In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Forstner find

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Greenstick, Dec 14, 2015.

  1. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    I am trying to find a good forstner bit that is reasonably priced and works well. It needs to be 1 3/4". The brand I have available in town has marginal reviews and I won't say its name just to not bias replies. I have no experience with these bits, any tips or tricks are appreciated.
     
    papadave likes this.
  2. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,274
    Likes Received:
    66,602
    Location:
    IN
    :popcorn:

    I need a good set.
     
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I've been looking for a set for a while .......halfheartedly though.
    Have you looked online?
    :popcorn:
     
  4. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    The prices and quality are all over the place. I just needed two sizes and bought the Diablos at HD. I just don't use them much and they work fine for what I was doing.
     
    papadave and Greenstick like this.
  5. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Been looking online but not having ever been around them I hope to hear from actual users. What features are good or bad?
     
  6. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Free hand or drill press?
     
  7. unclefess

    unclefess Guest

    if they are not cutting well reduce your speed and raise the bit often to clear the chips,that will help even with the cheapest bits.
     
    papadave likes this.
  8. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Either one. I use a drill press for better control.

    I have a single and double cutter bits, both work pretty fast.
     
    Greenstick likes this.
  9. JustWood

    JustWood Guest

    I bought a set from Northern tool that works well. I believe it was 3/4"-3".
    Was on sale cheap at the time. Thinking $40ish
     
    Greenstick likes this.
  10. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,