In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Found standing dead aspen trees, questioning usability for emergency firewood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Martin Denis, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Martin Denis

Martin Denis

Hey guys

Some of you may have seen my post about the mistake i made storing green wood inside my basement. I rectified that and it was suggested to me to look for standing dead trees as an emergency wood source. I found one which i cut and split immediately but i'm honestly not sure it's good wood at all. The logs are INCREDIBLY light, a fraction of what a similarly-sized green log would weigh. I expected that but maybe not to that extent. The wood is not rotten in any way, similar color as the green wood but FAR softer and drier. By soft, i mean i can rip pieces off of it with my bare hands, albeit with significant force (is that why they are called soft woods lol?). It almost feels slightly spongy if that makes any sense. It splits somewhat cleanly and is obviously far less rigid judging by the noise it makes when it splits.

Any thoughts?

2. Chaz

Chaz

Sounds like it's getting punky.
    The cell structure is breaking down.

Not sure how good it will be.

3. Martin Denis

Martin Denis

I harvested 2 so far, the other one looks much better, still has some weight to it but the bark is peeling off easily, i'll continue scouting my lot hopefully i find more that are decent.

4. Timberdog

Timberdog

What’s the definition of “emergency”? Do you have other heat sources like a furnace or electric heaters? If wood will be your only heat source then yes, burn it if it’s all you got until you can acquire better wood. You gotta do whatever it takes to stay warm. You’ll just have to reload more frequently plus the extra exercise will help you stay warm too, lol.

5. Martin Denis

Martin Denis

I have 2 cords of dry wood and 12 of various stages of green wood, all neatly organised. I may be able to purchase 1 or 2 extra cords of dry wood but i'm doing everything i can to gather as much of my own as possible, saving that money wouldn't hurt. Emergency was probably not the right word, let's go with last minute same-year wood.

6. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

they should be firm, but definitely shouldnt be able to pull them apart! Ge the other one split ASAP, and look for more. Do you have a moisture meter? Might be a good investment.

7. jo191145

jo191145

Lowe’s usually has a moisture meter in stock. Finding an employee that knows where they are is another story. Website usually gives aisle and bin number but in my case that aisle didn’t exist. Would’ve need a hell of addition to get to aisle 52 LOL
    Not familiar with aspen but if you can tear a round apart by hand it’s either junk or you need to be in the WWF

8. jo191145

jo191145

It is possible to find standing dead that’s dry. Not easy but possible. Usually the bottom 4 feet or so will have ground moisture in it. Gets dryer as you get higher. Much depends on how much rain you’ve had lately. I’m more familiar with the oak species. A dry standing dead oak will be hard as iron. In my experience not a big tree. Somewhere in the 6-8” area. Big trees seem to keep moisture locked in for long periods.

If it’s dead, barkless, relatively dry, and not punky you can cut and split. Bring it in the basement,,,,maybe close to the stove. It’ll dry pretty fast once you have the heat going.
    I’m assuming you have an older stove because you said it had modified ductwork. Too much moisture in an older stove is dangerous but at the same time they are used to it ;)
    If you ever see any signs of moisture in the chimney or pipe from burning (wet, runny creosote) you’ve entered the danger zone. Stop at once

9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Welcome to the club. Bunch of great folks here sharing knowledge and humor. I think you will enjoy it here. Can't answer your question on the aspen, but we will burn the lighter sap part of oak while the heart is drying.

10. Martin Denis

Martin Denis

What if i am in the WWF? :dex:Joking aside, i wouldn't say i'm tearing rounds apart but it's very easy to chip little pieces off of it. It feels very soft to the touch.

11. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

If you can press a screwdriver into it, you probably want to take a pass on it, and keep looking.

A picture of the cut end would help us.

12. Martin Denis

Martin Denis

I was able to jam a square screwdriver about half an inch deep using most of my strength. It's not falling apart or anything but let's just say i wouldn't build anything too mission-critical with it if you know what i mean.
    20191008_202313.jpg

13. jo191145

jo191145

It’s punked. If it’s dry it will burn,,,,fast.

14. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Looks punky to me. Even getting some spalting. I wouldn't invest too much time in it, but if it's all you have or gets you out of a bind, then yes, grab it.

15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

16. Martin Denis

Martin Denis

The one on the left is from another standing dead. MUCH harder but the bark can be removed rather easily. Feels kinda moist though.

17. jo191145

jo191145

Guess I should say I’ve seen and burned worse. Sometimes you do what ya gotta do.
    Once you get established you’ll want to shy away from punky stuff. Usually holds water like a sponge, burns fast with less heat.
    Doesn’t mean we all havent used it though.

18. Martin Denis

Martin Denis

Kinda wish i had used it right now, it is hot as hell in here! :MM:

19. jo191145

jo191145

:) :)
    Seeing as your from Canada I’d save the good stuff for when it really gets cold

NH mountain man, Chaz, Sean and 4 others like this.
  20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

That's what windows are for...