In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Getting a new truck, compare RAM EcoDiesel vs F150 Platnum??

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Machria, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Horkn

Horkn

Ram fca chrysler have gone all over the place with their warranties over the last 10 years. They did have 10 years 100k power train warranties, on everything a while back.

Now on the ecodiesel for 2018 its 5 yrs 100k, for prior years?

clemsonfor, Hammy and brenndatomu like this.
  2. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I think it may have been 100k when he bought, that number was sticking in my head as a number.

At least it's a diesel and hopefully won't have the fuel pump go out like they do on all the gas models. The one in my work truck went out at 36k, my buddies went out at like 60 to 75k.

3. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah, it's still 100k or 5 yrs on them.
    The long term ram ecodiesel that motortrend had for a year went through a catalytic converter, and some other stuff that shouldn't go on a vehicle in 40k. Lots of emissions stuff went. I'm afraid that new diesels are all emissions crazy now.

That's a non starter for me as the lure of the diesel was lack of emissions stuff. Sure, you could delete that stuff, but not around here.

Hammy, clemsonfor, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  4. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea Dodge has a huge problem with their SCAR or what ever the acronym for Cats is. I have a buddy who works at a dodge dealer in parts and that is a huge known problem of Ram. He sent me a text one time of the pile of Cats off the diesels from just a week. It would fill up the bed of a full size truck, mounded over the rails. Granted it's a one of the mainram dealers in town but this is in charleston SC , hardly a huge city.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Horkn and Hammy like this.
  5. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah, that's get expensive really quickly after warranty is up.

The cat was like $1100 in that ecodiesel that went out while in motor trends garage.

brenndatomu, Hammy and clemsonfor like this.
  6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I think emissions stuff has usually a longer warrenty , maybe federally mandated longer? My last work truck was a 2012 colorado. The cats went out on it out of the normal ,warrenty period but the cats were still under warrenty, it was like 75 or 100k? They went out at about 50k miles.

7. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

8 years and 80k miles

Did the Colorado burn oil?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Horkn, brenndatomu and Hammy like this.
  8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Nothing that was not acceptable. We get rid of them at like 65k. We do oil changes when the truck tells us too. I think that one the oil change light went off around 8,000 miles. By the time oil hang came around it was low on the stick if I remember right but at the minimum mark. I don't think I added oil to it if I remember.
    It was the 5cyl motor.

Wait, now I can't remember. Maybe the Colorado cat was just noisy and vibrating and replaced for that reason. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think that was the 07 Dakota that had the Cats replaced under warranty. It had the v8. Yep I remembered wrong. Yep another dodge. Haha.

Good call thanks for questioning that

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  9. chris

chris

Only cats I have had fail were on a 86 Dodge mini van and Bother in-law's dodge car, do not remember mileage on either. Fuel pumps gas - most of the time it isn't the actual pump that fails but the control module some are all in one some the module is separate. Both of my 99 ford trucks the fuel pump assemblies went south around 100k, o6 f250 module went south at 90k. 04 6.0 HPOP went south at 200k + ( this truck is EGR deleted as well as no cats )

Hammy and clemsonfor like this.
  10. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

The right cat on my sequoia I'd lazy and on its way if not dead at this point. I put in o2 simulators a few years ago to keep the lights off. The same thing guys who cut the cats out on there vehicles use to keep lights off, at least on the newer stuff.

First brand I got worked for 6 months or a year and that was it the second set is really the one I wanted first but they were sold out and weren't sure when they were getting more. It's a toyota performance site. I can't think of it now. All that comes to mind is TRD but that's not it that's what toyota uses. It's like toyota off road racing or something similar or toyota racing solutions? If I feel like it I will look them up.

Hammy and Horkn like this.
  11. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Thought it was 36,000. Either way, I may only wait that long. It has been a good truck!

clemsonfor, Hammy, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.