In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Genealogy anyone?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by wildwest, Aug 5, 2014.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Yes, that might have been it, that and it was written sideways after the initial name, I printed it and turned it crooked and boom, plain as day since out lines crossed many times I recognized the name! But looking at it like we all read it appeared to be another name. That and the language barrier combined with women not taught to read or write back then, it was highly dependent on the census taker's native language to interpret the name and they usually spelled it in their tongue, such as Jean would be spelled Jeanne by the census taker.

I placed an ad in the Berks PA craigslist to pay per page to copy and mail me documents (OMG I had no idea it would cost $200 :eek:), a nice kid responded, his mother worked there! Anyway one was a will written in OLD german. German's these days cannot read it nor translate it. Of all things I had a very elderly neighbor from Germany (she was smuggled out during the Holocaust ) and she did it for me :) Except that Henry was not a match......

I was into calligraphy heavily when I was younger, it was fun. My father had impeccable cursive, I always admired it and strove to emulate.

Eric Wanderweg likes this.
  2. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

That's amazing you were able to get it translated anyway. Yep older German can be very tricky. There were (and still are) so many regional dialects that many times people from one region cannot understand people in another region. Today there is a standard German which is more or less universally understood by all people in German-speaking territories, but that wasn't the case 200-300+ years ago. So the German heritage you have goes back to colonial times?

wildwest likes this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I could not find proof I belonged to that line :confused: But a lot in it matches. YES, Colonial times!! OMG, please tell me what that means!!! I have a biography where my GGgrandfather (1834-1929) states his grandfather was the proginerator and came during the "Colonial Times". Far out I cannot believe you said that, I posted the question here and many many other genealogy message boards over the years. No answer.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::drool::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Eric Wanderweg likes this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

My family is interesting, many years between generations compared to new generations every 16-22 years. Only 5 in Colorado from 1860-1970 :eek:

JackHammer and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  5. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Colonial times: Back before the United States was the United States. When "we" were just a colony of subjects ruled by King George, who would just assume hang us for cutting down one of his white pine trees or tax us to death :) That's awesome you were able to get back that far! I've heard plenty of stories in my family that go pretty far back, but unfortunately most can't be proven.

wildwest likes this.
  6. JackHammer

JackHammer

Yeah, I think genetic testing is a little too far for a lot of people, myself included.

wildwest and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  7. don2222

don2222

The LDS church does genealogy tried and true for all their members and everyone else. There is never a charge, all free. In fact they have teams in Utah that do genealogy full time so that is how they got my line back so far. The European medieval team does a terrific job!

wildwest likes this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I could not fill the vial with saliva when I wanted to get it done. Not sure what to say, I get several blood tests every year, assisted in many many many veterinary surgeries, cleaned up more cat/dog/farm crap, urine, vomit than most here in a lifetime, loved to have my hands in the dirt gardening regardless of what manure I might be using. But filling a vial with saliva is a no go. If it was a cheek swab like I did on a dog I had (rest in peace sweet Blackie) I would have done it no problem. That said with keeping politics out of it, after all we learned over the last year I would not take it now for other reasons beyond the large vial of saliva (shivers & gag reflex) on the vial.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    JackHammer and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  9. JackHammer

JackHammer

What is the story with the pine trees?

Yeah, wanna know something funny? King George was taxing us like 1 or 2%. There was no income, business, or sales tax. At the time it was the sugar tax which gave way to the whiskey rebellion and the stamp tax for government documentation.
    If you add up modern taxation including sales, income, business/corporate, licensing and everything else, I think you get closer to 50% in America today. Inflation is an indirect tax too but the grubment doesn't like us to know about that one.
    :makeitrain"

10. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

We are cut from the same cloth my friend :yes:
    So, the white pines. That's the ENTIRE reason colonists were first sent here from England in the 1600s. It all had to do with harvesting the large old growth pines for ship masts for the British Navy. In Europe at the time there was a blockade against England from getting large pines from the Baltic states (Modern day Latvia, Estonia, etc) England had deforested all their large growth pines centuries prior and were dependent on imported timber. So King George sent colonists here to obtain the pines for ship masts. He decreed every single white pine in such and such size range belonged to him personally, for the royal navy and anyone here caught felling one would be punished.

wildwest and JackHammer like this.
  11. JackHammer

JackHammer

Seriously! Neat story, I had never heard that. There is a colonial flag with a pine. Maybe they are related.

12. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I just learned about this not too long ago myself.
    The roots of the United States of America are in our trees.
    Yes, the colonial pine flag is symbolic of that entire period. The colonists felt that a king living thousands of miles away was no more entitled to these trees than they were, living right there. The stamp act, Boston tea party, and massacre get all the hype but the pine tree was just as paramount in the birth of our nation.

JackHammer likes this.
  13. chris

chris

Not mention the forcible induction into British navy/army of colonists.

14. JackHammer

JackHammer

I just checked and a distant cousin had traced my line back to Elemund King of the Gepids 490–548.
    I'M ROYALTY!!!!!!!! :rofl: :lol:

... now if only I knew how to find my Gepids...

Eckie, Eric Wanderweg and wildwest like this.
  15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks Don, I will look into it for sure! I don't have gedcoms after my computer died a year or two ago, but it's easy to create one from my ancestry tree. Question, the gedcom I used in the past did not include proving documents, do I need those sent too?
    Thank you Eric, I was hoping for a magical narrowing of those years :rofl: :lol:.BUT, I know he came "during the Colonial Days", and had a son in 1784, add in guessing life expectancy back then I come back to 1740 at the earliest (thus the 1750 date I used here). Amazing history on the White Pine I did not know, thanks!!!

16. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

From the time of the Mayflower's arrival on November 9th, 1620 to July 4th, 1776 when we declared independence :)

wildwest likes this.
  17. Eckie

Eckie

Congratulations!...I think..? What's a Gepid?

wildwest likes this.
  18. JackHammer

JackHammer

Lol. You got me. I have no idea.

There were some Scottish royalty in the line too but I think it was around the time Braveheart (the movie) took place. I need to make sure my peeps were on the good side before I brag about being Scottish royalty. :whistle:

Eckie and wildwest like this.
  19. don2222

don2222

Please attach a pic of the proof. - LOL
    Elemund - Wikipedia

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    JackHammer and wildwest like this.
  20. don2222

don2222

Hi WW
    No docs needed, they check the dates with the dates in their pedigree tree for validation.
    Good question. :)

wildwest likes this.