In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gardening Gardening

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by mattjm1017, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    I love squash and wish we could grow it here but its to cold. Thats an awesome haul! you should be proud. Also it wasnt lost on me the picture of firewood and squash in the same shot, well done. :thumbs:

XXL and HarvestMan like this.
  2. wellin

wellin

I love gardening.I have always found gardening to be a relief and stress buster from the everyday monotony of life.Right now since it is winter I cannot do much. But once when the winter is done I am thinking of building a garden shed so that I could store all the gardening tools inside.I am tired of keeping them in the garage where it gets easily misplaced.Has anyone of you ever build a garden shed?What kind of roofing would be best.I have already shortlisted some from this site ( Residential Roofing Services - Replacement & Repair Oakville | ). But I am not sure about which one to choose. I am looking for something that is not too expensive and will last for a long time.

XXL, Chvymn99 and Pallet Pete like this.
  3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Chvymn99 and Woodwidow like this.
  4. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Thanks Eric VW wellin , are you from Vancouver, BC or Vancouver, Washington?

Chvymn99, campinspecter and Eric VW like this.
  5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I ordered some ditch lilies ( I grew up calling then wild tiger lilies), they came sooner than I realized. The weather hopefully will be warm enough to put them in the ground in May, but I have them now. I put them in these buckets. Where should I put them til May? I keep the house at 75*+ during waking hours, kinda warm for them, but the "enclosed" porch gets to or below freezing many nights (too heavy to move in and out every day). I was thinking about the bathtub in the old bathroom that we do not use anymore, but no window or sunlight there. Which would you choose?

Attached Files:

6. billb3

billb3

If they haven't sprouted they should go on the porch in some potting soil, damp but not wet so the roots don't desiccate nor rot. Try to reproduce the soil temp they should be in. I'd plant them as soon as you can work the soil. I wouldn't wait. (as long as they haven't started coming up ) They grow like weeds here, in fact we throw them out as they constantly come up where not wanted. The deer love the new shoots in Spring too.
    Even if they sprouted I'd still plant them as soon as you can dig the soil and just put a blanket or mulch or something over the green sprouts to stop them from freezing if you think they're up too soon. The wild ones here are pretty hardy.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    JustWood and wildwest like this.
  7. Firebroad

Firebroad

+2 billb3.
    These are the toughest of daylillies. If you have some leaves or pine needles, you can put several inches on top of them to keep them from drying out too much before you get them into the ground.
    billb3, I am surprised the deer bother them. They must get pretty hungry up there!

wildwest likes this.
  8. XXL

XXL

Stores like Home Depot and TSC sell pretty decent garden shed and shed kits. I would look for one with a steeper roof pitch to help shed snow and reduce snow load weight.

wildwest likes this.
  9. billb3

billb3

They mow down the tender young Spring shoots. Once the plants get about 6 inches tall or so and more they must be too bitter.

Firebroad and wildwest like this.
  10. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Day lilies are actually quite edible! Real lilies are poisonous so know the difference! Roots, flower buds, tender shoots, and flowers are all edible on day lilies. I tried the flower and buds and was pleasantly surprised until my wife caught me. As others said cover moisten cool. You could even use some noodles if you have any chainsaw chip scraps if you have any around.

Firebroad and wildwest like this.
  11. Firebroad

Firebroad

Mmmm....daylilies and noodles....:beerbbq::rofl: :lol:

Greenstick likes this.
  12. XXL

XXL

Stores like Home Depot and TSC sell pretty decent garden shed and shed kits. I would look for one with a steeper roof pitch to help shed snow and reduce snow load weight.

I don't know why this didn't reply to your post the first time.

13. M2theB

M2theB

IMG_0826.JPG Days like today are good to remember while working in the garden, vice versa. I'd like to stand by the garden today.

Firebroad and Chvymn99 like this.
  14. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Getting ready for St. Patrick's Day...

Attached Files:

M2theB and billb3 like this.
  15. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Holy crap, seed garlic is expensive! I just save some of the crop for seed.

M2theB and Chvymn99 like this.
  16. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Garden picture from a couple weeks ago, was down to a few inches till this last storm

Attached Files:

papadave, M2theB and Chvymn99 like this.
  17. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Yea, I've never done spring garlic.... I figured I'd splurge and try it... I'm kinda of excited about them purple/blue potatoes... ought to be interesting table conversation...:D

18. M2theB

M2theB

We plant ours in November, after the gardens been totally cleaned and all the pumpkin stuff is out. And I always notice it coming up while doing the Easter eggs.

There's a small farm on the other side of town I get from. For about $12 I can plant about 120 cloves. Way more than I need or use, but I like to give it away too.

Chvymn99 likes this.
  19. M2theB

M2theB

IMG_2956.JPG

I'm glad to see some gardenites here also. Except for my real life, garden and wood are my main distractions.

20. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

Nice one! How'd it weigh out?

papadave likes this.