In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Getting a new truck, compare RAM EcoDiesel vs F150 Platnum??

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Machria, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Machria

Machria

Good point, BUT, I should add I replaced the Tranny in my 02 TWICE, $3k+ each time. I replaced the head at 36k for $3,500, and then installed 2 Helicoils (sp?) in the new head there after... Can you say, 3 year/30,000 warranty SUCKS!!! ;) All three of those were painful, that is $10k of work PLUS before it hit 60k in mileage. That 2022 warranty sure sounds good now doesn't it? ;)

clemsonfor and Barcroftb like this.
  2. Machria

Machria

Well, the discussion goes on, cause I still can buy the Ram Longhorn, VS find another F150 Platinum, but the Black one pictured above is gone already. Sales guy just called me, said he sold it yesterday.... I knoew it, that truck looked to good to sit there very long....

So do I jump on the Longhorn cowboy truck(LOL, it has cowboy stitching on the seats!), or keep searching for another Platinum. Keep the ideas coming guys....!

PS- The Longhorn has an "air" ride, raises and lowers like my Range Rover which is also nice. The Ford is on regular old springs....

Why do the Rams seem to rust out more, the cheap steal? VS the new Aluminum F150?

Interior1.jpg Interior2.jpg

Barcroftb likes this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Exactly what I was thinking. I thought the point of the two turbos was for the smaller one to spool up at low RPM to do away with turbo lag.
    If you want to see something impressive, look up the video from 2011-2012 that Ford made on torture testing the F-150 eco-boost (3.5 I think?) it is a fairly long video, maybe 25 minutes. They beat the CRAP out of it without so much as a hiccup...I was impressed.
    Tommy Boy...hilarious.

Barcroftb, Horkn and Gasifier like this.
  4. bassJAM

bassJAM

Machria, I guess you're not interested in GM? Of the Big 3, I've hated on Chevy for years but now that I've looked into them I'm having a hard time deciding between a Sierra or F150. There's things I really like about both, and a couple things I don't like about both. Right now I'm actually leaning towards a Sierra though, something I would have NEVER admitted to just a year ago.

5. Machria

Machria

I'm listening.....

6. bassJAM

bassJAM

I have heard that there is a slight amount of lag with the 3.5, but that was also the first ecoboost Ford developed. The 2.7 eb that made it's debut in 2015 has very little lag, and the 3.5 is completely redesigned for 2017 so I'm sure it does even better.

clemsonfor, Barcroftb and Horkn like this.
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

What does that warranty cover exactly? If it is one of those "internally lubricated parts" only deals...worthless, and is it engine only, or whole drivetrain, surely not the whole truck?

8. Machria

Machria

The bumper to bumper has 1.5 yeas left.... the 2/2022 cover Engine, tranny and 4wd system only. Which is the main thing. Of course, the air ride could bite ya later on... .but so could stuff on the ford! ;)

I REALLY like the storage box in the bed, and you can still fit full sheets of plywood/sheetrock in there....

2014-Ram-1500-Ecodiesel-rear-bed.jpg Bed1.jpg Plywood1.jpg

Barcroftb and Horkn like this.
  9. bassJAM

bassJAM

Lol, I'll try to list MY pro's and con's for each

F150 Pros:
    Drives smaller than it is (actually "feels" about the same size of my Frontier when driving it)
    Has more sporty handling
    the aluminum won't ever rust
    a Platinum edges out a Denali with amenities
    the BIG sunroof
    2.7 ecoboost, power AND fuel economy
    the rear seats have a ton of room in the crew cab
    console shifter gives premium feel
    Ford didn't require a bailout

F150 Cons:
    Stiffer suspension can feel bouncy at times
    the bed rails are HIGH (I'm 5-8", might not be important to someone taller)
    aluminum is still an unknown long term, I worry about body squeaks after it gets older
    the console shifter takes up a ton of storage room in the center console
    Comes with an open differential and an e-locker that must be manually turned on, worthless IMO except in the most extreme off-road situations

Sierra/Silverado Pros:
    Has a smoother ride
    that American V8 sound!
    6.2 liter is supposedly a MONSTER and gets about the same milage as the 5.3
    5.3 is no slouch
    Bed rails are at a the same level as my lifted Frontier
    I think the Sierra is the best looking truck out there, but don't care for the Silverado styling
    Column shifter, so more room in the center console
    comes with an automatic locker that works at any speed, better for daily driving IMO
    the latest generation came out in 2014, so more time to work out the bugs
    Overall better fuel economy from both engines except when compared against the 2.7 ecoboost
    Denali trim has that magnetic ride control which is suposedly pretty nice
    Active fuel management helps mpg

Sierra/Silverado Cons:
    Feels huge compared to my Frontier
    no passenger rear AC/Heat vents, though it still does have rear floor vents
    only rear cupholders are in door pockets and flip-down armrest (not a big deal unless you have 3 passengers in the back)
    the 6.2 requires premium fuel
    6-speed transmission is sluggish, but I've heard the 8-speed is better which is what the upper trim levels and 6.2 has
    the rear seat flips up, but not down (I store a ton of crap behind the rear seats)
    Active fuel management sometimes causes engine issues
    I've made fun of my friends for a decade whenever they've bought a GM product

10. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news...but that plywood does not fit in that bed!!

11. Gasifier

Gasifier

So if you have the storage boxes in the bed sides how wide is the bed?

Barcroftb and eatonpcat like this.
  12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Barcroftb likes this.
  13. Horkn

Horkn

In real world city driving, maybe they get about the same, but unladen the 3.5 ecoboost will get better mpg on the freeway. Loaded down with a big trailer, the 5.0 might get better mpg, but there bigger ecoboost will tow better than the 5.0. it all depends on all the packages you get.

Now, the 2.7 ecoboost ford destroyed the ecodiesel ram in towing and acceleration tests.

I want to like the rams, especially the Ecodiesel, but bear in mind that the motor is not a Dodge, or a Cummins, or even a Fiat. It's a VM Motori, San Italian design, and not really something is want in my truck. That brand is not known for being very reliable. Do some research and you'll probably be as scared as I am. So that better warranty will more than likely get used a lot. Motor trend had a loaded ecodiesel ram as a year long test vehicle. They liked it, but had some issues, notably the catalytic converters had to be replaced in the 25k they put on it in the year.

That 3.5 ecoboost has a lot more power, both hp and tq than your 260 hp 5.4 in your 02. It's also lighter than that truck on the same cab configuration, so there's the possibility that it's not even broken in.

I'd say get a Ford, try a couple more out.

14. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I was saying it doesn't fit lengthwise...the boxes just cover the wheel wells, Best truck I ever owned was a 91 Ram250. Only owned Fords since, pretty sure the Ram would out work the Ford everyday then, now I have no idea. Get the Ford A plan, so that is what I buy. Dexterday got like 16K off the stucker on his Ecodiesel, you need to talk to him@

15. Horkn

Horkn

Not cheap steel, the issue is cheap paint, primer, and prep. Obviously. Aluminum is the better option for corrosion resistance.

16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Barcroftb and Horkn like this.
  17. Horkn

Horkn

There's no lag on the 3.5 ecoboost. There's no lag on any of the ecoboost motors from what I've seen. Turbo tech has come a long way, especially with the vane tech and direct injection.

brenndatomu likes this.
  18. Horkn

Horkn

That lag, wasn't from the motor. It was from the tranny. That said, there was a reflash that corrected some minor running issues on the first ecoboost 3.5's. that was a couple of years ago, and wouldn't be on the 2015.

brenndatomu and Gasifier like this.
  19. Horkn

Horkn

That warranty probably doesn't cover the emissions or exhaust system though. I'd be leery.
    That, and the us government hates diesels. So despite it running well, the government will probably issue a recall and pizz you off eventually. Lol

20. Horkn

Horkn

Now you have me wondering about the tranny in that ram. The Ecodiesel has great torque, so in typical Chrysler fashion, I'd be leery about the tranny holding up.
    Edit..
    Amazingly, the ecodiesel didn't have a house Chrysler tranny, and has a ZF 8 spd.

That's a good tranny. No concerns there.

Barcroftb and Chvymn99 like this.