In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Free barn...

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Eggshooterist, May 24, 2024.

1. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

My nephew wants the barn torn down from the property of my childhood home. Its hand hewn log frame. Still solid and standing. It was built in the early 50's. He's put feelers out offering it for free for the wood. No takers. Is this akin to the free tree job for the wood type add? Its a shame he isn't willing to put some time and money into it to revitalize it but he wants new everything. I'll try to get pictures just for reference. This isn't an add, just a question. But if someone is interested, well better hurry. Lol.

2. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

3. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

4. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Some pics...

Hayloft floor is all hardwood as far as we know. As a kid it supported as many as 1000 bales of hay plus straw bales. It has the track in the peak for a hay fork with the trolley and pulleys. The corn crip is junk but the barn structure is sound yet.

20240524_141111.jpg 20240524_141227.jpg 20240524_141249.jpg 20240524_141309.jpg 20240524_141324.jpg

Hinerman, Eric VW, Chvymn99 and 16 others like this.
  5. Wolley

Wolley

Tearing down a barn to reuse the wood is a crazy amount of work. Being 1950's vintage, there's little to zero desirability to wood collectors. Old barns rarely meet modern farmer or personal needs so starting new makes sense. The pics look like ever other barn around here, serious deferred maintenance makes it an easy decision to knock it down

6. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

A real shame to see a piece of family history torn down. But, being that it's only from the 1950s and not an ancient barn built from old growth lumber, that kind of diminishes the prospects of an interested salvager. I see lots of aspen logs and what looks to be hemlock? It appears nothing too valuable, lumber-wise. You'd have to find the right group of hipsters looking for weathered barn wood that are willing to put in the work to acquire it. It would be a hard sell. If it were me I would save a small pile of the better floorboards and build a nice bench, among other things. At least that way a physical piece of your childhood can stay with you indefinitely. $0.02

7. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

That where he's at. Start fresh. It has low ceilings and the concrete floor is crumbling.

8. billb3

billb3

Yeah, a purpose built barn is hard to justify the maintenance/upkeep when you no longer have the purpose for it, especially when it has no historical value .
    A couple of the local dairy farms replaced their old wood barns with modern metal framed and clad barns to be able to use more modern equipment and squeeze a couple more cows in. $$$
    Tearing my dad's old barns down was a decades old project. There is one left. I've had a few carpenters and other trade guys say they want the ridge beam as it is quite old and oversized - like 5 x 10 or 12, but no one has the time to even help remove it. They'll all come and take it though.
    I'll burn it before I give it away or let it rot in the woods.
    Some of the old barns were used for high school football bonfire rallies. Back in the days when almost no one wondered what was in the paint on the boards. Neat colors though. :)

9. Softwood

Softwood

Not sure where you’re located but the Amish around here are known to dismantle old barns. I’ve even seen wanted ads from them in the local papers.

Last edited: May 24, 2024
  10. Warner

Warner

IMG_3933.jpeg It’s sad to see the old barns go. This one sits on family property. It’s a dairy barn set up with stanchions not really usable without a ton of work to the floor. The roof on the pasteurizing room to the right is now falling in and the sills on the right side are crumbling. I wish I had the funds to save it.

11. clay shooter

clay shooter

12. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

We have a pretty large Amish community 20 miles north.

13. Softwood

Softwood

It'd be worth his time reaching out to them I'd think, if he hasn't already.

14. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

He hasn't. I told him to head up their way. They have a big grocery store, boot and leather store and a very large mini barn business. Mast mini barns.

15. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I grew up with that barn being a jungle jim. Lol. Lots of great memories.

16. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I reached out to a neighbor who knows "a lot" of people. There is a guy very interested in the barn and is coming this weekend to look at it. Fingers crossed for the nephew.

17. JD Guy

JD Guy

Sure hope it works out for the barn to be repurposed instead of just demolished and burned. In some markets there is a demand for authentic weathered barn wood to be reused inside as wall boards.

18. sms4life

sms4life

One of my best friends has an old barn that is in decent shape, but it was neglected for many years and it shows. A few years after he bought it, a barn conservation group reached out wanting to preserve it. He was interested, until they laid down the price. I don't remember the number, but it was stupid. These old barns are expensive to do anything with, other than let them fall over. And that is a shame.

19. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I believe that might be what this guy is into or maybe rebuilding it somewhere else. I'll know more this weekend.

20. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

There also could be still a fairly large tax on that barn. I've seen this before. And another problem is now they even want you to get a permit to tear it down! Now that is stupid and greedy.