In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Future Work for 2020

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Did you call that warehouse?

I hate wind and although they speak of March being the windy month I've always thought April was the worst. I see some high winds forecast for us too. The weather does not look good from tonight through next week. If if rains on Easter, it will rain for the next 6 Sundays.

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Not yet, we actually went out in the real world today and made three quick stops but there wasn't anyone there except for the person at the checkout.

Accu has us getting wind gust up to 58 on Monday, we have over 20 gallons of gas for the genny if needed. I did get one Maple down today and then s & s it. If my count is correct we have 46 plus face cord stacked, I would like another 6 plus face cord this spring and then I can stack some frickin pine.

3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I stacked the Maple I c/s today on the stack of cherry,ironwood and beech I started the other day and the second load went on a 16 foot long stack of ash I started some time back. (not pictured)

In the first picture you can see where it had been damaged and that is why I felled this Maple.

Attached Files:

4. Backwoods Savage

Same forecast as we have. Hopefully they are wrong again.

thewoodlands likes this.
  5. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I hope so but we've had our share of storms that stayed north or south of us in the past, maybe it's time we get hit.

I did move some stuff out of the woods to a safer area, the bucket and forks. In the first picture I dropped the plow (it's back on) and then moved everything along with the splitter.

We also put in two smaller loads of pine and some chitty hardwood for at night, we had 28 this morning.

I cleaned the 310 along with the 311, I also fired up the 660 with the 25 inch bar with chain ready if needed. I also started up the generator so we should be set.

Attached Files:

6. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Stay safe Dennis. Happy Easter to you and Judy.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  7. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

It will be a good day for drying the laundry on the line, just put a rope around Judy when she goes out. :heidi:

8. Backwoods Savage

That's okay. She will do laundry and hang it all inside near the stove. I just started a fire a little bit ago. Winds only at 38 right now. Not bad. They say 31 sustained but I don't think so. The treetops barely wiggle and sometimes stop until a gust comes along and it does not take much for the top of a pine tree to bend. I can see the ones on the ridge and right now they are still. Whoops, now they are waving but not bad.

Chazsbetterhalf and thewoodlands like this.
  9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

The winds aren't real bad here at the moment, I think the advisory goes until 5 a.m. tomorrow morning.

10. Backwoods Savage

It was not that bad yesterday and the winds calmed down towards night. Gusts only to 20 right now so the big blow is done, thankfully.

Chazsbetterhalf and thewoodlands like this.
  11. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Our winds picked up last night but nothing that even made the lights flicker, it's still breezy today with some sun and the jets from Fort Drum flying in this area today.

12. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Way to get after it thewoodlands . Nice stacks of firewood, ready for a nap.

13. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I better get my azz going, I'm taking this shelter in-place to a new level. :D

14. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

After the not so bad winds a few days ago, I decided that the trails would get checked, not a thing down on the trails I checked.

I went back to this Maple (I'm thinking Sugar) that the top was blown out of last year, about seven rounds weren't worth a chit. I split everything that was good and then stacked it with some Ash, I have some smaller rounds of Ash in the woods that I'll finish off the stack with.

Attached Files:

15. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I finally felled a bunch of Ash today, five trees. The first was the biggest and the rest will be nice to work with. I did finish bucking up the first one.

Attached Files:

16. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I had four Ash down from yesterday, I bucked up three today and rolled them down the hill. Not all rounds are in the pictures, after I get my next 16 foot area leveled off I'll start s & s.

Attached Files:

17. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I did some trail clearing in an area that I plan on cutting some damaged American Hophornbeam, I don't get up in this area much so we have plenty of dead pine down.

I did have a trail open in this area a few years ago so I cleared all the down chit off it. I did see about three nice ash in this area with a topped off maple (sugar I hope ) that I'll be getting soon. I do plan on making two new trails in this area that go through the middle of it but far enough apart that if one gets blocked off I can use the other. The main trail runs on the outside before it drops off.

I did take the camera with me but it was saying there was something wrong with the card so no pictures.

The Rhino has 7500 miles on hit, that is 576.9230769230769 per year. (13)

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

1. Today I siphoned the gas out of the snowblower and then ran the carb dry.
    2. I cleaned the back of the rhino out and the leaves got cleaned out from underneath.
    3. Grabbed the 028 Wood Boss and have that ready for a tree.
    4. Hand filed some rakers down on five chains.
    5. Sharpened 3 chains on the grinder, two of those chains are almost history.
    6. Cleaned the sand out of the garage where the rhino comes in.
    7. Made two fires.
    8. Took the wife and the dog for a ride while we were getting some snow.

19. yooperdave

yooperdave

Roughly around there or so...… :yes:

Depending on calendar year or years in service would be the next question! :whistle:

20. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We bought it in the spring of 2007.