In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday
  1. Skier76

    Skier76

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    17,018
    Location:
    CT and SoVT
    This is basically the insert version of the GC60; also the same as the Enviro M55 or M55 insert.

    I'm getting a clunk every so often this year. The stove was installed last season and no such noise. I can't pinpoint the exact location of the noise. I can't tell if it's the auger or the agitator. I'm leaning towards the auger since it clean the burnpot really well with each cleaning. I pulled the stove out of the fireplace a few days ago. Let me say, those service rails are money well spent. I pulled out most of the pellets and looked at the auger. Everything looked good. Not random metal, fasteners or chunks of wood. Auger motor looked good and the locking mechanism/collar that connects the motor to the auger was good an tight.

    Any thoughts? Maybe just long pellets being broken by the auger when feeding?
     
    ivanhoe likes this.
  2. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,313
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    I'd lean towards the auger too. Most likely the bushing is getting dry and the clunk is when the motor loads up and then the auger releases. The auger motor then shocks back towards the isolator(clear tube over a bracket) on the bushing plate. Causing the clunk......
     
    ivanhoe likes this.
  3. Skier76

    Skier76

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    17,018
    Location:
    CT and SoVT
    Should the bushing be lubricated?
     
    ivanhoe and jtakeman like this.
  4. IHATEPROPANE

    IHATEPROPANE

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,678
    Likes Received:
    19,110
    What pellets are you burning?
     
    Skier76 and ivanhoe like this.
  5. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,313
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    Hard to get any in it with out pulling the auger assemble. You could try? No harm in trying it. Empty the hopper and suck out all the fines. Put a few drops between the auger shaft and the lower bushing. Might get you through until you can pull the unit out.

    A friend soaked his will a bunch of oil and started the stove(no pellets) to cycle with the oil on the area. Then cleaned all the oil he could get out of the hopper. Filled with pellets and its been quite ever since. I've never done it and to me its the rust and crud that gets in the lower bushing that needs to be cleaned out before oiling to really make a difference. Might be worth a shot?? But I'm a bit skeptical!!
     
    Skier76, ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  6. krooser

    krooser

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    924
    Likes Received:
    2,846
    Location:
    Waupaca, WI
    My St Croix developed a similar 'clunk' last season... despite all my efforts at disassembling the auger, lubing it and such it persists. I've learned to live with it... for now.
     
  7. Skier76

    Skier76

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    17,018
    Location:
    CT and SoVT
    Thanks guys. It may be a wait and see type of situation. I'm still shoulder burning if you will. I'm keeping the stove at "3" (on a scale of 5) in the evenings and overnight if it's cool enough. During the day, I'll drop it down to "2".

    I'm burning the Pres To Logs hardwoods this year. New pellet to me.
     
    ivanhoe likes this.
  8. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,313
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    If the clunk sound showed up after starting the PTL's, Maybe try going back(if you have any left) to the previous pellet that didn't clunk?
     
    ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  9. Skier76

    Skier76

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    17,018
    Location:
    CT and SoVT
    Not a bad idea! I do have a bag of AWF softies left...but I want to save those for the real cold!

    It seems to not be clunking now? Go figure. I'll be keeping an eye on it.
     
    ivanhoe, IHATEPROPANE and jtakeman like this.
  10. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    Only clunks I ever heard were due to a long pellet or two getting snapped in half by the auger, or the agitator on my 10-cpm riding up & falling on some pellets.
     
    ivanhoe, wildwest and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  11. Skier76

    Skier76

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    17,018
    Location:
    CT and SoVT
    Maybe it is just the pellets. It doesn't seem to be doing it as much as before. But I'll keep giving it a listen.

    I have the stove hooked up to a wifi t-stat so it's probably reading my posts here and just messing with me...
     
    ivanhoe, imacman, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  12. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,666
    Likes Received:
    144,673
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    :rofl: :lol:
     
    Skier76 and ivanhoe like this.