In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gardening Gardening

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by mattjm1017, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Maybe after I get back from the Ohio GTG. I’ll have try that recipe… Looks good…

2. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

It is the same one as the habanero jelly I posted Chvymn99, but I let it set a little longer in the water bath on a hard boil so it doesn’t really set up. Can’t say for sure on the time, because I am usually busy doing other things if not being too precise, but likely around 20 minutes versus the standard 10 for a firmer jelly.

Chazsbetterhalf and Chvymn99 like this.
  3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Turned them off about 7 this morning. The we’re still a bit moist last night at 7. So 21 hours they were on.

E2916D79-C7B5-473E-B5D2-1BEB79D05A2C.jpeg A55CCD6B-A112-4BF1-B9E6-800793261EDB.jpeg

4. billb3

billb3

It's taken a little more than 24 hours here ( I have the same dehydrator) but it can also be quite humid here. I did habaneros inside the house once. The smell was unbearable. Same with the garage but I don't sleep in the garage.
    I've tried drying peppers on strings and it's just plain too humid most of the time. Half of them molded. Garlic I have better luck with. Some day I might configure a string over the wood stove.

M2theB, Chvymn99 and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  5. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

yea, did mine in garage. Definitely a pepper smell in the garage. Yea that dehydrator has been around for a while. Some the plastic is getting brittle, gotta be careful handling it while cleaning them…

M2theB, billb3 and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  6. billb3

billb3

Habanadas - one pound 14 ounces. Second pick, there are still more green ones.
    IMG_1536.JPG

Some pepper jelly
    This was my first batch to end up with a "short jar" . Usually I always have a short jar every batch to put in the fridge or give away to use soon.
    IMG_1532.JPG
    The recipe is supposed to yield seven half-pints, but I've been getting eight and a quarter pretty consistent.

7. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Lazy gardening hack: allow some of your lettuce to bolt and go to seed in the late spring, and it will self-seed and come back in the fall :thumbs:
    3845DE2E-06BD-497D-A752-5EE760B9EBCE.jpeg

8. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Planted some popcorn this year. I was late getting it in the ground, but it came up good. Some stalks over 8’!!
    Picked and husked about 5 bushels today. We will have to see how it dries out. 92AA7B28-903F-4FDB-90C8-24E70E720956.jpeg 01D40997-F60A-4E4C-A1A5-F897920E0930.jpeg

9. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

C3787DB7-8CBA-47E9-8086-06E80CF32556.jpeg
    Some of our carrots picked yesterday. These are really good and sweet. Some got pretty big despite our dry weather this summer.

10. M2theB

M2theB

I’ve got the same dehydrator and got it specially because I’d loose so many cayenne to rot trying to hang the or lay them out on a screen.

Once dried, they all go into the Cuisinart and then into little glass shaker jars.
    Both operations are garage based.

11. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Nice carrots. Some of mine are big but I don't have that many this year.

12. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

I used to thin them pretty heavily, but now I just scatter seeds in a 4X8 raised bed, lightly rake in, and forget about them until July when we start nibbling around the edges for early carrots. They grow out and make room for each other if the soil is nice and loamy.

They are at their best right now for sweetness and size.

13. billb3

billb3

The last of my bell and poblano peppers:
    IMG_1546.JPG

Anaheims:
    IMG_1547.JPG

What I believe was a hot banana pepper plant:
    IMG_1548.JPG

14. billb3

billb3

Just pulled these out of a 5 gallon bucket.
    IMG_1550.JPG
    For stew in the slow cooker tomorrow.

15. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Just curious if the bucket was outdoors and if you have had a hard freeze yet? The only thing left in my raised beds are some carrots (they were growing very slowly) and I'm wondering if they are still worth digging up. Obviously we've had hard freezes up this way. This was my first year getting back into gardening since I was a kid so I'm having to relearn a lot of stuff all over again.

16. billb3

billb3

Yes the bucket is/has been outdoors. I don't think we've had a really hard freeze here yet. Bucket soil usually freeze before anything in the ground . I've made that mistake with trees in pots. Have to bury the pots in something even if it is just leaves. Usually it takes several below freezing nights to kill off the tops. Especially carrots in the ground. I have kept carrots in the ground all Winter and gone out and dug some up any time I wanted some. I have covered them over with leaves and where I live it's been enough to stop them from freezing unless we get some really, really long-ish extended period of near 0ºF weather. What I've found is if I keep ice from forming in the top layers of soil by keeping the soil dry they fare rather well. Dry soil being a much better insulator than wet soil. (Works for your basement too ) Unfortunately the little sheet film row covers I've used also sheltered voles and they ate all the carrots. :headbang:

Those carrots are likely still good if you can still get a shovel/digging fork in the ground. The carrots are likely still OK even if they froze . A foot or so of leaves is pretty good insulation. Freeze/thaw cycles will turn them into mush.

I have a whole row in the garden still but the deer have hopped my fence at some point in the last two weeks and eaten all the tops off. The carrots are still good, they can be hard to find under snow and leaves though.

They often are quite a bit sweeter with some cold weather.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  17. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Appreciate the info and advice. My raised gardens are in stock tanks so the dirt will freeze quicker than contemporary raised gardens (probably the same principle as your bucket). We only had our first snow a few days ago and prior to that, the tops of the carrots were still standing up and thriving. It's supposed to warm up on Monday, so I'll probably dig them up and see if they're good to go. The pic is from earlier in the year but shows what I'm working with.

12.jpg

hovlandhomestead, billb3 and wildwest like this.
  18. billb3

billb3

I have a few buckets, bigger pots and tubs. I have found the top inch or two of soil one big solid chunk of ice in the early Spring making it difficult to get an early start. A sheet of plywood or even plastic on top in the Fall helps keep the rain out and solves that problem. I like to mix some compost and fertilizer in the top couple inches of soil early for prep. I've had problems with slugs so I grow some things in buckets and tubs. Which helps some. I've grown lettuce in milk crates with a garbage bag for a liner too.

EODMSgt and wildwest like this.
  19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:drool:
    I drool over your set up too Bill. There is a place here that gives away tree buckets, from 5-25 gal once a year or more. I noticed both you and the Sgt. have your planters up off the ground which would be helpful for me, on my list :yes:. Husband is adding a new room here, a good part of the house roof will now drain into a single valley, I'm hoping to funnel that into 2 elevated IBC totes to a gravity feed since we have to haul our water here. Hope it can get done after the mosquito spraying (4th of July week here) but I'm dreamin' of a cool set up!

billb3 and EODMSgt like this.
  20. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I had planned to make some covers for the stock tanks but ran out of time and material before the snow fell. If I can scrounge some scrap plywood, I will try to get them covered before we get hammered with snow. This last growing season I didn't even get anything planted until around the second week of June so I'm hoping for an earlier start next year. Your method of using different containers for growing (i.e., buckets and milk crates) has me thinking about next season. One problem I found this past year was that I overcrowded the tanks (rookie mistake). I have some plastic 55-gallon drums that bear bait came in so I may cut one or two down (either in half or lengthwise) to get some more growing real estate. My soil is typical for NH in that it is full of granite which makes the raised beds almost a necessity.
    After all the back surgeries, not having to bend over to work the garden is a blessing and the stock tanks really worked out well and hit the marks I was hoping for (easy to reach/maintain, easy to move with the tractor, drain well, and most importantly - the veggies grew very well). I had a few crops that didn't do well but I blame that on rookie mistakes of the gardener, not the stock tanks! We had no shortage of rain this year however I am thinking of eventually coming up with a system like you mentioned using an IBC tote and rainwater to gravity feed the tanks.