In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gardening Gardening

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by mattjm1017, Jan 18, 2014.

1. farmer steve

farmer steve

Incredible is an excellent yellow corn. I grew it for years. It's a big ear and takes a tad more fertilizer to get nice ears. Great for freezing.

Chvymn99, Horkn, Midwinter and 5 others like this.
  2. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

Out in garden this morning before rain, while our oldest boy was cleaning some of our fish

upload_2020-5-16_8-13-1.png
    Strawberry bed with 4 blueberry bushes and garlic behind it...looks like corn.

upload_2020-5-16_8-14-12.png
    Example of asparagus with companion lettuce, garlic and dill.
    We have been eating heavily off this asparagus bed.

upload_2020-5-16_8-16-29.png
    Two of my six apple trees that are starting to flower.

3. cnice_37

cnice_37

Been 3 years without any kind of garden. Far from pros, started with 2 raised beds this year made from remnants of a deck. Lined between PT and soil with an old pool liner.

IMG_20200516_135737246_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200516_135613505_HDR_compress65.jpg

4. Warner

Warner

39EB2ACA-65F7-463E-BBAC-C82604A9E6DB.jpeg We are expanding the vegetable garden this year. I’m looking for a solution to keeping the deer out. We don’t have rabbits or woodchucks here yet. Any suggestions on an affordable deer defense?

5. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

On our property up north we had an outdoor dog (Chesapeake) when we lived there and never had a problem with deer or bears. Now we are not there (and no longer have a dog).

So I went from a large tilled row garden - to a large garden with individual 4' X 8' X 8" raised beds. Well last year the deer were relentless and even ate my garlic plants, potato vines and rhubarb.

So this spring I cut enough branches for each bed to provide a support for a 3' to 4' high chicken wire hoop over all my plants. I stapled the ends to the sides of the beds and wired shut the openings between sections, which can be unwired for me to access the ground for weeding, thinning and harvesting. Sure enough the very day I finished I saw a deer inspecting my emerging garlic through the wire, then moving on.

I have heard that a couple courses of fishing line around the perimeter 3'-6' off the ground might work, as somehow they don't seem to want to walk right through it, or jump it, but I don't have any first hand experience with this method.

6. Warner

Warner

Funny you mention it, Tried the fishing line with with out much success and it wasn’t very nice to look at.. I’m thinking a tall fence will be in order. Just trying to balance cost and aesthetics.

7. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Deer are relentless in their pursuit of our gardens.

8. woody5506

woody5506

This will be my first year with a garden at our current house. We have a lot of deer and all sorts of other critters so I sprung for a decent fence...

Critterfence Black Square 1 Inch Grid

My thought is the 1" grid will keep "nearly" everything out from squirrels to deer. I got the 6' tall stuff, 100ft roll. I think I'll only need about 85 feet. It took me a bit to pull the trigger because it's not the cheapest stuff around but, in my opinion, all the cheaper options available locally at stores were kinda pointless - they were either small grid fences only 3 or 4 ft high or 6-8 foot high options but with 3 or 4" grid patterns which I'd think would be useless for rabbits or anything else that could fit through that size hole. So I figure hopefully it's a "buy once cry once" type of deal.

Honestly the fence has been the biggest hiccup for me in this project. I guess I'm just gonna drive 8' metal stakes hopefully 1.5-2ft down and just run the fencing along those, that way if I want to expand the space next year I won't have to mess with moving a more permanent fence.

Loon, FatBoy85, oldspark and 6 others like this.
  9. farmer steve

farmer steve

Knew the rain was coming so I hit the asparagus patch early this morning. Selling this to a friend that goes to a couple of D.C. market's. I need to trim it and bunch into 1/2 lb bundles for her. She gets $5 a bunch.:bug:
    20200522_074913.jpg

10. Midwinter

Midwinter

I still remember how good that was... 209335-751c7782f4304f85e9cab667ef9c292d.jpg

TurboDiesel, Monster80, Loon and 8 others like this.
  11. Marshel54

Marshel54

Finished up the garden today for all practical purpose. I have a planting of corn to put in in two weeks.
    Re-tilled the areas that hadn't been planted.
    Put in 6 rows of corn, a row of banana peppers and a row of cucumbers. I will have a small space left over. Don't know if I will put it in corn or some vegetables. Maybe some Kohlrabi. Haven't grow that for years, or another planting of green beans.

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

What does the pool liner do?

13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Likely keeping weeds at bay.

14. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I know this garden gets a bit repetitive but I find myself bringing plants that have not done well in pots or the like and they seem to do better now. It’s beginning to warm up consistently now and Sugarbug87 and I have done NUMEROUS additions in several parts of this garden and hers alone. We are Not finished. But suffice to say we are in enjoyment of the fruits of the labors. Several surprise plants have come up and we are starting many from seed. The box below contains 4 rows of seeded corn and 2 different brussel sprouts 4 plants each. My daughter planted 4 plants of watermelon, two kinds: one is sugarbaby and other is an unknown. Very hard to grow here in WA state. Soil must be 75-80° norm.
    Again too many to list here but hopefully our salad needs are taken care of and others to give out to friends and possibly chickees!

Attached Files:

15. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Pulling radishes from my small container garden IMG_20200526_064047954_HDR.jpg

Nice peppery taste. Not too hot.

This is the third time I've tried growing them. First two were failures. They never formed true radishes, bolted and sent up seed heads. I think I started them too late, too much heat. I started these early April, bringing the container indoors when frost was forcasted.

I'll be doing this again. Very pleased with the results.

16. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I hope mine look that good in a few weeks. I haven't grown any for years.

17. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

They're actually juicy. Lots of water is released when eating. Good luck with yours!

18. woody5506

woody5506

Finally got my fence up yesterday. Worked on it Sunday, driving 8ft posts into the ground was going fine until I hit a weird rocky patch which I tried to power through. Post started angling a bit toward me, though I didn't notice. Ended up whacking myself in the forehead with that 16lb post driver because of it :doh::headbang::picard:needless to say that put me out for the count for the day. Mild concussion for sure but luckily didn't pass out or throw up. Luckily the neighbor is a nurse and glued my head. Took it easy for the rest of the day, woke up Monday feeling pretty good. One thing that made me feel a little better was seeing endless content online of people doing the same or similar things with post drivers. So anyway I got out there Monday to finish the job CAREFULLY...

Never woulda thought any part of starting a garden would lay me out like that!!! May have lost a few IQ points from that thump to the head but at least the garden is looking decent now.

Chvymn99, Loon, Mitch Newton and 6 others like this.
  19. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Beautiful radishes! If you don't mind me asking, what are you using for soil/potting mix/fertilizer in your container? I've tried growing radishes a half dozen times in the last 3-4 years with only limited success. I've had them in soil with too much nitrogen where they only produced a huge top with no root, I've had them in the ground, in containers, tried them as a companion plant partially shaded next to tomatoes, tried fertilizing only with bone meal, etc. I know it's getting later in the season but I'm saving a couple packages of seeds to try again in the late summer/fall.

Chvymn99, Loon, Brandon Scott and 3 others like this.
  20. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

It's a 50/50 mix of generic potting soil and homemade compost. No additional fertilizer.

Chvymn99, Loon, Brandon Scott and 5 others like this.