In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

For the money, WHO, sells the best tarps?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by B.Brown, Jan 16, 2020.

1. B.Brown

B.Brown

Looking for some good, long lasting tarps to cover wood with, who, or where do you find good long lasting, tarps, that really do last more than a year or 2? thanks And, yes i do fold them up in the summer and put them away.

2. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Probably not what you’re looking for, but I haven’t found anything better than canvas and I don’t want to pay much for wood covering if I can help it. I found a local truck tarp place that gives away the old tarps. Few holes here or there, but I like to cut them into 5’widths so they hang over the 4’ wide piles a bit, and they’re heavy enough that a few uglies or whatever else is handy keeps them from
    Blowing around. It was a pain to deal with in full size but once I opened it all up and cut my sections it seems like it’ll last a long time. Others found similar success with rubber roof membrane if you can come across some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Bret Hart

Bret Hart

4. B.Brown

B.Brown

Years ago, i was working in construction, we were in the desert, all the materials that came in i had to cover them with canvas!! Boy, you talk about sad, watching those nice canvas tarps degrading over about 2 yrs. They were nice tarps too. i had to watch them bleach out, start tearing with the wind, then eventually blow off the materials that we had them covered with. There is a tarp ''builder'' west of me, i should go see what he has, he also builds some super nice wall tents for hunting. I"ve had one of his tents for about 15 yrs now, its a great tent. I'm going to contact some sign people today as well and check out the material they use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screwloose likes this.
  5. B.Brown

B.Brown

Well, that didn't take long, just ordered a 14x45 billboard tarp, it will come out of LA calif. and should be here within the week. Right now, its raining and cold here in the PNW, looking forward to getting rid of these cheesy old plastic tarps and finally getting some thing that will really keep all the wood dry. total 72 bucks and change, shipped.

6. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Just an add on here since we are on the subject of tarps. Here is a handy item from Harbor Freight to use on that spot on the tarp that has no grommet but needs one to tighten up that area. I keep buying a few at a time when ever I need them so now have a bunch. I use them on the wood stack tarps with nails and they also help on the plastic fly over the wall tent when deer or elk hunting. They are well made and work surprisingly well. tarpclips.JPG

7. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Well, for the money, harbor freight has provided me with many blue tarps that last me for at least a few years, with proper care.

$0.00 per tarp.

Hard to beat that ratio of value.

They have gotten smaller recently, and the coupons for free tarps fewer in frequency, (have about a dozen of those blue LED flashlights now), but still see them occasionally.

Neighbors don't love them, but hey!

8. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

I use the green hf tarps. I found they usually die in my area from sun and wind. I usually get 3-4 years out of the green ones, maybe 1-2 out of the blue ones. Ymmv

9. B.Brown

B.Brown

image.jpeg Got my billboard tarp today, it's 14x48! It's black on one side and a giant Rolex sign on the other side. Got it fast! Very fast shipping time!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  10. B.Brown

B.Brown

image.jpeg This is the sign side, it's a Rolex sign

11. jrider

jrider

If you can find an old pool liner, you will be more than happy with that as a tarp.

Midwinter and metalcuttr like this.
  12. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

That's pretty cool.

You may have already said this, but how do you intend to slice this up?

I love to see recycling stuff like this.

metalcuttr and Midwinter like this.
  13. B.Brown

B.Brown

I'll measure out 24 ft, then put a 2x4 or 2x6 across and under it, then, nail another 2x4 on top of that, then use a linoleum knife to cut it nice and neat. Or, strike a line on it, with a colored chalk line, then do the same thing. Might have to wait for a while, its supposed to be raining for the next 10 plus days here in the PNW, but, we'll get her done. That will give me 2, 14x24 tarps

14. B.Brown

B.Brown

I would have liked to have done just that, but, there's not many options for some thing like that around here. Although, if our grand daughter gets a tree across her, big pool, hmmmmmmmmmmm na, can't do that. lol.

15. B.Brown

B.Brown

Got my 14x48 tarp cut, today, sure glad i went downtown, to a friends business parking lot, this is a big tarp in length. I guess i've forgotten how long 48 ft is, i unfolded it, and measured down from the top 24 ft, actually cut it with a pair of Fiskars succors! Piece of cake. And, i blew his parking lot off with my stihl BP Blower for letting me do it. Took about an hour, for that, and about 10 min to unfold, and cut at the 24ft mark.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Chvymn99, metalcuttr and Midwinter like this.
  16. B.Brown

B.Brown

image.jpeg Here is a picture of the sign side of my "tarp" the red broom on the lower left corner measures 54" long. Might put it sign side up, so a plane passing overhead can see what time it is,lol

Midwinter, Chvymn99, MikeInMa and 3 others like this.
  17. woody5506

woody5506

For the money my vote goes to the green harbor freight tarps. Usually I get the 11x8' for $8 or I think 11x15 for $10? Something like that. I got one going on 4 years and I leave them out year round. Seems like the blue ones seep water pretty easily.

Midwinter likes this.
  18. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I'm not a big fan of tarps in general.

*The woven poly tarps aren't waterproof. Only water resistant in my experiences. The blue cheap ones rip very easy, the green and brown ones are heavier duty, but still rip and they have to be weighed down to not blow away. They all tend to trap moisture inside as well.

*The canvas tarps are pricey and in my experiences shrink (considerably) when in direct sunlight. I had one as a temp garage door, and I bet it shrunk 3-4" each way.

*The real solution IMHO is to have solid structures with real roofs. If wood piles, I think a better solution is metal roof panels laid on top with weight added.

Reddingnative likes this.
  19. cnice_37

cnice_37

That is some GREEN grass for winter! So for $72 and some cutting you have a high quality covering. Seems like a good deal.

For a 3' wide strip, my math says you'll get over 200' of coverage. I figure about 3' wide will cover double rows which is my most convenient stack to make. At only 4' high that will cover over 18 cords!! I usually stack 5' high, 23+ cords.

20. B.Brown

B.Brown

I hear that a lot from my friend in Va, lol. Grass grows just about year around in the western part of the PNW, thousands, and thousands of acres of grass seed farming in this area as well. Bet if you look at a grass seed bag, depending on the seed type most of it is grown right around us. I planted some seed about a month ago, and its already almost 2'' tall. Plus, we've been getting a lot of rain so far this year.