, smelly, salty, dirty... not to mentioned often loading tools and shopvacs (wet and dirty ones from dirty diesel bilge water....) and fishing gear back and fourth to the dock and my house.

So I do need a "Truck", I just don't need the pulling power or a large bed which is why a short bed is fine for me, and even the smaller bed with the storage boxes on the ram intrigue me. The only time I need a bigger bed is, for a wood scrounge. And for that I can use the bed extender to help a lot, same thing I do now on my 02 Screw with short bed.

Barcroftb likes this.
  15. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Can't like this! Sorry to hear about the job loss.

Horkn, eatonpcat and concretegrazer like this.
  16. Machria

Machria

Thanks... no biggie honestly. I've been trying to get out for a while now, needed a change, move on.... A bit scary not having a paycheck all of a sudden, and the way they fired me was ridiculous after 20+ years, but that is Corp life I guess. Onto the next chapter! ;)

Horkn, Hammy, cnice_37 and 2 others like this.
  17. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Sorry also regarding the loss of job Machria , on to bigger and better things!! On the bright side, More time for fishing and it is Tuna time!!

Barcroftb likes this.
  18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

sorry about Job loss Machria my friend and I experienced similar... 5 years ago.. mine is still covered by confidentiality agreement so let me give you his... 12 year with a fortune 50 company.. they purchased a health care division he worked at as a software tech.. basically told him he was over paid take 20% cut or severance and leave.. well he choose to leave 6 month later hired him back as consultant at more money because they forgot they still had to service some legacy systems that was what he did! as you can guess the talent pool that knew systems and customers and how they were customized for use was limited to say the least!

Horkn, Barcroftb and eatonpcat like this.
  19. bassJAM

bassJAM

I've looked within 200 miles of where I live looking for Lariats, your location may be different. They only list for $1000-2000 less than new, not enough for me to worry about. I've yet to see a Platinum less than $50k, most have been $55-60 but it seems with the good prices on new 2016's, the used 2015's are starting to fall some to within the last month. The higher trims to lose their value more, I'm not sure a used 2015 XLT can be bought cheaper when there's $7500 in rebates for a new one.

Believe me, I've ALWAYS advocated getting a used vehicle and swore I'd never pay for a new one. But after doing some research I'm not sure it's such a bad idea right now.

Horkn, Drvn4wood and Barcroftb like this.
  20. bassJAM

bassJAM

They posted the mileage on the uphill towing section, 4.3 for the Ford and 6.1 for the Dodge. So yeah, the Dodge did better on fuel economy but it still took almost a minute and a half longer to make it up the hill.

What caught my eye was Dodge's 3.92 gear ration to Ford's 3.55. If the Ford had the max tow package that comes with a 3.73 ratio it would have really spanked the Dodge might have been more even off the line as well!

Horkn likes this.