In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Getting a grip on your stripped out hex head bolts on your pellet stove!

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by don2222, May 23, 2019.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    My trick of the day was just to remove this bolt on the shroud just to get the stove in the door!
    The round head was already stripped in the sunk in head so the ratchet and the socket could not cut the mustard and crack that bolt even with wire wheeling and spray PB Blaster lube on it!
    So I pulled out the Dremel and installed the small cutting wheel on it and cut a flat spot on each side to get a grip with the vise grips and bingo!
    See Pics
    Pic 1 - cut the flats
    Pic 2 - attach the locking pliers
    Pic 3 - push and turn and heat a crack - Bingo
    Pic 4 - put the ratchet and hex head socket in and it is working
    Pic 5 - just keep turning
    Pic 6 - Bingo - It is out!!!
    Simple as that???

Attached Files:

BHags, Scout80 and mark.nowak like this.
  2. imacman

imacman

Good one Don.

don2222 and Scout80 like this.
  3. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

The small button head Allen screws are nice looking but can be a pain for sure once the internal Hex goes away.

Good one Don.
    I had one a while back on another job and simply dropped a hex head nut down over the button head and zapped it with the wire welder down through the nut.

The was not enough room to get a grinder in the area and do much.

These tricks are so helpful when stuff will not come apart.

Lousyweather likes this.
  4. don2222

don2222

Great Idea Snowy! Thanks for sharing that! I will remember that one too. :)

5. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

I need a small wire welder......

imacman likes this.
  6. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

I own a Millermatic 250... PRETTY GOOD all around machine for home/small shop usage.

7. don2222

don2222

LW
    It may be a bit more in cost but the new inverter multi-processor welders with the auto presets that automatically calculate the wire speed, voltage and amp settings so you only have to measure and enter the Guage of the metal your are welding is the only way to go for me! Not only does it save time but it is just easier to come up to speed to make good welds!

OmniPro™ 220 Industrial Multiprocess Welder with 120/240 Volt Input
    I am no expert but just learned to cut and weld over the summer and for short money, I went with Orange
    The big mult-Processor Vulcan Omni-Pro welder and Simandra 5200DX for all our Plasma Cutting and a 14” Rigid Abraision Cutter for the chops on the cheap!

My trainer showed me how to make an indestructible bench coffee mug holder Using a 3” steel car exhaust pipe too!

This setup just works great for slicing off the bottom of a burnpot where the Igniter burned a big hole and welding on a heavier bottom so it will really last long! See 3rd to last pic

Attached Files: