In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Free Natural Gas Heat

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by RDG, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Horkn

Horkn

Same here. I'd still burn wood, but if ng were actually free, I'd might actually take the insert out and run the open fireplace. While I get good light and great great from the insert, the glass is only so big. With the FP, you get a HUGE wall of flames.

However, ng isn't free, and I love my super low ng bills, which are just above the minimum monthly service charges mostly from the 4 other ng appliances.

2. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, there'd be a big ng boiler in my house with radiant heat everywhere. Heated driveway, heated towel bars, and a hot tub.

3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Natural Gas.

4. Warner

Warner

I have no experience with NG it’s not available in these parts. For a wile they were trying to put a compressor station less than .25 miles from my house. That seems to be squashed for now. Will NG appliances run without electricity?

Cash Larue, JoeinO, billb3 and 3 others like this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Some, yes...like a stove...or a water heater.

6. billb3

billb3

Yeah, there are convection propane/nat gas room heaters that use no electricity. They were/might still be quite common in double/triple deckers apartments.

7. jo191145

jo191145

But but but, how would I dry my firewood cuttin clothes?

Yes I would burn free gas, maybe. I do the firewood for a little excercise and I enjoy wood heat. Oils pretty cheap right now. Just put a new furnace in two years ago. I used it as a backup to make sure the house temp never dropped below 62. Tanks empty right now and I don’t know if I’ll bother filling it. If I do I may get lazier than I am now, not good.

8. papadave

papadave

I'd still do a mix, but heavier on the NG side. As everyone here knows, ain't nuttin' like a good stove fire.
    Modern furnaces (if you can get a gooder one) and a stat to go with are very good at controlling temp swings. Ours runs on "low fire" almost all winter.....unless it's pretty dang cold.
    Having said that, wife was just "commenting" on the house temp, and I told her it's almost 70 in here. She was still chilly with 2 blankets on while napping. Almost time for another fire, I'd say.:dex:

9. JoeinO

JoeinO

No doubt I would take advantage of free gas. We had a boiler and hot water heat at our last home and we loved it.
    Know nothing about radiant heat but would want anything other than forced air if I had a choice. And the$$$
    Enjoy my insert because of the big site window the lower gas bills the hole process of CSS.
    Bottom line, never spent a snowy winter night all cozy next to anything better then a wood fire. Starting to see age as a
    game changer though.

Cash Larue and brenndatomu like this.