In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Genealogy anyone?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by wildwest, Aug 5, 2014.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Flamestead likes this.
  2. Flamestead

Flamestead

I’m trying to reconcile the times in the article with this presentation I heard a couple of years ago. https://www.icar.org/Documents/Auckland-2018/0830 Lisa Matisoo-Smith.pdf
    On the 3rd slide the dates of possible ocean arrival are much much more recent than 17,000 years ago. It could be they traced his DNA back 17,000 years. And, an ancestor likely came across the S Pacific. Cool stuff, regardless!

wildwest likes this.
  3. badbob

badbob

interesting,possibly,link does not work.

wildwest likes this.
  4. badbob

badbob

Anyway, why does nobody discuss the Chinese that were here on the west cost of USA many years ago?Well proven.Anyway,I found out tonight my sister has my granddads old VFW WW!! books, and she is giving them to me, although I have a later? possibly newer series. i am excited,but do not think I can get up there for a while. I knw this has nothing to do with genealogy, but you guys/gals already ruined that.

5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

This is either the same or a similar story on the same man in Montana, hope it opens :). Blackfeet man's DNA oldest found in Americas, testing company says

:eek: Books like the ones he read and kept or........................his personal journals/letters !?!

badbob likes this.
  6. badbob

badbob

wildwest likes this.
  7. JackHammer

JackHammer

My family has a lot of historical records and I am grateful to have them.
    I have traced two lines back to the revolution where my ancestors fought in the war. Many also fought in the civil war. The line came from New York down through PA, WV, OH over to IN along with the expansion west.

Anyone a member of SAR or other genealogical clubs?

wildwest and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  8. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

My mother did a lot of genealogical research in her younger days. On her father's side they all immigrated here from Germany in between WWI an WWII. Some came from the Rhineland of Germany along the French border, others came from the east of Germany in what is now Poland. My maternal grandmother's father was French Canadian, and her mother was a mix of Scotch-Irish/English and came from Oklahoma. My father's side is mostly German, with my last name coming from Bavaria (when I was in Munich I came across my last name on a bottle of mustard in a grocery store, spelled Schamel with one "L" which was the original spelling) In the late 1800s there was an enormous exodus from all over Germany with these people settling in Wisconsin, which to this day has a strong German presence and culture. So some of my ancestors on my father's side came from Bavaria, while others came from Pomerania and other areas in Germany. My father's father could trace all his ancestors back to Germany, while his mother was half German, half English. The English side of my paternal grandmother's lineage could be traced back to colonial New England. One day I'd like to do a DNA test to see what comes up. My mother got hers done a couple years ago and found some interesting things. Firstly, with her father being the son of German immigrants and her mother being French Canadian/U.K. , the results showed that she was actually 75% UK, the rest being central Europe-Germany/France, but also showed Scandinavian DNA, Eastern European and a little Ashkenazi Jewish heritage. The Scandinavian DNA would make sense considering a lot of the French immigration to Canada in the late 1600s came from the north of France-Normandy region which was named for the Norsemen that settled there during the Viking age, eventually becoming the Norman French. I think anyone could spend a lifetime going down different family lines researching their roots and never run out of surprises. When you look at the DNA side of things the most obvious thing to me is there is no "pure" anything. People have been migrating and mixing since pre-history and it's a very complex and interesting story how we all came to be.

wildwest and JackHammer like this.
  9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Amazing! I worked hard on mine for a couple decades, unfortunately no history to go on other than the last few generations. That said I made it back to the 1750's. Beyond that, my surname is the German equivalent of Smith or Jones in the USA, and the spelling variations are endless. I'm happy you know so much about your ancestors and also envious LOL. The interesting thing I found is that almost every line I followed back that far regardless of what line all led back to PA at some point. They were all prior to Ellis Island, except my husbands GGrandfather, but still, so many from PA, interesting!

Eric Wanderweg likes this.
  10. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I’m lucky that my mother dedicated so much time to it 30 years ago, and she looked on her side and my father’s. Also my paternal grandfather’s brother dug very deep into it, back to the late 1700s in Germany. He made a short book of family trees with names, tracing back every single line he could. I still have a copy of it to which I’m grateful for. Unfortunately a lot of the old church records were lost in the war years, but it’s pretty comprehensive regardless. That’s interesting you have roots in Pennsylvania. From what I understand that’s where the first wave of German immigrants settled going back to the late 18th and early 19th century, and it’s that first migration that became the “Pennsylvania Dutch”. I’m impressed you were able to get all the way back to the 1750s as well.

wildwest likes this.
  11. don2222

don2222

Hello
    I have a line going back to the 7 century BC
    624 BC - Cyprus 1 - King of Prussia
    This has been verified by the LDS church and is in their ancestral file.
    The whole tree can be seen here
    Family Tree • FamilySearch
    Noone does genealogy better than the LDS and they do it for everyone not just their members!
    Does anyone go back farther than that?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    wildwest likes this.
  12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Hi Don :)

7th century BC o_O:bug::jaw:

13. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    You are very fortunate to be able to trace back that far. For most people, the 1600s and 1700s are as far back as you will get. The working class were not charted or kept track of - only royalty or large land owners who had to prove linage for titles and property.

14. JackHammer

JackHammer

I am pretty sure I am a descendent of Adam and Eve. :cool: But, getting the documentation verified has been a pain.

One line my family was able to trace back to the pilgrims but once things go back to the old world, things tend to be lost.

wildwest, Eckie and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  15. don2222

don2222

I was very fortunate that I did it at a younger age (early 40’s back in 1994) when my family elders were still around and I got hooked up with the Mormons who preach genealogy to their members and if they all do it then that is how it is kept up! They do genealogy for everyone not just their members. So when I was done with what I could do with my ancestors, I sent it in the gedcom format on 3-1/4” floppy disks to their headquarters in Utah to their full time staff. It took a few years, but they merged it into their file and of course there is a lot more!! Actually they added even more in the last few years so it goes back so far!!
    It is hard to go back before the 1600’s because you have to find a link to the old country. My link is Mary Perkins who’s name is on the plaque outside the witches museum in Salem MA!
    She was convicted of being a witch and sent to prison for 3 years and later released! Her life was spared because she is married to Thomas Bradbury who came of from England and was a very prominent man on the ship and in the town government! So the link back to the UK was a good one and that is how it got back so far. :)

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    wildwest likes this.
  16. Eckie

Eckie

JackHammer, surely you have all the documentation you need....

wildwest and JackHammer like this.
  17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

That would be me WW, 1750ish is my brick wall. That said I have a map from earlier that identifies two mills in the the township. My progenitor and the two Meyer's that owned the mills back then all lead back to a prominent well documented family and JackHammer, I cannot proof it :confused: One non proof is I have records of my progenitor born Mar 6, the missing Henry in the well documented family that have no idea what happened to their Henry is Mar 9. Just hard to say, with the elaborate script used back then, I actually solved a hundreds of years old mystery for man in the same township stuck on land willed from one ancestor to the other. IT WAS THE SCRIPT!! I wish I could remember, like an elaborate what appeared to be an S but was actually a B, and it was easily provable :handshake:. But, I'm still where I was.
    That's amazing Don!! My fantasy is to take a trip to Berks Pa to research my line, and also Provo Utah. But, for now I use the online versions. Family Search (LDS online version) has been very helpful, but it's a throw up if he might be listed as Henry, Henrich, Heinrich as well as Myer, Myers, Meyer, Meyers, Meir and so on, I've even seen him documented as Mayer...... :rofl: :lol: on the 3.25" floppy, that takes me back in time :) May I asked if that service costs? I sure would like to back further on my line. I have current back to 1784 with good detail.

18. JackHammer

JackHammer

I am assuming you have gone through the various census and cort records from around that time.... that gave me a lot of info.
    I found if I was able to put together 3 or 4 generations, a distant cousin had already posted a lot more somewhere else. One grandparent of mine was adopted so that has no leads except if i went through genetic testing.

wildwest likes this.
  19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you, I exhausted every source I could find, census (the early ones are difficult, they only state male/female over 26 and male/female under 26, and the same under 5 y/o) so can't proof my 1784 Henry on those (sorry to confuse you, I was talking about his father above, another Henry Meyer). I also had some luck on Land Records at the National Archives, I think that's where I found the early Township map. I also found some tidbits & clues on church records. Idk, maybe I can hire a private service if I win the lottery? :rofl: :lol: (we rarely buy a lottery ticket). My father gave me a dna test kit for my Birthday years ago, but I wasn't able to fill the vial (psychological thing, it still makes me choke up to think about it :loco: :crazy: ).

20. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Yes, the script back then was totally different, and to make matters worse spelling was more fluid depending on the author's personal preference. To your S/B mixup, could this be what you're referring to?
    ß - Wikipedia
    Older archaic English sometimes used this Eszett symbol in place of a double S sound. It resembles a capital letter B. Modern German still utilizes it but it's being phased out.

JackHammer and wildwest like this.