In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Getting a cord delivered tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by BCB, Oct 18, 2014.

1. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

Near me, Huntington, Long Island, NY there are a lot of "seasoned firewood" sellers. Most charge $200 to $400 for a full cord of "seasond" wood that fits in their pickup. The one or two legit dealers charge around $500 for a "one year seasoned" cord. If you pay a stacking fee ($50) they will guarantee the measure. The largest dealer near me is $189 for one year seasoned face cord which he defines as 4' x 8' x 18" delivered within 20 miles of his yard M to F, extra charges on weekends.

Glad I can scrounge, those prices would kill me.

KaptJaq

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    raybonz likes this.
  2. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

Do you realize that is about $0.50 a split? That is what they charge at gas stations and supermarkets around here. I always valued my stacks at their heating oil dollar equivalant, you just gave me a whole new measure of my wealth. ;)

KaptJaq

BCB and raybonz like this.
  3. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Interesting, what do you value a full cord of wood at?

That rack of wood weighs 200-250#'s. Each split weigh4-5#'s each. If you think this is the same thing you are buying at a gas station you are sadly mistaken. That is 1/6th of a face cord as the rack is 26 x 30". Multiplied out that is a $150 face cord which is not unreasonable for high quality oak in small quantities and not the scraps you buy at gas stations.

Most will have a hard time getting that rack in the back of a small sedan.

raybonz likes this.
  4. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

You cannot get a full cord of wood in a conventional pickup.

It is possible in a heavy duty 3/4 ton with side racks that go all the way to the top of the cab. The wood must be stacked even with the cab and the taper can't start until the last rank before the tailgate.

raybonz likes this.
  5. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

At the current price of oil on a btu basis for a full cord of white oak(128cf stacked, 88.5cf of wood) the value is $605.

At $25 for 1/6 of a face cord that is just shy of $500 a cord. I am sure it is better quality than the gas station bundles but I was just making a light hearted comment on what my wood was worth. No offense was meant.

Everybody here knows how big and heavy a full cord of wood is. We all know it will not fit in a pickup. The pickup was a reference to the fact that the customer was being shorted on the delivery.

KaptJaq

6. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

OK, I understand.

I get a little wound up if anyone infers I would short someone on firewood. I take great pride in NEVER doing that.

raybonz likes this.