In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Genealogy anyone?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by wildwest, Aug 5, 2014.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I have my most important line back to 1784 in Berks PA.

Any links Myers/Moyers/Meyers in Maidencreek, Berks PA?

I am on ancestry so I can do some lookups if someone needs help with anything.

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe

I haven't had anything to do with the research but my mother's side of the family has traced our lineage back to around 1550 (don't recall the exact date) in Scandinavia. 20 years ago they had a hardbound book printed with the entire line. It's brought to the family reunion every year for everyone to look through. I love looking through that book. There are family crests, painted portraits of family members and then photos starting in the late 1800's.

The surname back then was Ostrander. When they came to the "New World" (Canada) in the late 1600's they added an "H" and made it Hostrander. That's my late grandmother's last name.

Fascinating stuff!

3. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

Im a Myers but no relatives in the Berks, Pa area from what i know. Far as i've checked my family has been in this area (SJ) since the 1800's

4. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

When I first read the title of the thread I thought who the hell wants to talk about that? :eek: Then I realized what it really meant. :whistle:

5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

ahaha, nice pun!

Woodwidow likes this.
  6. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

I was very interested in my lineage when I was younger, well before the internet. My father gave me the family bible for his side of the family, that's where records were kept on his family. I didn't have to do much research on his side, it was all right there. My great great grandfather was in the civil war for the north. He survived the war and was buried at the family plot, he died from being old (good for him) .

I could write a short story here but he was the most interesting to me from what I could find out, that's why I chose him.
    Good thread

7. lukem

lukem

My great grandfather came over on the boat from Scotland to work in the coal mines. My grandmother traced my family tree back to the 1500's. The church kept REALLY good records over there.

Nobody has bothered to trace my maternal side...but same deal...great grandfather came over from Germany.

8. BrianK

BrianK

I've traced my ancestors back to 1685 in Bavaria. Johann Georg Friedrich Kapp came from Bavaria to the US on the Pennsylvania Merchant in 1732 and they settled in Berks Co., PA. My great great great great great grandfather Andrew Kopp (they changed the spelling during his generation) was a well regarded gun smith, Birth: 13 Oct 1781, Stouchsburg, Berks Co., PA, Death: 1875, Frankstown Twp., Blair Co., PA.

No Myers/Moyers/Meyers in our family tree though.

9. nate

nate Banned

burndatwood, Woodwidow and wildwest like this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Woodwidow likes this.
  11. nate

nate Banned

Almost all my family is in Maine other than the few cousins, aunts/uncles, etc that moved away.. .some in Canada, a few in Connecticut and then a random few all over.
    I joined up with the Air Force when I got done high school and ended up here in AK. Got injured, they said I was useless to them after almost 12 years so I became a disabled vet and decided to stay here in AK.
    I like AK, though being so far from everyone isn't always fun. I have thought about selling it all and moving back.

burndatwood, Woodwidow and wildwest like this.
  12. cnice_37

cnice_37

OK... so how do you actually do the lineage when the information that you know is scarce? I only have information on my grandparents, so my family history is minimal.

13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

The easiest place to start might be with the US Federal Census, you can do it online. They are open up to 1940 now, so If your grandparents were born before then, thats how I would start. The 1940 Census is also free to search for now! I think the 1880 is still free too. Once you find them initially, you will find one clue after another to continue backwards. public service announcement, it can become addicting :)

Let me know if I can help.

papadave, Woodwidow and cnice_37 like this.
  14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Burning curiosity, please tell me if you found anything, or pm me names and dates so I can look for you :)

papadave and Woodwidow like this.
  15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I know a fellow who traced back and found his dad was from Poland and his mother from China. I guess that makes him a poland-china. (Perhaps you have to be a farmer to appreciate that one.)

wildwest and Woodwidow like this.
  16. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

Mines common.....1850 potato famine in Ireland......threatened with the draft into the English army, my forebear hired himself out as an indentured servant in the US, to work on a farm for seven years about 15 miles from here...haven't moved far.......as far as genealogy in Ireland is concerned...its bad......poor records, etc

17. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I just found this thread. How could I have missed it!!! My consuming hobby is genealogy. I can glaze the eyes of anyone in about 20 mins of talking about family research but I have also been known to get people hooked on it as well. My mother got me started on it in the 90s. She was making trips to Salt Lake City to the big library there and now does most of her research on-line. As she was researching my family, I started researching Campinspecter's family and although I haven't found a crossing link, it is interesting to find that the two family lived at one time only 20 miles apart in Suffolk, England. For us in North America, 20 miles is right next door but in that time period it might as well as been 200 miles. I know the first time I found that the family had moved to another town, I got quite excited until I realized it was only a 1/2 mile down the road.

With my research, I found out a lot about history that I didn't know before. Although history in school wasn't as interesting as some other subjects, it is now quite helpful to know what happened in the time period you are looking for family. It was probably these events such as the 1850 potato famine in Ireland that Lousyweather mentioned and the Civil War in the US as My IS Heats my Home mentioned that got our families displaced or moving to another country. As any researcher will tell you, you spend a lot of time looking for where they didn't live, when they weren't born, who they didn't marry but when you find a person and their history, it is like striking gold. Eureka is still a very good word for the excitement generated by the find.

No Myers/Moyers/Meyers in Maidencreek, Berks PA links in any of the trees I have researched so far.

There are lots of free sites available for researching but a subscription to Ancestry.com is really worth it if you really want to research a lot in a short time.

Does anyone want me to post links for Canadian and UK resources? As Wildwest so kindly offered, I also don't mind helping someone out if they are interested in looking up family.

This is exciting finding other researchers!!!

18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I could use a chuckle but I am not farmer, pls share?
    I too have Ireland immigrants in one of my direct lines. The ones I knew (long since passed) were quite frugal!

papadave likes this.
  19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

WoodWidow, this is exciting! I too can glaze eyes over...... "Hi My Name Is WildWest, I am addicted to Genealogy" ;)
    Are you still on ancestry? If so we could pm to connect there. You took the words out of my mouth with history. I know more now than I did earning high grades in school!

Any idea why my male proginator would have emmigrated from Germany in "the colonial days"? I assume thats 1680- mid 1700s? No evidence of french heugonots.

Pleasure to share our hobbies!

20. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

A poland-china is a type of pig!

Nick&Lissa and wildwest like this.